PDA

View Full Version : Turkish A343 at MAN?

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
18th Oct 2005, 17:17
Just wondering if anyone knows why a Turkish A343 was in MAN today flying from and to IST???

Didn't see the a/c myself, but Eurocontrol is showing it was in and out today either side of lunch.

No football or political things going on in the area to warrant that size of a/c from what I can see.

Any clues?

Fried_Chicken
18th Oct 2005, 18:34
It was operating the Scheduled IST-MAN-IST THY1995 flight, usually a B737-800

Fried Chicken

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
18th Oct 2005, 18:40
Strange. 737s and other smaller a/c's tech?

Surely it'd be cheaper to cancel the flight for a day than only put 150 odd pax on an A343 both ways and minimal cargo???

Unless there was a guaranteed high pax load at least one way, such as a package holiday???

EGNH01
19th Oct 2005, 01:17
It doesnt cost as much as u may think. What you have got to think about are the new european laws for passenger rights with regards to welfare and compensation etc etc the you still have to get them to their destination at some point. so taking that into consideration it probably saved them money in the long term and also saved 150+ pax alot of bother.

agent x
19th Oct 2005, 18:37
Cheaper to cancel? Have you any idea of the cost involved to invol reroute 150 passengers AND over night them if need be!? Aside from the fact that they would all get a refund of the first sector unless it could have been put down to 'exceptional circumstances' which i doubt cos "we thought the a/c type was too big for you all" wouldnt really be covered there :mad:
They could have had them all rattling around in a 747 and it would still be cheaper than a cancellation!

Package holiday? TK isn't a charter you know :hmm:

Agent x:ok:

Fried_Chicken
19th Oct 2005, 19:12
the switch from a B738 to A340 was apparently due to a large amount of inbound freight

FC

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
19th Oct 2005, 19:26
Wow.

They must have paid a premium for that.

Maybe it was on that instead of an MNG A300 or something.

You live and learn.

CentreFix25
19th Oct 2005, 19:40
Some airlines also send long haul aircraft on short haul routes for crew training, i remember an Iberia A340 at LHR.

Fried_Chicken
19th Oct 2005, 20:32
Iberia A340s have visited Heathrow quite a few times in the last couple of weeks, apparently due to lack of shorthaul aircraft/crews?

FC