PDA

View Full Version : USB Drive Problem

Essential Buzz
12th Oct 2005, 08:28
On a recent visit to China have purchased a (cheap) 4GB USB Drive.

As demonstrated by salesman, it shows 3.99 GB when "Properties" are selected ... however, I'm only able to load about 470MB, despite indications of lots more space.

Is there something I'm missing?! (Other than the fact I've probably been skilfully duped)

BLUE SKY THINKER
12th Oct 2005, 09:09
Essential Buzz.....

You say it showed 3.99Gbs when 'Properties' was demonstrated by the salesman; was that on his PC, or yours (presumably laptop, if travelling)? ...If the former, presumably you have tried this on yours since?

Plug in the USB and try Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management, for a more detailed examination of the drive; not only size but if status is "healthy".

If no luck, but it appears OK, you could try defragmenting it with the standard Windows Defragmenter. ...'Error checking' of the volume also available via My Computer > USB Drive > (right click) Properties > Tools (tab)

As a last resort it's not been unknown for a USB drive to carry a virus. ...Whilst a lot of people furiously scan there C Drive for such, not come across many who do likewise with their portable drive. ...So, nothing to lose scanning it.

Essential Buzz
12th Oct 2005, 09:39
BST

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, the drive shows as 3.99GB on my computer also. I have already virus checked and error checked it, but without joy.

Under the Disk Management diagnostic, it shows as healthy, but interestingly enough is identified as 128GB - comprising a 4GB FAT partition and 124GB unallocated.

It is also badged as Sony Viao, but there doesn't appear to be any comparable model on the Sony website.

Essential Buzz
12th Oct 2005, 11:11
OK, red face at this end ... I'm still having minor problems, but have solved the main hitch by formatting the drive!!

Thanks for the help.