PDA

View Full Version : Apache Helicopter

geraintw
11th Oct 2005, 17:45
This may or not be the right forum to ask, but is it just the Army that operates the Apache helicopter?

Saw 2 lurking over Port Talbot today, dunno why they were there, but they looked very impressive!! Sadly they didn't come to obliterate the town, but still....

Are they still only based in the east of England? Or do I spot Westland on a test flight?

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Oct 2005, 18:22
I saw one in North Yorks during the summer flying low, just north of Harrogate. Army as well I think.

Taffer
12th Oct 2005, 20:19
Apaches have been conducting carrier trials, with a view to letting the RM play about with them in the future. Just Army at the moment though.

Looks like the crabs will be the only ones left out!

geraintw
12th Oct 2005, 23:12
Well they were back again today travelling towards West Wales. Wonder if they've been holidaying at St Athan :D

snips
13th Oct 2005, 07:33
I think they're involved in big army big exercise at the Castle Martin Range. :cool:

squigs
13th Oct 2005, 12:04
i doubt it very much that even if they were available to the general public that anyone would have one. with a hefty(i'm talkin millions) price tag to the army.....god knows what they would charge to the public consumer. i would also say unless they make a "bodykit" that the helicopter would look alot less menacing than its army counterpart.

geraintw
13th Oct 2005, 15:35
Sorry if my questions seemed slighly ambiguous, I meant is it the Army out of the armed forces, or do the RAF etc... operate them :D

Hot Charlie
13th Oct 2005, 20:34
Yes they are operated by the Army, not the RAF or Navy. The RAF for one wouldn't have such an ugly beast on its books...:yuk:

I suspect the confusion may come from the fact they operate from RAF Wattisham and RAF Dishforth (hence the spot near Harrogate)...:)

Sven Sixtoo
13th Oct 2005, 22:19
The RAF for one wouldn't have such an ugly beast

:E Just let me at it and see how wrong you can be:E

Also (pedantic git mode on)

Neither Wattisham nor Dishforth are RAF stations. Both have for several years belonged to the Army Air Corps.

(pedantic git mode off)

Sven