PDA

View Full Version : Living in Sia Kung?

happydayz
15th Oct 2005, 13:41
I was just selected for a SO position. I have two children and I was told that Sia Kung is not as prone to smog as other parts of HK. Can anyone tell me how tough and how long it would take to commute from there? Type of schools? Smog? Hiking trails etc......
Upside as well as downside of Sia Kung.

Any information would be very appreciated. We are looking forward to coming over.

The million dollar question. DB or Kia Sung or elsewhere?

Happy

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2005, 22:44
First thing is to learn to spell it properly otherwise you'll never find the place. It's Sai Kung. ;)

We lived in HK for a few years; we moved back to UK in 1998 so my info would be somewhat out of date.

If I ever went back, that's where I'd go to live if given a choice. My eldest son went to school at Clearwater Bay and commuted from Kowloon by himself at the age of ten, if that's any help. MTR to Kowloon Bay and then a bus over the hill to the school. No problem.

Bit far from the new airport though!

idg
16th Oct 2005, 12:39
HDZ,

The travelling time from Sai Kung depends on which side of the town you live.

If you live south of the town (ie closer to the old Kai Tak) then you would be best to go via Hirams Highway and the Lung Chung Road to the expressway. This way usually takes in the order of 40 mins with low traffic and up to 50 mins in moderate traffic.

If you live to the north of the town, (ie nearer the Tai Mong Sai roundabout) then it makes sense to use the Ma On Shan/Shatin route to the Tolo highway which links up with the airport expressway thru Tsing Yi. This takes about 35 mins from the roundabout in light traffic and 45 mins max (assuming no accidents!) in heavy traffic.

The second route will also shortly be getting quicker as under construction is a new bridge/expressway linking the Tolo Highway (from Shatin) directly to the airport expressway. I suspect that this will knock approx 5 mins off both times. It may have connections to the Western Expressway too which might also reduce times on the 'southerly' route but I am not sure about this.

I think it would also be fair to point out that living in SK will not be a cheap option with possibly two cars needed (for you and the family) with road tax, insurance and servicing costs being pretty high here.

Clearwater Bay School (as mentioned above) is a primary school and is part of the English Schools Foundation and has a fair reputation. The choice for secondary schools is between KGV and Shatin College. Both have excellent reputations and offer a multicultural environment with very good teaching standards. There are other international school options (a web search will reveal them) but travelling times for the kids from SK are likely to be long for them. There are plenty of pre-schools in the area but the costs are high. Abacus Kindergarten is part of the ESF and is loctaed very close to Clearwater Bay School and 'feeds' it with primary beginners. Once again look into the costs!

As to pollution, yes SK enjoys better air than most other parts of HKG, but it is all relative! Pollution all over the territory is bad! SK offers good facilities for the young family but I'm sure the DBers would also claim that. As in all things it's horses for courses! Why not take the time to come and look for yourselves...certainly the best solution IMHO. A mistake in location is expensive to fix if you're not happy with the compromises (that are inevitably) needed here.

idg.

happydayz
16th Oct 2005, 13:37
Sai Kung! Holy smokes. I am in trouble. Pronunciation is hard enough, now spelling!!!!

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your time and effort. My class date is probably in the middle of next year. I will take time and come over to check things out before then. Plus, my family is staying here until I am done with my training. Gives me more time to set up a home for them.

It appears we would need a couple of cars if we live there. I do not think we can afford that.

Well, I better go. I truly appreciate your help in this matter. I will come and check it out, but I do not think it will suit our financial abilities.

Happy

idg
17th Oct 2005, 01:02
HDZ,
I am not sure what your rosters will be like, but I ssume that initially at least, you'll be 'longer' haul. In this case a public transport commute to CLK might be possible, and not too onerous. I would figure on 1.30 for the journey, tho this might be quicker in some circumstances. I believe there is an 'aircrew' bus from SK at fixed times which might suit. Others will be able to advise on the rosters. This might bring your car requirements down pending your upgrade.

happydayz
18th Oct 2005, 14:12
Thanks IDG,

That does not seem too awfully bad. I will look around a bit when I am over there. I just heard through the grapvine that SK has the least amount of smog. Kinda nice for the fam. I am used to commuting to work so, taking mass transit to work is much easier.

Well, I will check things out when I come over. Maybe I will not like SK, who knows!!!!

Since we are talking about living in HK. How much should I budget for utilities, food, transportation etc....? (per month)

Thanks again guys,

Happy

SkyCruiser
19th Oct 2005, 12:05
Hi mate,

I have lived in Sai Kung for over two tears now and I can say that as long as I live in Honkers I will always live in Sai Kung.

It has cleaner air, it has great bars and restaurants and the town is great for everyday shopping etc.
The house prices are much cheaper than the likes of DB or Midlevels etc.

If you move here I recommend you get a car. The prices of second hand cars are very cheap and the cost of running it will depend on where you come from, as I come from the UK the cost is the same.

Pm me for any more info.

Cheers

WrongWayCorrigan
21st Oct 2005, 10:33
Mini bus to Choi Hung: 20 mins. Choi Hung - Airport Express 20 mins. Airport Express - airport - 20 mins.

Guava Tree
21st Oct 2005, 13:56
You can get info on smog/pollution levels here
http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/eindex.php
Tap Mun station might be a good approximation to Sai Kung.
Most of the pollution comes from the mainland these days, so, as you might see, pollution levels at all reporting stations are often rather similar no matter the distance from the centre of Hong Kong.
The Sai Kung area hiking trails are world class but try to pick an unpolluted day for the hiking otherwise you might be doing family lungs more harm than good.
Not supporting Taipei , but it must be said that the air in Taipei is gradually getting cleaner, while in Hong kong the opposite is the case.
GT