PDA

View Full Version : Establishing a Career

N8325H
11th Oct 2005, 16:56
Hi,

I was just browsing the forums trying answer some of my own questions, which were answered for the most part. However, I'm still pondering how in the world any of you, now professtional pilots, determined that this was the career path for you?

I love to fly, it provides me with so much freedom and serenity, but how do I know that in ten years I'm not going to hate it, or that my reasons for picking the aviation field were short lived?

Secondly, does graduating from a big and famous aviation school make a big difference in how many and the kind of job oppurtinuties? Or is it the same as getting all you ratings through a small town flight instructor?

Thanks,

SP :D

Kestrel_909
11th Oct 2005, 21:27
but how do I know that in ten years I'm not going to hate it,

You don't, unless you try. Same applies to any other career surely, though admittedly flying is lifestyle as well.

CM9
12th Oct 2005, 13:57
I have recently got my private licence and I love flying - how can you not but I have huge issues with anxiety. I am fine once I am checking the aircraft before flying but from when I book the flight till I am doing the pre-flight checks I am a nervous wreck.

I don't want to invest in flying as a career and then realise that I live my life full of anxiety. I wouldn't be able to handle flying everyday with this anxiety.

Any advice?

scroggs
12th Oct 2005, 16:38
Professional flying involves a never-ending serirs of checks, failure at which has the potential to bring your career to an end. You have to face this situation 3 or 4 times a year - medicals, line checks and simulator checks. And that's once you are qualified and type-rated; while you are in training you are constantly being assessed and, if you are sponsored or in an airline-associated training scheme, at risk of being chopped.

This is stressful. Many people find they can't cope with the stress, but most do cope one way or another. You never get used to it though! You have to give yourself a chance, but it's no disgrace if you feel unable to countenance this level of examination for the rest of your professional life - no other profession suffers anything like it.

Scroggs

CM9
13th Oct 2005, 10:57
Thanks scroggs

I really appreciate this kind of insight. This is the information that ones needs to get their hands on before embarking on this career - so that if it doesn't deter you, you can prepare and deal with it - not feel side swiped by it.

stellair
13th Oct 2005, 15:51
CM9

Scroggs is dead right but look upon it as a professional challenge that you can rise to. It will give you great satisfaction knowing you are up to par and something to strive for if your not. If it was easy everyone would do it. Guess it takes a certain type of person but with hard work I really believe flying for a living is the best job in the world. I don't think it matters where you get your licence, I followed a self improver route, getting what I could as money allowed but I was very focused. There is an argument for going through a 509 course such as continuity of training and quicker qualification, how much dosh do you have? Good luck :ok:

N8325H
13th Oct 2005, 20:29
Thanks alot for the input.....although I'm still in the same hard spot as I was before.

Being so young and told over and over again that I can choose to do whatever I choose seems to open too many choices, sometimes. Not to mention that any time a huge descision is made no matter how hard I try it always seems to be part wrong in some way.....

I have my mind mind up 95% about being a pilot, however who knows what the future holds for me for sure, stuff happens......

scroggs
13th Oct 2005, 23:03
Stellair 'Self-improver'? '509'-er? Obsolete terms, irrelevant to the current situation - and which today's Wannabes will not understand, and have no need to understand. I appreciate your input, but if you don't have a comprehensive understanding of the current training scenario, please don't confuse the issue with your out-of-date stuff. It's not helpful.

Scroggs

Steve Langford
20th Oct 2005, 23:44
Might as well not make anothor topic and ask my question here. What if I don't have the money for my ATP?