PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Kiwi Pair survive Blazing Crash Landing on Highway

DeBurcs
18th Oct 2005, 08:33
(The site where) A light aircraft ... burst into flames after crash landing on a busy New Zealand highway this afternoon resembled a "mini war-zone" - but both people on board managed to survive.

The pair were flying near Lake Taupo, about 380 kilometres from Wellington, when the engine ... (failed) ..., rescue helicopter pilot Dan Harcourt said.

"The pilot indicated they had mechanical failure. He spoke about the alternator - the electrical generating component of the engine," he said.

The ... pilot tried to bring his crippled aircraft down onto State Highway 1 but it clipped power lines, veered onto the side of the road and "disintegrated", Senior Sergeant Tony Jeurissen told National Radio.

Another witness, Alex Scott, told the radio station "things started sizzling and exploding" after the ...(aircraft)...crash landed.

Mr Harcourt said: "As we flew in to land it was just a scene of burnt debris laying everywhere. And the fire service were there at the time and they'd covered the area with foam which gave the impression of a little mini war-zone."

He said local residents dragged the pilot, 67, and his passenger from the burning fuselage into the lake.

"Someone took them to the cold water to treat them for their burns," he said.

He said neither man appeared to have any other injuries.

"They obviously crash landed their ...(aircraft)... fairly well but unfortunately it caught fire," he said.

Both were airlifted to Waikato Hospital where they are in a serious condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my boredom, I reworded the article to address bad grammar, incorrect terminology and prodigious mis-use of the word "plane".

I should get a cut of the journo's salary.

scrambler
18th Oct 2005, 11:36
Quote "I should get a cut of the journo's salary."

How much of a cut? Half a bag of peanuts?

multime
18th Oct 2005, 23:32
"they must have crash landed fairly well"?

classic stuff
M:ok:

reynoldsno1
19th Oct 2005, 02:50
'twas a home-built - in case anyone wants to know the type....

skol
19th Oct 2005, 04:25
According to the Herald Mrs Creasy said " His flying ability was absolute perfection. He is a top gun pilot and the only reason they got out was because of his skill. He was a check and training man. You couldn't get better".
I'm not sure why people make comments like this. Most of the time they come from non-aviators and when the final report emerges they often end up with egg on their faces. I hasten to add that I am not commenting on this particular accident here.
The fact that he was checking and training means little. In my career (which is very long) often they are there by default because no one else applies for the job.
Some time ago while lamenting the competence of the checking and training staff a friend of mine told me not to complain about the incompetence of the instructors. He said that because they were so incompetent they make the rest of us look good.

belowMDA
19th Oct 2005, 05:59
Hmm she was pretty modest about his ability wasn't she? Mind you better to have a wife who thinks the sun shines out your arse rather than the opposite:}

Skol, yeah always easy to criticise, if you are that dismayed at their abilities you could always throw your hat in the ring.

skol
19th Oct 2005, 06:36
MDA,
Well actually I did about 1988. But I withdrew my application after I received a letter at home sent anonymously from my employers HR dept. about how they were going to shaft the pilots (internal memo), and that the only applicants that would be acceptable would be those that signed the 'correct' contract.

4Greens
19th Oct 2005, 06:36
He is a very good operator, Royal Navy and then Cathay.

petitfromage
19th Oct 2005, 07:24
Simon had an extensive career in the Royal Navy and then 32yrs with Cathay Pacific as a Senior Training Captain.

Whether his skill had any effect on yesterdays events is unquantifiable at this stage but its disheartening to see some posters quite happy to bad mouth an individual theyve never met armed with next to no information on the subject itself.

Even more disappointing that you are so quick to slander a fellow pilot.
Well done....you must be very proud!

Get well soon Simon. All the best from those of us at CX.

skol
19th Oct 2005, 07:31
petit,
If it is my post you are referring to put your glasses on and see the bit about "I'm not commenting on this particular accident". Jeez, there's always at least one! I'm talking about the comments unqualified people make following an incident like this.
Show me where I have slandered this individual. Too much camembert and bordeaux old chap.

Speeds high
19th Oct 2005, 21:00
I quite liked the bit in the NZ Hearald about how great a job he did to get the aircraft to the ground. I was always under the impression that part of flying was absolute.

HotDog
19th Oct 2005, 21:27
The latest on Simon.

Crashland pilot's condition improves
20 October 2005

A pilot badly burnt when his home made aircraft crashed near Taupo on Tuesday has improved slightly and his condition is now reported to be serious but stable.

Simon Creasy, 67, and his cousin Alex Milner-Smith, 22, were both badly burnt when their home-made Lancair aircraft crashed onto State Highway 1 near Turangi and burst into flames.

Both men were flown to Waikato Hospital with bad burns and Mr Creasy, a former Cathay Pacific pilot, was later transferred to Middlemore Hospital in Auckland.

The hospital reported today he was in the intensive care unit where his condition was reported to be serious but stable.

Mr Milner-Smith remains in the intensive care unit at Waikato Hospital.

The aircraft had mechanical failure shortly after it took off from Taupo.

Mr Creasy tried to make an emergency landing but clipped power lines and broke up on SH1.

Passing motorists poured water from nearby Lake Taupo on to the men's burns until the arrival of medical staff.

I flew with Simon for many years on the CV880, B707,L1011 and B747. He is an excellent operator and a gentleman. Get well soon Simon.