PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a pilot info for youngsters - 3 threads merged

ZaneSaxton767
13th Oct 2005, 18:08
Hello forum members,

This is my first post here, so here goes...

I'm 16, and 17 on the 5th Janurary. I'm wishing to eventually become a airline pilot for easyjet or some other small airline that doesnt have high requirments.

I left school early due to an illness which is now gone and back to my normal self. But because of this illness I wasn't able to get my GCSE grades. But however, I am now going to attend collage to get my GCSE grades and A-levels. All this will unfortunatly take some time (expected 2 years or more).

In the mean time I'm planning on trying to get my 'Private Pilot' License and hopefully this will help the training process to becoming a commercial airline pilot.

I have been flying on Microsoft Flight Sim for a while now and I have got 450 flying hours in a 767-300/400. I have also pasted the Training School within the program and have the Private, Commercial, instrument rating and ATPL Licenses.

Once I have completed the collage course, and hopefully with good grades preferably C's or above. I will apply for a job with an airline, on the training scheme.

Just wanted to know how much would I have to pay for the training scheme and how many more tests would I need to do, to actaully be flying in the cockpit for real?

And what are normally the required grades to become a pilot?

Theres lots I need to do over the next couple of years and just hope I get there in the end...

Thanks, :cool:

SamKitch
14th Oct 2005, 07:02
Hi

"I left school early due to an illness which is now gone and back to my normal self. But because of this illness I wasn't able to get my GCSE grades. But however, I am now going to attend collage to get my GCSE grades and A-levels. All this will unfortunatly take some time (expected 2 years or more)."

Its a very wise choice that you are going back to college,you do really need at Least 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above

( be very helpful if you had maths,physics,english)

"I have been flying on Microsoft Flight Sim for a while now and I have got 450 flying hours in a 767-300/400. I have also pasted the Training School within the program and have the Private, Commercial, instrument rating and ATPL Licenses."

Yeah its great that your getting experiance but it doesnt really measure up to the real thing its a game, so dont think its that easy.

"In the mean time I'm planning on trying to get my 'Private Pilot' License and hopefully this will help the training process to becoming a commercial airline pilot."

Thats great, i spoke to a BA pilot a few weeks back and he said that airlines dont really care if you have your PPL, but it is benificial to see if you like the feeling of it. Also a PPL will take a big chunk of money out of you and you really need to put that towards you ATPL. But its your choice in the end.

"I'm 16, and 17 on the 5th Janurary. I'm wishing to eventually become a airline pilot for easyjet or some other small airline that doesnt have high requirments."

There are no airlines out there that dont want the best pilots, so you need to aim for the best, be the best at what you do.

"Just wanted to know how much would I have to pay for the training scheme and how many more tests would I need to do, to actaully be flying in the cockpit for real?"

Totally depends, where you train, For good quality and good teaching and good contact with airlines i recommend Oxford. This will set you back about £60,000 but remember some airlines require you to pay for your type rating which comes to about £20,000. So all of this is not cheap but well worth it.

Hope This Helps, Sorry about the rubbish typing in a bit of a hurry!!!!

Regards

Sam

Stpaul
14th Oct 2005, 13:45
If you left school with an illness, make sure that that illness is not going to restrict you from getting a class 1 medical with the CAA at Gatwick, otherwise everything else will be a waste ot time and money.
Flight training for me was all about concentrating on one step at a time (as there are many levels), so concentrate on your school exams first!
There are plenty of books available on the subject if you go to a pilot shop eg.transair

craigbrodie
15th Oct 2005, 17:48
i'm 16 and wondering what is the best way to become an airline pilot.
i would really appreciate the advice

scroggs
15th Oct 2005, 18:47
Welcome to Wannabes. Have a look at these threads, both stickies at the top if this forum:

Background info (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076)

Archive Reference Threads (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649)

Scroggs

VFE
15th Oct 2005, 18:57
Hi jstflyin,

Having started my PPL back in 2000 and ending up with a CPL/IR fATPL MCC last year I really wouldn't know where to start in giving advice on the best route to take these days. The industry changes so fast that what may be the best route when you start might easily become the worst route by the time you finish. The only thing that has remained constant is the fact integrated schools appear to offer you the best chance of gaining employment in the crucial few months after completing your training.

If I had to choose any route now I would apply for any sponsorships or part sponsorships that are going and failing that go somewhere like Oxford or FTE, not before writing to some of the airlines explaining your position and that you intend to embark on self funded training at an integrated organisation.

Good luck,

VFE.

Jimmy Breeze
16th Oct 2005, 00:33
I'd reccomend going up to a training establishment such as Oxford or Cabair to have a look around. They will try to sell it to you but just try to stay open minded and see what you think of the environment.

If you're considering a ppl like SamKitch mentioned, not a lot of airlines will actually put you above someone else for it, but it will definately help to have that prior experience in cpl training.
The downside is, as in the all things aviation, it costs money and lots of it. So think about it.

But to have a look around oxford aviation training is not going to hurt. Give them a call

Be aware though its a different industry to what many people imagine it to be.

:ok:

VFE
16th Oct 2005, 16:55
I always say that the flight training world is comparable to the second hand car trade. Whether true or not - if you enter with this in mind you will be better placed than someone who thinks everyone involved with aviation is a jolly nice old chap and perhaps save yourself a financial reaming.

VFE

chris2005
17th Oct 2005, 18:34
ZaneSaxton767 check your PM's

philip2004uk
19th Oct 2005, 08:58
Question:

If i gained my ATPL did flying instructer for a year would airlines hire me for having an E in Maths and English in GCSE's?

Send Clowns
19th Oct 2005, 10:06
Samkitch

Careful of misinforming our friend. You say that the PPL will "...take a big chunk of money out of you and you really need to put that towards you ATPL...". However the PPL can be the first part of an ATPL if he is willing to pay for training. Otherwise cost is not a large issue. You also suggest that Oxford has especially high qualities, whereas all schools are approved to the same standards, all schools have their critics as well as those that would not go anywhere else. The instructors move around schools, I have worked with ground or flight instructors who have taught at Oxford or gone on to teach there.

I would recommend that ZaneSaxon not go to Oxford simply because an anonymous contributor to PPRuNe has heard of it. I recommend he visit (the only reason I did not before choosing my course was they could not be bothered to answer any of my calls are to contact me after I left details, so I was not impressed with the admin) but that he also must visit other schools of different types, certainly including some smaller schools. This is a huge decision, especially if he does decide to pay the premium of an integrated course.

Since you seem not to acknowledge that the course can be done another way, I suggest you recommend people find out for themselves the difference between an integrated and a modular course. There is plenty available searching this forum, and the modular schools will talk anyone through their courses, those with integrated courses will tell you about those. However don't always trust their comparrisons with modular, even if they offer both. One only told me about integrated (before I knew the difference) even though I had nearly 180 hours, of which 10 would have counted! Needless to say I went modular.

Never trust sales people (including me, I work for a school), talk to the students without the staff present.