PDA

View Full Version : Oxfords new modular training

itischriso
14th Oct 2005, 13:28
So I realise that oxford has been done to death on pprune, however. What is the consensus on the new waypoint modular training that OAT are offering? As it would seem to be the perfect compromise between integrated and modular. The questions I have

1. Is it worth the money £29000, when compared to other modular progs?

2. If there are better progs out there what are they?

3. Is it simply a case of OATs great marketing, or is this course what airlines want in a modular course

mad_jock
14th Oct 2005, 16:38
Point 1

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/skills/mod-01.htm

Well as a rough guide to mod prices.

Ground school is going to be about £3k

CPL about 5k

IR 15k

MCC about 3K

Which comes to about 26k yes you can do it cheaper than quoted.

That skill revision thing if i read correctly gives you 2 hours in the sim in first 6 months and an IR renewal and another 2 hours in 12.

Which is maybe worth 300 quid and 1k pounds.

So yes you could do it cheaper if you wanted but it isn't that expensive in the grand scope of things.

But there is alo so the option of doing abroad for less.

Point 2

Lots of good modular schools out there Who only do modular. Don't have the reputation that OAT does when dealing with modular students.

Point 3

I don't think its designed for Airlines at all. Its designed because they have realised that there is money to be made from poeple wanting to do modular. The school obviously has spare capacity at the moment and the more punters they get through the better for there fixed costs.

I wouldn't mind betting that the market cut of the modular ground school has been slipping to Bristol for quite a few years. Due to the hard work put in by Alex.

The modular market is expanding and the intergrated is static if not reducing. They are just trying to claw back some lost revenue. And the modular load is fairly easy to adjust depending on the load that the intergrated courses have on. Which is fairly normal for most Modular FTO at the moment with 2-3 months waiting list for courses.

If OAT manage to sort out career development loans for this course they might very well have a bit of a hot seller. The only thing to watch for is OAT always had the reputation of sidelining modular students and bumping them for Intergrated when it comes to aircraft bookings. They won't have the numbers of Intergrated just now but they do have a large contract with the RAF for twin training.

Your still paying in the top end of the modular price range but its not really taking the piss like the APP program. I would check what the payment options are and find out a bit more about that skills protection thing. Its certainly worth a look.

MJ

Edit to add.

If any other the oxford people are reading a wee suggestion. I Notice that you say that the student has to have already built 150 hours before starting the program. Half the fun of the modular is breaking up the ground school with flying and also keeping back 10-20 hours so you can get current to hit the CPL course running instead of shaking off the cob webs after not flying for 6 months doing the exams. So to start the ground school PPL plus 80 hours TT. Start phase 2 110TT and Pilot profile 140hours TT. CPL course 150 hours TT

Crazypilot A
15th Oct 2005, 12:10
Being discussed on OATS forum:

Link (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2182)

crazy

itischriso
15th Oct 2005, 16:44
thanks guys for the info,

So now the only real query I have left remaining is
What does the Pilot profile entail?
Is it simply an aptitude test or does it have a few surprises?

forewared is forearmed

NDB
16th Oct 2005, 06:49
Will let you know!!

There's a group of 6 (me included) out in the sunny state of Arizona (rain forcast for tomorrow & Monday) who are the guinea pigs!!

Got one or two points for the end of course critique.... but only small coments, not complaints.

With regards to the cost thing! Its nice to know you've got the OAT label behind you when your trying to get a job! [is that worth anything!]

NDB

mad_jock
16th Oct 2005, 10:32
I suspect the pilot profile will be a credit check.

Or I hope a suggestion that before you start your CPL training you go off with a PPL instructor from Kidlington to remove some dirty habits before starting.

MJ