PDA

View Full Version : Gaining hours towards frozen atpl in US compared to Uk. Good or Bad?

hedges81
19th Oct 2005, 20:46
Hi all,

I am currently weighing up modular ab-initio course options to work towards a F-ATPL.
The one in particular that is currently grabbing my attention is that provided by CCAT.
Taking this course would however mean that the majority of my hours are flown in Florida USA, with the first 150 hrs flown there.
Would this put me at a disadvantage when it comes to finding jobs with UK airlines, compared to doing the majority of my flying in the UK?
If so, why might that be the case?

Cheers,
Hedges

ConcreteFloater
25th Oct 2005, 20:10
Well hello hedges81.

What you are planning is pretty much what I have done. As far as I have ever heard, the airlines may only show an interest in where you did your Instrument Rating.

However, after flying 150 hours in the good ol' US of A you will be comfortable flying there and returning to the UK airspace for your CPL will be a slight shock to the system. Things are slightly diferent. This is not likely to be a problem and everyone who does this route adjusts without too much pain. All I can suggest it to keep your head in the books whilst you are in the US and remind yourself of UK radio, air law, airspace and general procedures. When you return things won't seem too alien... hopefully.

Good luck,

ConcreteFloater.