PDA

View Full Version : Ok who done this, or signed it off!

Ultralights
20th Oct 2005, 08:16
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/mmillsom/DSC00005.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/mmillsom/DSC00007.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/mmillsom/DSC00012.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/mmillsom/DSC00015.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/mmillsom/DSC00016.jpg

What kind of Airline or maintainence facility would allow such work as this..

unless..... it was a 1 flight only temp repair to get the aircraft to said repair facility.....

...... but the aircraft looks like its at a terminal!

.......or would it have been spotted in a turn around while doing a preflight by the untrained eye?? (refer first pic)

Apophis
20th Oct 2005, 08:47
Following the trail of documents should be easy to find the culprits
thats if there is any !

RevMan2
20th Oct 2005, 08:49
From the coordinates location appears to be Xian.

Does this surprise anyone? Not me....

sys 4
20th Oct 2005, 08:53
and this is where Qantas propose to send their heavy maintenance

Vacant Towers
20th Oct 2005, 08:56
Am I game enough to say that whoever did this has probably er um "bolted' by now.:E :E

VT

Pimp Daddy
20th Oct 2005, 09:01
...... but the aircraft looks like its at a terminal!

Xianyang Airport at a guess - home to China Northwest Airlines so it might be a patch to get home, or not.

HotDog
20th Oct 2005, 09:18
It is Xianyang, 34 26'49N 108 45'05E. The Xian maintenance facility is of a very high standard. The picture more than likely is of a temp. repair, about to be made permanent.

Redstone
20th Oct 2005, 10:42
Don't know what you guys are all going on about, thats one of the best paint jobs I've seen for minutes...............

numbskull
20th Oct 2005, 11:44
That's the bodgiest repair I've seen for years if not ever!!! Even with engineering approval most LAMES would question that repair. They don't even look like A/C nuts and bolts!!

It looks like its been there for a while!! Lucky we don't get heavy maint done in substandard 3rd world MRO's........ummmm........er...... not very often anyway!!!

J430
20th Oct 2005, 11:52
Think of this....thats one that can easily be seen..... And possibly quite sound!

Who did what to which last time it was in the shed, and now under your bum?????:}

J:E

Did I mention I like doing my own maintenance?:ok:

HotDog
20th Oct 2005, 12:14
Numbskull, TAECO Aircraft Engineering Company is definitely not third world.
The temp repair may have been done in a third world facility but you certainly won't be able to see any protruding bolts once TAECO finish the repair.
Qantas could do a lot worse than have their heavy maintanace done in Xiamen, if that's where they plan to outsource their heavy maintanance to.
Believe it or not but OZ is not the only country in the world that can fix aeroplanes.:rolleyes:

dude65
20th Oct 2005, 13:19
And this from the country where the entire economy revolves around the self tapping screw

Lodown
20th Oct 2005, 14:11
Looks to me like an innovative engineer showing praiseworthy initiative has added a series of design protuberances for boundary layer flow control. Did Engineer Wonwinglo balance the weight on the other aileron with a similar device?

aintsaying
20th Oct 2005, 14:30
Looks to me to be a tempory repair which is approved until next check where a pernament repair will be carried out.
Its in a non structurally sensitive area, its not a wing spar, its a aerodynamic faring.
The only problem I see is the selection method of fasteners could have been better.
The real question is what caused damage in that area? Impact from a catering truck? corrosion? Poor assembly techniques during manufacture?
Any guesses?

numbskull
20th Oct 2005, 19:29
It's usually caused by water getting into the composite structure causing delamination. The water freezes each flight and does progressively more damage.

Patches of condensation on a composite flight control or panel are a dead giveaway after the A/C lands.

Pilots better keep a good lookout for this sort of stuff because there is becoming less and less lames around to pick it up with the LAMEless transits these days.(either that or hope you have a very good cargo loader!!)

Hot dog I don't know who did the repair but is is substandard even for a temporary repair.

Feather #3
20th Oct 2005, 19:52
Dear Me,

And there I was thinking it was the latest thing in vortex generators! :uhoh:

G'day ;)

HotDog
20th Oct 2005, 23:04
Did Engineer Wonwinglo balance the weight on the other aileron with a similar device?

It's not an aileron, the patch is on the wing panel ourboard of the aileron.

Lodown
21st Oct 2005, 03:34
Oooops! That'll teach me to look in more detail next time.

Thanks.

Woomera
21st Oct 2005, 04:42
Well, at least that bit won't fall off in a hurry!

:E

Mr.Buzzy
23rd Oct 2005, 10:14
Aaarhhhsoooo Mista Dixon,
you wanne fwee pwawn cwacker wich your wickshaw wepair?

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz

barit1
23rd Oct 2005, 20:48
And this from the country where the entire economy revolves around the self tapping screw

...driven into place with a hammer, IIRC