PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

redED
20th Oct 2005, 15:28
Having searched and browsed the PPRuNe forums there seems to be a lot of questions and answers on how to become a commercial pilot however not much regarding flying in the forces (Royal Air Force and Royal Navy). Sorry for my naivety but was just wondering if i could ask you all a few questions (and hopefully get some answers):

Do you or they (the recruitment folk) decide you are to become a pilot?

Can you apply saying you want to be a pilot and if you are not deemed suitable simply walk away (?) or do you commit to a minimum service?

How many applications to successful applicants are there each year, thus how many new pilots are taken on?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
redED

Flap62
20th Oct 2005, 16:08
Hmmm, nice try - suggest you go back and re-browse pprune. This has been well and truly beaten to death countless times. Don't wish to be unhelpful but it really is a waste of everybody's time to go over this again.

VigilantPilot
20th Oct 2005, 16:16
(a) If you are applying directly, you walk into an AFCO and say "I'd like to join the RAF as a pilot." You then go through the whole selection process. If you are unsuccessful as pilot, they may offer you other options (ground branches), they may not. You are not obliged to take them.

(b) Lots and lots of initial applications per year (over 1000 I think). 120ish successful per year at the moment.

Go and find your nearest Armed Forces Career Office. If you are at school, maybe talk to your careers advsior. They will have the most up to date information.

UberPilot
20th Oct 2005, 16:32
Stats, as told to me by an OASC Officer.

10 000 ish walk off the street into AFCO's saying "I want to be a Pilot"

1000 or so get to OASC for the full selection (for Pilot)

100 get offered Pilot (roughly)

So, in total about 1 % of initial applicants get offered pilot.

Neeps
20th Oct 2005, 18:37
Try doing a search for 'OASC'. There are a few gems of information hidden about this forum, you just need the initiative to find them.

10 000 ish walk off the street into AFCO\'s saying "I want to be a Pilot"

1000 or so get to OASC for the full selection (for Pilot)

100 get offered Pilot (roughly)

I\'ve aways wondered what the roundabout figures are, I\'m grateful to be in the 1,000. It will be a comfort if I don\'t get selected that about 9,000 other people didn\'t get to the OASC stage. :)

VigilantPilot
20th Oct 2005, 20:03
Don't believe every stat you read on pprune though. I'm not saying that UberPilot is wrong, but those figures are very ballpark.

About a month ago, I read someone on here saying that there were 5 slots for pilots at oasc this year. Where do people make these figures up from?!

Neeps
20th Oct 2005, 20:56
No idea! Comment noted however, I did guess they were a roundabout figure.

Maybe it just seems like there are 5 pilot slots this year. Would make the courses very cosy. ;)