PDA

View Full Version : CPL(A) or CPL(H)

cadaha
17th Oct 2005, 18:38
Which is the best to go for. To get to CPL(H) is around double the price to get to but what are the prospects for, let's just say, an older guy to get into the aviation industry.

Don't wanna go airline route so instructor or charter pilot would be ideal.

Whirlygig
18th Oct 2005, 08:20
Ask the same question on rotorheads and you'll get the hard, gritty truth.

Unless you really, really want to fly helicopters and have such a desire that your whole ambition revolves around it, then you might scratch a part-time living. The rotary job world is very sparse at the moment.

If you need to ask the question, then I would suggest that your rotary desires are not enough to get through so go fixed wing; I believe the opportunities, whilst not common, are slightly more easy to get.

Cheers

Whirls

wobble2plank
19th Oct 2005, 17:01
As a wobblehead I went the other way.

It really is a sad, strange world where the aircraft that costs considerably more to learn on and requires far more poling skills that a fixed wing commands the lowest salary and conditions in comparison to our tube brothers.

Chucked my ATPL(H) and got an (A), sad but true...

Will now fly jellywopters in my spare time when I need a burst of 'real' flying.

cadaha
19th Oct 2005, 17:28
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I was seriously considering rotary but as the costs are so astronomical it would be financially stupid of me to try and squeeze every penny out of my bank with loans etc that I wouldn't be able to live at all. I will probably go for fixed wing and in a few years get my PPL(H) and fly helos for fun.

I'm not looking at Fixed wing as a second prize as my ambition is to fly for a living. I spent many hours in Helos whilst in the Navy and that is where I got the helo bug. But apart from the excitement of sitting behind a nutter before being kicked out of the helo into the cold north atlantic I just loved being in the air.

I have found that I can get most of the way to CPL(A) with the money I have (inc night rating, multi engine, ground school etc) and can barely get half way though hours building after PPL(H) if I go down the rotary route.

Shame but true!!

wobble2plank
20th Oct 2005, 07:50
Good Luck,

Personally, with over 4000 helo hours I loved flying them but they are just not a huge transport industry like the tubes and therefore command a lower lifestyle and wage.

Looking at the difference between the two I would always go for the helo for a sense of satisfaction of a piloting job well done, especially in difficult situations (SAR pilots will understand well!), an aircraft that needs to be physically flown and the thrill of flying, landing and operating from unprepared and unusual locations.

However the flip side is a reduced training cost (approx 1/3 to 1/2), the more regulated flying hours regeime, positive rostering and the ability to live, just about, where you want dependant on which airline you fly for.

If you then have a helo licence and rating, especially a CPL(H) or above, you will find that there are companies that are crying out for casual pilots on an ad hoc basis. Check that your company allows external flying though as this will impact on your max flying per year, with many companies pushing v. close to the 900 barrier. Also many, mine included, frown upon personal flying for renumeration, so beware.

Good luck
:ok: