PDA

View Full Version : Search and Rescue Assignment

Ridgerunner
21st Oct 2005, 13:08
Hello all,

I am interested in a career with the RAF. I am through to the Medical stage of the ESUAS after passing second interview. I assume I stand a good chance of being in the squadron provided I pass the medical well? I am about to complete my JAR PPL so I think this helped with my application. I would like to join the RAF, not particularly as fast jet, but more for either the transporters or perhaps choppers if I get streamed for that.

I am particularly interested in the SAR side of RAF operations. How would one get assigned to the Nimrod flying SAR out of Kinloss or something? I am attracted by the job satisfaction and challenging flying associated with this side of the RAF (although I'm sure any RAF flying job would have both of these!)

Any information on how likely it would be to gain this sort of post after the labourious selection process and training would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ridgerunner

Yellow Sun
21st Oct 2005, 13:21
Nimrod flying SAR out of Kinloss or something?

SAR standby on the Nimrod force is covered on a weekly (?) rotating basis by the Kinloss squadrons. SAR is just one of the roles of the force and there are no dedicated SAR crews.

YS

Ridgerunner
21st Oct 2005, 13:24
Ok,

So I'd need to look at getting onto Nimrods then?

kippermate
21st Oct 2005, 16:42
Ask OC ESUAS, he's an ex-nimrod pilot.

:ok:

kipper

VigilantPilot
21st Oct 2005, 17:49
I know you have got to have a goal/vision, but you also have to be realistic. You are streamed after EFT according to three factors, in order of importance:

Your flying performance/ability
Service Needs
Personal Preference

Preference is the least contributory factor. It is only really applicable in a few cases where the candidate sits on the boundary between two streams. Only then does it really count.

So, you could be desperate to be one of the Joanna's crowd, but perform well, and if there are slots available, you'll go jets. Alternatively, theoretically, you could be a capable aviator, with no jets places you could end up in rotary or multi stream.

Timing counts for a lot!

Ridgerunner
21st Oct 2005, 17:51
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I hope to learn a lot from joining the UAS if I get in.

Thanks