PDA

View Full Version : Best A/C for job prospects

VIS9999
13th Oct 2005, 09:31
G'day all.

Will be heading NW in the not too distant future, and was hoping to get some hours on a 206 or 210 before leaving, but can't find any for pvt hire in my neck of the woods.

SO, what would be the best alternative?? Bonanza? Lance??
Do comapnies look on time in any of these a/c as favourably as they do on 200 series time??

CHeers

Navajo King
13th Oct 2005, 10:33
My advice is keep looking for a 200 series cessna, it will be looked upon much more favourably in a lot of companies in the NW.

Where abouts do you live? Maybe someone else will know of an aircraft for hire in your area.

redsnail
13th Oct 2005, 19:39
Yeah, definitely try and get some 200 series time. Failing that, try a C182 just to get familiar with the lay out or try to find another a/c with the same sort of engine as the 200 series cessna. (ie a 300hp one). Get used to handling that engine without breaking it. :)

Mach.29
14th Oct 2005, 00:06
money better spent on doing ATPLs (if thats where you want to go) night VFR etc, before heading north because once you do get your first gig up there it's hard to get time off without missing opportunities to upgrade on twins etc.
I don't think employers place to much emphasis on 200 series time, although it wouldn't hurt to be familiar with how they tick ( read the manual)

Luck!!

Chadzat
14th Oct 2005, 00:58
Mach.29 that VERY much sounds like learning to run before you can crawl. Have you got any experience with these sorts of operators?

Obviously you have a point with the ATPL and time issues, but a VIS9999, and a lot of others (myself) included need solid advice, not opinions. I'm not having a go at you mate, but "I don't think" I am anyway.

chookcooker
16th Oct 2005, 03:18
Think you should listen to Mach.
What percentage of newbies heading up that way have had 200 time? Probably not many. How many are struggling 3 years down the track to do the ATPL's, heaps.

however if moneys not too much of a concern, it wont hurt
Good luck

DUXNUTZ
16th Oct 2005, 03:31
Might advise you to save the cash for the trip (adventure) up north to use while you actually wait for a gig than on a couple of hours in a 210/bonanza/lance.

Sure if you have the cash to burn go ahead but no sane chief pilot is going to throw you on the line without any line training anyways. Any really 5 hrs in any aircraft isn't that helluva lot anyhow.

The biggest cessna i had flown was a 177 before the 210 and really its not that huge a leap. A plane is a plane. Any plane can kill you.

PennyBenjamin
17th Oct 2005, 09:00
the previous respondants have all good advise to share. 210 time is good, the aircraft is a bit trickier than lighter cessna's, especially on the back of the drag curve. Bonanza's are almost never used commercially because they cant lift and are too plush to jam za bruvers in. Lances are dangerous machines to the unwary, if your bashing around in them a few tips;
Keep the speed up - too slow = dead
Don't trust the gear, its very dicky - treat carefully and ensure to check fluid level in the nose locker regularly. Watch those little bolts in the wheels that hold them on, they are known to shear off.
Anyway enjoy it, they are all good machines. good luck with career!

DUXNUTZ
17th Oct 2005, 09:33
Benjamin,

My questionably hygiened pax always seemed rather excited to see the bonza, compared to the third row of the 210. They really enjoyed holding their bags on their laps for 2 + Hrs too.....

Bonanza can be effectively used for charter, just have to be picky on the fuel and remember ye scales! Have flown freight in a bonanza and the doors make it a whole lot easier to load than a 210, well you don't have the same weird numb sensation in your lower back at the end of the day!

For record: Take the tip on the drag curve. Really do not want to get below 80-85 kts in any of these planes on final.

VIS9999
19th Oct 2005, 00:40
Thanks for all your constructive replies!

Cheers