PDA

View Full Version : Instructor's Rating: Now, Later, Ever?

weasello
17th Oct 2005, 14:48
I'm sitting at a nice cozy 120 hours right now and am in the midst of mapping out my career and training goals. I have very limited funds (ahhh flying, how kind you are to my wallet) and am trying to become employable as a pilot as quickly as possible.

My eventual goal is to be an airline pilot.

So my question to you nice folk - Is it worth all the extra dollars to become a flight instructor? I don't mind working crap/far away jobs instead of instructing. I'm just wondering how much of a requirement it is for airline or other hirers.

I've come to the conclusion that a multi-engine / IFR rating is probably necessary for my first job however.

conor_mc
17th Oct 2005, 16:17
To be honest, I think that decision should wait until you've finished your CPL.

Plan to have the funding for the more expensive of the two (Multi-IR) in place, but be prepared to instruct and, more importantly, to survive on an instructors wage for a number of months.

When the time comes, you'll need to assess the job market. If you see thar airlines are taking more and more modular (I'm assuming you're modular) 250-hour guys, go hell for leather into the multi-IR before the mood changes. If the market is pretty much as it is now, where you have a decent chance with 800 hours or so, get your instructor rating and start building your hours before committing to the next major expense.

That's my take on it anyhow.

weasello
17th Oct 2005, 17:06
To be honest, I have no idea what "modular" means. Maybe it's country specific? I'm based in Canada.

I ask the question primarily because, I get my CPL after 200 hours, and 35 of my remaining hours are "on-my-own" time. During these 35 hours, I could have fun and whip around on my own (not very cost-effective), I could go for a Multi-IFR, or I could go for Instructor's.

Instructor's rating is quite expensive, and if I can avoid it I'd like to. If you think I'll need to work as an instructor at some point, might as well get it over with now!

GusHoneybun
18th Oct 2005, 19:30
I don't mind working crap/far away jobs instead of instructing.

I'll need to work as an instructor at some point, might as well get it over with now!

Nice attitude. I can just see all your students paying all their hard earned dollars so they have the priviledge of sitting in an aircraft with you.

Instructing in not for everybody and for the sake of the PPL industry in Canada, I would recommend that you don't do an Instructor Rating.

Some people :{

18greens
18th Oct 2005, 19:55
I think we need to cut the guy some slack. He's young and naive..

Instructing is fun, putting something back etc.. plus you will never understand how and aeroplane flies until you have to explain it to someone else.

weasello
19th Oct 2005, 06:11
:ooh:

no no no! Don't get me wrong - I LOVE instructing. I do a lot of teaching at my workplace and I've aspired to be a teacher many times over.

I daresay, from my obviously unbiased point of view, that I am a superb teacher.

However, it will nearly double my costs from here on in if I get an instructor's rating, and I'll be in pretty desperate shape if I do go that route. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible, for strictly financial reasons.

If, in your (*waves hand to the masses of the forum*) all-knowing opinion, think that I will be MUCH better off in my career for going the instructor route, I may slog through it and tough it out as per your advice.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
19th Oct 2005, 16:25
You might ask yourself what the realistic alternative to instructing is. After you have answered this question you may well find that you had better concentrate on being the best instructor that you can be. It will be less painful that way.