PDA

View Full Version : New Harmonised School Allowances

Front Seater
19th Oct 2005, 05:59
Apologies if this has already been covered before (and yes Beags/ABIW I have conducted a search :D ) but on reading this months Soldier Magazine (someone has to) Page 12 has the article entitled:

Attention in class - and talks of a new 'harmonised school allowances revamped in time for autumn term'. Although I have but babes at the moment a significant factor in me continuing employment with Her Majesty is that the family will benefit from a good undisturbed education.

Does anyone have any more information on what will (I believe) be termed CEA (Board) and what are the changes to the current scheme/allowance?

I am surprised that this has not been discussed before on Prune as previously this subject appears to be the only topic that unites us (apart from the old Bufoon ones).

Thanks for your help - and before you say go to your Admin office - what do you think (a) totally swept up on new changes with literature all ready to explain or answer (b) 'what changes....really.....'I better look into that as I have 3 kids in the system'.

Rev I. Tin
19th Oct 2005, 07:13
Front Seater,

I am in receipt of CEA(Board), previously BSA, for my two kids who currently attend Prep school. The only difference I have noticed in the allowance is the change of the name. That's it. God bless the RAF who continue to give me more than I have put in. £20 grand a year to put my boys through Private education which I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

The allowance doesn't cover everything; parents having to pay at least 10% of the school fees / the difference between the upper limit of the allowance and the termly school fees. No harm in asking Head Teacher for an H.M. Forces Bursary to further reduce your contribution.

Be aware that when you place your children into the boarding school allowance system for continuity of education, it is for the whole of their school life (7-18 years old). It is very hard to withdraw them without a very good reason.

As with any allowance it isn't enough but, ho hum, my choice to send my kids to boarding school, and I'm very grateful for the dosh.

Always keep the Boarding School Allowances Clerk on your side!

God bless.

ILLUC IVI ILLUD FECI
19th Oct 2005, 08:14
I fear that the last post might give the wrong impression about CEA and so offer a slightly different slant on the topic.

CEA offers a Continuity of Education. Anyone who has tried to get children into a decent state school knows that the process can be difficult. A serviceman can be liable to a house move every 2-3 years. There are certain jobs that can lead to more than one tour in the same location but regular moves are a part of the service life. Indeed, PMA are required to certify a liability to move during the CEA application process.

My son had 5 moves of school by the time he was 8 and so this, combined with the poor education he was receiving at the last state school he attended, provided the catalyst to consider the CEA option.

We do not particularly like our children being at boarding school and the CEA does not cover all of the costs. We still have to pay around £1500 per term of our own money on school fees and then you still have to factor in extensive uniform requirements, sports equipment, boarding needs, etc. The costs of sports tours, field trips, etc, add to this and can make your eyes water on their own!

CEA does allow for a good education but at the cost of children being away from home which can obviously add pressures to parents and a not insubstantial financial burden. It is not the free money that the last poster implied and serves primarily to offer service children the chance of a learning environment that is not subject to continual changes of location, teachers and friends and does not involve the most undersubscribed school in the area (normally for the worst reasons) because your name was not on a list 3 years before.

Rev I. Tin
19th Oct 2005, 16:04
Illuc,

Apologies if my post gave the wrong impression (not sure what bit though).
You filled in some blanks?

Like you I didn't have kids to farm them out to a boarding school, but felt that the choice of schools available in the posting catchment area were not acceptable.

Obviously each case is different, but in my case the allowance is 'free money' to send my kids to a school of my (+kids) choosing. The additional costs incurred are a burden, and some thought must go into possible financial difficulties before considering the CEA route.

God bless.

Edited 'cos I'm a biff.