PDA

View Full Version : SA/NZ Validation

Jetstream_lover
21st Oct 2005, 11:54
Hi guys
Maybe someone could help me with a few snippets of info! I am a kiwi who is flying in Africa with a south african licence. I know from the CAA what i have to do convert my licence to a NZ one but i would like to know with the current job market there how many hours i would need to make me relatively employable! I dont want the airlines but more so light twin work and maybe even some crop dusting, just some interesting flying, at the moment i have 600 hours total and 200 hours twin. Also when one has a NZ licence is it possible to use that licence to fly in Aus/PNG
Thanks in advance for your time
Cheers for now

Jetstream_lover
22nd Oct 2005, 14:05
Hey guys, i find it hard to believe that no one has any info here, come on guys, help out a naive aviator!!!

skytops
24th Oct 2005, 05:41
With 600 hours TT including 200 multi it would be well worth your while applying for a GA job in NZ, e.g. Sunair, Mountain Air, Great Barrier Airlines and plenty others. There's a shortage of pilots in GA with good multi time. 200 is more than most trying to get into GA. You'll find lots of snippets ofinformation on GA operators in NZ if you search this site. But you need to get your NZ CPL first of course!

You' d have to get an ag-rating of course to do crop spraying. Takes a while to get in to. Expect to work as a loader-driver for a while first and you'll probably have to pay for the rating yourself (expensive!!).

With an NZ license you can can convert it to an Australian license much easier. At the time when I applied for an Aus license with my NZ license it was just a case of paperwork and I got an Aus license immediately...although I think I heard recently that its now not quite so simple. Can anyone else comment on this?

For flying in PNG my guess is that they would give you a PNG license quite easily based on your NZ or Aus license,. Perhaps after doing a PNG airlaw exam? Again, perhaps someone with first hand experience can answer this?

What sort of flying have you been doing? Have you been flying in South Africa, or 'Real Africa'?