PDA

View Full Version : Importing a car to HKG

junior_man
17th Oct 2005, 16:53
I don't even know if it is worth it with the great Public Transit in HKG, but does anybody know what is involved with importing a car?
Car would be 20 years old so I wonder what the taxes would be. The car is also LHD. Will they allow that or require conversion to RHD?

Thanks.

Fly747
18th Oct 2005, 12:09
You can find details on the transport department's web site. A simple google will do it.

idg
18th Oct 2005, 23:31
Not sure that a large American car would be appropriate for the cut and thrust of HKG....and the fuel bill will certainly bend the ol plastic! If you're thinking of a Japanese vehicle (which would be more realistic) bear in mind that the specs could well be different and thus getting spares difficult.

junior_man
19th Oct 2005, 17:55
Been to the transport site. Missing some details about what the taxes were to register the car, what the emissions laws were and if the car had to be converted to RHD. Was hoping to find someone who had been through the process and might be familliar with the details.

Anybody seen any LHD cars over there?

BTW, Not to disappoint you, but not all of us in The US drive big forty foot long Cadillacs with Horns on the hood. This is a small sedan, same as a Sunbeam Horizon in the UK, but this one is a Shelby with a 300 HP turbo engine. I used to drive Austin Minis (real ones, not the new ones) and am considering a used Elise as the alternative if importing is a big hassle.

heimata
20th Oct 2005, 14:17
hi there,

lhd is a no go! i tried....

regards

7FF
21st Oct 2005, 04:31
As a confirmed petrol head myself my advice is do not even try, unless you have something really special.
There are some interesting performance cars cheaply available in HK, especially those with manual gearboxes as the locals cannot cope with driving and changing gears.
:ok:

junior_man
21st Oct 2005, 23:20
Thanks guys.
The RHD thing is kind of a no go as I can do it but would lose the air conditioning.

Will look for a Lotus Elise later on.

Flying Bagel
23rd Oct 2005, 06:25
I can also concur that left hookers are basically a no-no in HKG. And they've been tightening up the emissions laws lately. If your car does not pass a standard emissions test, most likely it will not make it.

My car just failed it, incidentally, and had to reinstall a new catalytic converter...

mini
1st Nov 2005, 23:20
I'm doing some research on a related issue at the moment, AFAIK Lotus do not have a rep in HK, they're certainly not among the top 36 sellers, this may be a problem if you want an Elise. Emmisions are broadly similar to EU at the moment.

Taxes on a new vehicle are: (HK$)

1st 150,000 - 35%
Next 150,000 - 65%
Next 200,000 - 85%
All above this - 100%

Cheers

tinpis
1st Nov 2005, 23:54
Um.....why would anyone want a car in Hong Kong?:bored:

Flying Bagel
2nd Nov 2005, 04:03
Because not everyone lives in DB. :eek: