PDA

View Full Version : Examiner rating

Teabing
17th Oct 2005, 19:17
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for all the examiners out there.
When did you take the step and become an Examiner? What level of experience?

I understand the requirement of the CAA is 200hrs of Instructor time, in my eyes this appears to be very low although I am not saying that someone may not be a good examiner with that experience. I currently have over 1000hrs Instructor time and I am thinking that now I would like to take the next step.

Just curious to see other opinions on this?

Cheers
Teabing

Whopity
18th Oct 2005, 18:04
There is no such thing as an Examiners Rating! Experienced Instructors may be Authorised as Examiners.

The CAA appoint examiners to fill a demand; unless you are in an area where there is a shortage, you can't just opt to become an examiner.

A few years ago you needed 1500 hours instructing, and the recomendation of a school or club. Post JAR, the minimum has been reduced but you now have to do a course and pass a test thereby increasing the cost.

BEagle
18th Oct 2005, 18:06
I've even heard of people still with 'No Applied Instrument' instructional restrictions applying to be Flight Examiners....:rolleyes:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Oct 2005, 20:14
Teabing,

Surely you don't want to give up the time of hands on in Echo Alpha, for observation in Echo Alpha? ;)

BigEndBob
24th Oct 2005, 18:46
I had 5000 hours instructing when i became an examiner.
Thought with that experience i had a good idea what to look for re: examining.

I think those sort of hours should be a minimum.

BEagle
24th Oct 2005, 19:00
I had around 7000 hours when I became an Examiner - I agree with you, BigEndBob. The last thing the industry needs is low time Examiners.

Say again s l o w l y
24th Oct 2005, 19:35
7,000 or even 5,000 hrs may be a little extreme, but we do need more experienced people throughout the training industry, not just the Examining side. Though this would be a priority for me certainly.

I think the old 1500 Hrs instructing was about right as a minimum, but hours is no guarantee of quality unfortunately.

I can't believe someone who's still got the applied instruments restriction would be accepted as an examiner.

BEagle
24th Oct 2005, 19:49
1500 hrs instructing on that type or class, I would agree with.

Say again s l o w l y
24th Oct 2005, 20:15
For SEP probably 1000 and for MEP 1500 on class absolutely, for airline ops, 1500 on tye would be a sensible minimum.

Whilst you never stop learning, 1000Hrs teaching in SEP's and you should be pretty au fait with what's acceptable and what's not. If you aren't, then you aren't going to be much good anyway.

BigEndBob
25th Oct 2005, 06:46
Problem is people see the examiner ticket as a way of making some decent cash out of flying. When i was examining i only charged £30 for a test...what is is now £150?

1000hrs sep is nothing, i did 400 hours just doing trial lessons in my first year. I think 1000hours you don't see enough students to get a broad spread of ability and see what can go wrong through the seasons.

Say again s l o w l y
25th Oct 2005, 09:09
The problem at the moment is anyone with over 1000hrs SEP is generally offski-ing to the airlines, so there are some pretty big holes appearing.

After 1000hrs teaching on SEP I think most should be fine, your case BEB may be different, but the vast majority of my first 1000hrs teaching was with students, not TL's, so my outlook maybe from a different angle.

After 1000 hrs I certainly felt I was ready and I don't feel much has changed since then. I already had my bar set for what I considered to be the acceptable and what wasn't. No different to today.

Prices for tests seem to be between £100 and £150 generally, quite alot of cash, but it is a fair price in my opinion, especially if you do it correctly and it takes nearly a full day.
I wouldn't do it for £30 anymore.

Again Hours are not really the answer, but a guide, there are some atrocious examiners out there with '000's of hours and some very good ones with far less. As ever it comes down to the individual.

BEagle
25th Oct 2005, 09:18
IIRC, to become a 'BX' examiner in the pre-JAR-FCL days, one either needed 1500 hours instructing or 1000 hrs plus assessment?

If you become an examiner, do remember that you will not be able to examine people you've instructed (apart from progress checks or safety checks)......

I understand that the CAA is now taking a closer look at the required number of examiners in any regional area - so there may have to be proven need rather than personal aspiration in order for someone to become an authorised examiner?

Mr R Sole
25th Oct 2005, 23:50
I've even heard of people still with 'No Applied Instrument' instructional restrictions applying to be Flight Examiners.

What's wrong with that?

mad_jock
26th Oct 2005, 18:57
I know of one PPL examiner with 800 instructing and "no applied instrument" restriction who is also authorised to conduct IMC examinations so work that one out.

MJ

CaptAirProx
27th Oct 2005, 21:04
I thought that to examine the examiner had hold a current instructor (FI) rating to do the job. So how can a guy examine IMC if he ain't able to teach it???

RE doing it to make money, well I always reckon on writing off the first years revenue to cover cost of renewal of examiner ticket, renewed every 3yrs. But thats because I don't spend 5 out of 7 days at the airfield waiting for custom. My mortgage is paid by other means!

But as someone said here, remember if you are working full time at an airfield, it doesn't necessarly mean you pick up all the work as you can't examine your own students during initial SEP or MEP ratings.

GusHoneybun
28th Oct 2005, 14:58
Quirk of the rules! Would be wrong if they exercised that priviledge though.