PDA

View Full Version : Ame/ Pilot

lostsuitcase
12th Oct 2005, 08:25
Hello

I am an AME currently working in Australia. I have got almost 5 years of experience in heavy maintenance. Currently I am considering to take a year off and study for a commercial pilot license. What are my chance's in the industry with my mechanical back ground? Are the employers keen to have somebody who can maintain and fly?

any thoughts?

Cheers

cuffs
12th Oct 2005, 09:33
If the employer is smart enough you will have no poblems getting a job. I remember teaching a QANTAS apprentice to fly and he is now a DJ737 skipper and a good bloke to boot. His old man would not let him finish his flying untill he finished is apprentaship. I hear that there is a Cairns company with two ex QANTAS lames flying around.
GO FOR IT

dude65
12th Oct 2005, 09:49
Mr Case

Did you get your flying school sorted out?

I don't think they want Mr odd job ,but, having a good grip on how machinery works wont hurt one bit.

I don't think sitting around in 30 years time saying to yourself " I should have done that", is much of an option.

lostsuitcase
12th Oct 2005, 11:27
hey dude

I haven't sorted the flying school out but I am having a introduction lesson on Saturday!!!:D

According the guy from the flying school I will be with my mechanical back ground and my mature age (27) I am having a good chance... but I just want to know if this guy telling the truth or trying to sell me a $60,000 course...?

I don't think sitting around in 30 years time saying to yourself " I should have done that", is much of an option.

Well.. that's crossed my mind lately... quite often

I just wonder in worst case scenario "if" this whole pilot dream of my will be one big disaster, I end up with a big loan probably somewhere up north...will the regret be bigger or smaller than some years down the track wondering why the hell I never had the guts to do it...

But at the other hand... when I am reading these posts here on this forum, I am quite shocked about the pay pilots receive.... Is it all worth it?

When will be a pilot job (money wise) pay off 40k or + ? Or does it ends at 30k :yuk:

Cheers :ok:

bushy
12th Oct 2005, 11:42
Lostsuitcase
The G.A.industry is desperate for lame's, and most would love to have a lame/pilot, provided you can still be a spanner man. I think the advice in a previous post is very sound. Get your lame ticket before doing the flying. It's cheaper, and pays much better.
You will get a job because of your lame qualification.
Pay for a pilot is about the same as for a teacher, and a lame/pilot should get more.

rammel
12th Oct 2005, 11:53
It's not an impossible thing to achieve. I know a guy in QF who was a LAME and who had also been flying during his apprenticeship. He is now a FO with QF. He would now be aged about 34-35 so it definitly sounds like you could achieve it.

littletruck
12th Oct 2005, 11:56
Mate I was a LAME equivalent in the Airforce for 6 years always had the bug to fly. I did exactly what you are contemplating threw down the tools and did my licence full time. Haven't looked back since.

Having an AME background is definitely an advantage. I have found GA Lame's will actually give you the time of day when they realise you actually know what your on about, generally they don't have a lot of time for fly boys.

A bit of trade knowledge also helped me through the dredded ATPL exams. Systems is a killer...

Guarantee you the fact you have 5yrs AME on your CV looks a lot better than having one of these Aviation Degrees the Uni's are offering.

Beats working for a living, here here Cuffs... GO FOR IT!

Capt Claret
12th Oct 2005, 12:08
Cuffs

Was the apprenti AF?

If so, I agree a hell of a nice bloke. I did his CTL on a DH8 some years ago. Circa 1999.

cuffs
12th Oct 2005, 22:26
Capt Claret yes it was AF.

Lloyd Braun
13th Oct 2005, 03:02
It may be possible to claim a portion of pilot training as a tax deduction if you are working as an AME at the same time as training for PPL etc.

Worth checking with an accountant and the ATO upfront.

I recall a certain charter/RPT co in NW WA actually ask for AME/pilot instead of just pilot.

Mr.Buzzy
13th Oct 2005, 08:15
Hi Lostsuitcase,
I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity of completing a trade as Engine/Airframe AME before chasing "The dream"
Being straight out of highschool and going into a highly skilled envronment with highly skilled people was fantastic! The friends I made during my apprenticeship, like so many I have made since truely are, friends for life.
Making the move from tradesperson to pilot was a little tough at times particularly when trying to get a first flying job. Some folks seemed eager to point out that "I am either a pilot or an engineer and it is not possible to be much good at both"
I found that my employers saw a "flying tradesman" as an easy way to solve some of the minor maintenance problems that may occur in some remote bases. Some may suggest maintenance authorities etc.

My only bits of advice would be:

1- Finish your basics ( try and get piston basics too) Always nice to know that you have a safety net and basics are tax deductible while you are a tradesman.

2- Consider very strongly the possibilty of doing your flying training part time while you continue to earn money as an AME. It's always easier to get a job in the industry when you already have a job in the industry.

3- When you do land a flying job, possibly on the premise of you being an engineer as well, be mindful that any maintenance work you perform has to be done under supervision of the maintenance CofA holder. Unless you are licenced and working under somebodies CofA you really cant do much more than that allowed by a line pilot. Some employers tend to think you can be an all singing all dancing show when something breaks down.

4- Buy a good camera and have a great time!!!!!

PM should you have any queries.

Buzzy....

bbbbbbzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz