PDA

View Full Version : Right time for training

RoyBoy20
19th Oct 2005, 13:24
hi

I have been consiedering pilot training for a few years now, and I have been offered a place on the oxford APP scheme. The only thing is that i fear it is not the right time for the training!!

I know that the industry is at its best after 9-11 but if i start training, will the jobs still be far and few between when are i graduate?

All comments will be appreciated

Roy

Fair_Weather_Flyer
19th Oct 2005, 16:01
Well then, I guess you'd better keep your fingers crossed that a group of evil terrorist anarchists smash a couple more jets into skyscrapers! This should give your aspirations a bit of a boost.

I don't think there is ever an ideal time for training. You could train when times are bad and no jobs are available. People will take great pleasure in telling you what a waste of time and money it is and how there will never be any jobs in aviation ever again. Or you could train when times are good. Then you are forever wondering if the economy will hold together in the face of rising oil prices.

Yep, it's a crap choice I'm afraid, but it's the one you have to make. Having said that I do feel there was some method in deciding when to start my own training. I was going to train prior to 9/11. However, even before that terrible day the economy was looking shaky. After 9/11 I got my PPL and pounded out the ATPL exams and waited until the market showed good signs of recovery. This turned out to be late 2003/early 2004 and then I jumped in boots 'n all.