PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Global Supply Systems Not Fly As BA?

Skipness One Echo
11th Oct 2005, 17:07
Why do the Stansted based Atlas subsidiary (honest it might as well be) Global Supply Systems not paint their aircraft in BA colours? When Atlas had the contract with an US registered aircraft it carried the Chelse Rose scheme and looked beautiful. Now they look non descript with tiny BA titles. If it's a BA operation, why hide it?

Jack's a dull boy
11th Oct 2005, 17:45
because it isn't a BA operation

...next question

Kelas
11th Oct 2005, 19:19
Jack's a dull boy

Why don't you explain who does own it instead of being a rude jackass!

Avius
12th Oct 2005, 02:35
Skipness,

GSS is not part of BA. GSS is an operator, who provides just Aircraft, Crew, Maintenance & Insurance (ACMI) to BA, who bear all other costs such as Fuel, ATC, Landing Fees, etc.

This gives BA access to pure B747-400F freighter operation, at a rather small cost, while keeping their exposure to risk virually at zero. Not bad deal for BA -the company- , but it has created some waves amongst the BA Pilots and their GSS counterparts, albeit for valid reasons on both sides. (Details see another thread)

Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings owns 49% of GSS as well as the Airframes, which it leases back to GSS. As to who owns the other 51% of GSS, that is a little bit of a grey zone. There is an official statement, that the 51% are held by one British private investor, who had no prior involvement with aviation.

Therefore, it is imaginable -or even likely-, that he is just a legal/political front man for either BA or Atlas, or maybe even a third unnamed institutional investor with strategical interest in the Airfreight industry.

Whether BA will eventually take over GSS is the next big question. My guess is that it might do so at some point, if they can negotiate a B scale with BACC to keep their cost structure competitive with other Cargo operators.

Time will tell.

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers

OneWorld22
12th Oct 2005, 10:33
Why would BA offer an ACMI carrier staff travel or seniority access??

It's not BA, BA have hired the airline to carry their freight that's it.

PPRuNe Radar
12th Oct 2005, 10:41
BA do let them use their callsign :ok:

Skipness One Echo
12th Oct 2005, 11:19
Now I might be wrong but they fly with a "Speedbird" callsign.
They fly BA freight. They carry small BA titles.
And they're (almost) owned by Atlas Air.

Got to hand it to Waterworld - they get to have their cake and eat it sometimes. Thanks to the lads who answered constructively, it says a lot about your professionalism and personality.

Cheers guys!

loadingmanual
14th Oct 2005, 09:53
Any news on the 4th -400F yet?

CR2
14th Oct 2005, 11:53
I'd heard (rumour of course) that GSS would get a Polar -400. However, it seems that with the deal signed btwn PO & AAWH, the aircraft stays where it is. I think. :confused:

WhaleDriver
14th Oct 2005, 16:39
In relation to GSS, planes are staying put. What you heard about was in case Polar went away.

Hangin' on
14th Oct 2005, 19:12
JaDB....let me just check my sympathy meter....oooops sorry still reading zero.:yuk: