PDA

View Full Version : completing ATPLs in a JAA state

hughesyd
19th Oct 2005, 17:06
Hello there,

Can anybody see any disadvantages of completing ATPLs in spain or any other jaa state as compasred to the UK?. The curriculum is still the same (Oxford series) , but does anybody think that employers would look any differently as to where you did them.
Obdviousley the issuing state is where tyhe ATPLs and CPL would be completed.
Any opinions would be greatly apreciated

metar
20th Oct 2005, 13:11
To cut a super complicated story short (as I understand it)...

SOME JAA countries accept the ATPL theory passes of other member states. eg. Spain is happy to issue a CPL on the basis of UK theory (same goes for IR - which I did in Spain with UK ATPL passes). That isn't the case the other way round. The UK only accepts UK ATPL passes.

However, if you did your license in Spain you will be issued a Spanish CPL (not the case with IR which can be added to a UK license just so long as you have done your CPL in the UK). The CAA hate then converting these to UK CPLs.

In conclusion... do the ATPLs wherever you want to do your CPL test (and hence license issue) unless another country you want to fly in accepts ATPL passes from elsewhere. You can add ratings to that license anywhere in JAA members states.

I would argue that there is a case to have a UK-issued CPL if you want to fly here. I did my ATPLs in the UK, ME/IR in Spain, CPL after that in the UK(only 15 hours training) and now have a UK fATPL.

Hope that answers some of the questions (badly)!

hughesyd
21st Oct 2005, 12:59
Thanks for your reply and feedback, that helps me out a lot. I was looking at the option of having my licence converted once i had completed my ATPLs and cpl in spain. Should be no problem. Thanks for your help

metar
24th Oct 2005, 13:05
I had heard that the CAA do not like converting other JAA state CPLs. I haven't heard this directly from them though.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had experience of this.

jerezflyer
24th Oct 2005, 19:18
This is a dilema I have had for months. I am completing my PPL in Spain and would very much like to do an ATPL distance learning course at BGS, however the DGAC (Spanish civil aviation authority) have told me over the phone that UK ATPL exam passes are not valid in Spain and I wold have to do the CPL in UK. They said all training must be done in a single JAA state. One wonders what the JARs are for........

hughesyd
27th Oct 2005, 10:51
you do have to do your cpl in the state that you did your ATPLs, , but you can do your ratings in any JAA state, regardless of where you did your cpl.

In theory you can do your atpls and cpl in different jaa states, but in reality, not many caa authoritys let you do this.

Hey ho, flight training, the most disjointed , unpredictablre proccess i have ever gone through!!