PDA

View Full Version : Albert Formation

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 10:52
Well deepest Wilts airbase has got 5 airborne at same time, just went low level over Chippenham , closely followed by Vicky and a Globethrasher...!!!!
Approx 30mins ago

truckiebloke
11th Oct 2005, 13:59
yes, and if you look out on thursday you will see it again!!!

The display is just a small part of the day when a whole lot of important people arrive from europe.... and the budget is unlimitless!!! so there has been new paint jobs and conference rooms.....hundreds of MT cars when you normally cant find one..

now wheres the money to give the aircraft better DAS......

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 14:18
Funny that,

We got loads of dosh to waste on people that most of us aint ever going to see let alone know who / what they doing here in the first place...

We have guys n gals stuck in all four corners of the globe and unable to move them... yet we can get a 5 ship formation in the air for a bunch of overrated penpushers/vips or whoever they are...
So glad the MOD has got there priorities right yet again....!!!!

C130 Techie
11th Oct 2005, 15:27
Not to mention the chaos and disruption that will be forced upon those mere mortals unfortunate enough to be at Lyneham on Thursday. Like AOCs days of old but on a much grander scale.

Glad to see that we still have time for bullsh1t and farce in spite of todays operational tempo:mad:

truckiebloke
11th Oct 2005, 16:15
Trips cancelled and this is top priority at Lyneham at the moment - all because we need to be seen in the best light.....

Like logistics loader says, people stuck all over and cant get home, but its ok 'cos we'll pretend to the europeans that we actually are a competent airforce.....

what a joke

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 16:20
If they got any sense TruckieBloke,, they know RAF stands for

Royal

Air

Farce

Now im a civvy, i wonder if i can complain about my Taxes being used to repaint conference rooms and making RAF Lyinham smell like a Dulux paint factory...

Not 1 person in that group is or will be made aware of our troops stuck out somewhere !!!

I'd much rather see a 5 ship legging it across chanel and en route to those that need it...

BTW....

How many frames have "been found" for disaster relief in India ????

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 17:06
Doubt any complaining will do owt...
Certainly wont get our troops back will it !!!

BEagle
11th Oct 2005, 17:12
5 Hercs?

Gosh - how very impressive. NOT! 30+ years ago the RAF could put 36 up at the same time; I flew on the jump seat of no. 33 in 1971. There was once a reasonable sized transport force with Hercs, Andovers, Bassets, Devons, Pembrokes, Belfasts, Brittanias, '10s - even a whole squadron of VIP Comets!

And now it's just possible to get 5 Hercs airborne at the same time?

Just who is that supposed to impress?

monkeybumhead
11th Oct 2005, 17:29
I guess all flying has been chopped to a bare minimum to generate 5 servicable frames for this, not to mention the boys and girls on the HLS and FLECS working their ar$es off.

Q. Who gets the gash days off for all this?

A. All the day workers who haven't been working round the clock to ensure there are 5 frames to show off with.

Thank's for nothing. I would rather our efforts went towards something constructive, like bringing our troops home on time or relief operations, not some bull$hit just to make some ar$ehole$ happy. Where do our priorities lie?

Lara crofts pants
11th Oct 2005, 17:34
5 frames?

Is that the best that we can manage even when we're trying to show off?

Looks like the old OC Eng left quite an impressive legacy

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 17:36
BEagle,

It is impressive for those VIP's going to watch RAF Lyinham flying display on thursday.

What is not impressive is the fact we can host a load of foreigners but not look after our own !!!!!!

Also 30yrs ago we werent sending all our troops to every known trouble spot in the world, but when we did, we had Commanders with BALLS... Mad Mitch...!!!

Took the fight to the enemy and kicked arris...

If Stormin Norman and Sir Peter De Le Billiere had been left to do the job correctly in 91 maybe our troops would not be back there now !!! After all how many PM's have we had with BALLS...???

1 !!!!! MAGGIE THATCHER OP CORPORATE 1982

truckiebloke
11th Oct 2005, 17:47
beags... not impressed?? well there was an apache too, ooh and 2 chinooks....and a VC-10..... what about now??!!!

As i see it, alot of people have put alot of work and effort into this, just to try and show that we are capable of something...

It is all ar*e unfortunately. There are currently people living out in iraq on a pitiful welfare package comprising some old newspapers,dvd's,limited internet and wait for it..... 20 MINS A WEEK PHONECALL!!!

Any money spare to help these guys out? Sorry , its gone on all the politicians and their hanger ons who claim expenses for everything.....

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 17:52
TruckieBloke

Here Here....

sums it up nicely !!!

Kengineer-130
11th Oct 2005, 18:36
What a farce, commiting all the transport fleet to show off to a load of VIP's who havn't got the fogiest about the current airframe/manpower shortage. AND, they stuffed a K frame into the runway tail first yesterday, 4G heavy landing, good skills you :mad: :rolleyes: , so yet another frame is going to be broken for months meaning even less fleet avaliability than normal. When the Q aircraft (ie need it quick for emergencys!!) is being used as a display aircraft, it does worry you a bit. Very pretty formation though ;)

Oh, and has anyone noticed how suddenly the food has improved dramatically in the airmens mess whilst it is combined messing with the officers??? :rolleyes: amazing that :mad:

P-T-Gamekeeper
11th Oct 2005, 18:51
I doubt it has anything to do with impressing the O's. The food in our mess is far worse. A duty meal when delayed is always a pleasure.

Officers messes these days are a front - posh carpets and silver cutlery, but appalling to live in(No hot water,mildewed rooms(if you can get one) and rubbish food). We do have some good staf though.

Lara crofts pants
11th Oct 2005, 19:10
Quite right to stop people ranting and raving. I must correct you on the Margaret Thatcher, no balls thing though. Clearly untrue - you'll be saying that
Fatima Whitbread wasn't her brother next!

oik
11th Oct 2005, 19:21
We used to have a transport fleet. We also used to have an Air Force.

I have more bus hours as a pax than AT hours as a pax over the last 10 years.

We all know that it's rubbish, but we have to cope, otherwise the RAF will cease to function.

Sad isn't it?

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 19:30

In line with all other posts on this Website Pprune, everyone at some stage refers to anything in aviation with a tongue in cheek description....

If you read back i called a VC10 Vicky, C130 Albert, C17 Globethrasher....HMS Invincible was christened HMS Invisible in the Falklands....

After 23yrs in a blue suit, im sure im capable of spelling Lyneham correctly.....!!! in fact it was my last tour before promotion to MR !!!

EU Defence Ministers = FOREIGNERS in my book !!!
MY OPINION IT WONT CHANGE !!!

As for the Biology lesson....

Maggie had Balls alright, she took on those who thought she was a pushover, how wrong they were...

Does your Boss have a spine??? probably not, because he or she has been to Sleaford Tech, oh sorry, Royal Air Force Cranwell (for the f@&kwit)

My ramblings are not inane, but like most people around the bazaars, they are opinions/views based on what is happening in the real world.....

The real world where troops are some 5 weeks late back, personnel in FI are now late back too....ok this is as a result of a ground incident, but it is still a real world scenario taking place right now...!!!

If a group of Defence VIP's takes a higher precedence over our troops, then im very sorry, this Government needs to re-address its priorities....

After all, if the current Government wants to remain in power, they may well lose a lot of votes from within the services.....

insty66
11th Oct 2005, 20:21
LL

I agre with your sentiments but.............

The rate people are PVRing out there there will be no service voters left:\ :{

btw

Did any one do a VSA on thursdays hooha? :8

Is it being carried out iaw "Lean philosophy" :suspect:

Waste of money IMVHO

monkeybumhead
11th Oct 2005, 20:42
Our current PM does have a set of balls, unfortunately they belong to a certain Mr G Bush and are to be found on Tonys chin!!!:oh: :oh: :eek: :yuk:

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2005, 21:36

I dont have any anger against the RAF....

Just the F@*Kwits who aint got a scooby doo!!!!

After all, i go to work , Mon - Fri.....not 8-5......

I'm my own boss when im away from the Office....

No GDT, No Guard duty, No DWR, no more SH1 TE that you guys seem to be having to put up with....

I wanted to stay to age 47, but now on reflection, chuffed to NAAFI breaks im out !!!!

Beeayeate
11th Oct 2005, 23:23
Beags
There was once a reasonable sized transport force with . . . Bassets,. . .

Bassets? Used in the same sentence as "transport force". You are joking I hope.

:rolleyes:

Logistics Loader
12th Oct 2005, 08:29

I cant say why cuz i wasnt on the board of rdneys who decides who get its !!!

Seems the forces are forgetting that the "old School" have the experience..yet they are the ones being "retired" / "forced redundancy" whichever way you look at they forces are in a bad way..

charliegolf
12th Oct 2005, 08:50
Call a meeting: seriously, in this PC day and age, they'll crap themselves.

Have it in the NAAFI the evening before.

You'll make the news.....

CG

southside
12th Oct 2005, 09:31
Well you do seem fired up about a lot of stuff. You can email Tony Blair if you want to ask when our troops are coming home

Why would anyone want the troops to come home? I can maybe understand a Lesbo bike rider wanting to end the war but why would a serviceman want the troops home? Surely most servicemen would want the troops to stay out there as long as possible.

C130 Techie
12th Oct 2005, 09:43
Southside

Is that a serious comment:confused: :confused:

tarbaby
12th Oct 2005, 10:51
5 Hercs? 20% of a night JATFOR sojourn low level around Scotland. I suppose that's progress!

Logistics Loader
12th Oct 2005, 10:56
Why would anyone want the troops to come home? I can maybe understand a Lesbo bike rider wanting to end the war but why would a serviceman want the troops home? Surely most servicemen would want the troops to stay out there as long as possible.

Seems like this guy doesnt want the troops back because it would mean its his turn....!!!

If there was a whole point to being out there yes, we should maintain a presence, but it seems now the tinpot dictators are ousted, the Allies are no longer wanted/appreciated...

GW1 was the same...wanted us to do the "dirty work" then couldnt wait to get rid of us !!!

Splash Coxswain
12th Oct 2005, 11:47
My! My! My! What a tirade of unadulterated drivel from both sides of the debate and just because 5 Alberts got airborne from Lyneham. Grow up, peeps, for God's sake!

Logistics Loader
12th Oct 2005, 11:58
Cox
and just because 5 Alberts got airborne from Lyneham. Grow up, peeps, for God's sake!

The topic was started because of the 5 a/c....

We have troops stuck and cant provide airlift for them....!!!
Yet 5 a/c are available for a display for VIPS...!!

Not a case of growing up...
I am grown up and see the problems things like this are causing....

Man overboard.....!!

Sorry pal no boats available to pick him up....poor sod drowns....!!!
Dont think so do you !!!

Splash Coxswain
12th Oct 2005, 12:10
As I said, My! My! My!

BEagle
12th Oct 2005, 12:18
The point being, Cocksplashstain, that at a time when the engineering at Lyneham is totally porked up and there aren't enough aircraft available to meet the operational commitment, getting 5 aircraft working at the same time just to pose to a bunch of VIPs is hardly an efficient use of time or resources. Particularly when morale is at the nadir it currently is widely reported to be.

Logistics Loader
12th Oct 2005, 12:56
here here Beagle

Splash Coxswain
12th Oct 2005, 15:42
BEagle and LL,

Forgive me, but I see no statement in the opening post that raises the issue of VIPs or anybody else for that matter being the privileged audience in the successful launch of 5 Alberts from Lyneham! Maybe, the post was directed only at those people in the know! If so, maybe it should have been aired elsewhere rather than on an internationally available website.

Therefore, all I am saying is, that it is quite amazing how much unadulterated drivel can be attracted by a fairly benign initial post. I am, deliberately, not taking sides as to whether it is a good or a bad thing that Alberts are being used for a VIP flypast (or whatever).

Just commenting upon how inflamed this particular forum has become over what appeared to be an innocuous first post.

My! My! My! How defensive you people have become!

Splash

monkeybumhead
12th Oct 2005, 19:51
Just to add a bit of fuel to this thread, I think it is 6 (SIX) frames for tomorrows waste of taxpayers money with at least 1 spare. Why the waste when there are troops waiting to come home. Obviously a bit of showboating to the boxheads/frogs/and all other visitors is if a higher priority than the welfare of our own troops. It makes me sick.:yuk: :yuk:

I wonder if they will let the visitors anywhere those who are pi$$ed right off tomorrow? I doubt it very much as she who has now f##ked off told the spams and government that the system was a working success. Can't have her with egg on her face now can we??????:mad: :mad:

RedFlag
12th Oct 2005, 21:42
Sadly enough the whole Military Capability Demo tomorrow is nothing more than a sales ad for typhoon, only with a very expensive production budget. Believe it or not the conference is at Lyneham to save money.... how does that work?

And no, they won't let the great unwashed near the VIPs, in case we let them know the truth.

Barn Doors
12th Oct 2005, 23:24
Eh?!

Capability demonstration for Type-hoon?!! Utter bolleux!!

:mad:

Why then, are 4 Harrier GR7s opening the show and the only sniff of a 'Eurofighter' will be hanging off the back end of a VC10 to close the fiasco?!!

Sorry.....I do apologise, it IS a capability demonstration of Typhoon as thats all its bloody cleared to do right now (when its not snapping the probe off with overtake problems, or burning the grass during aerobatics!)

Speculation....dangerous thing....

BD

Logistics Loader
13th Oct 2005, 11:01
Well its been and gone...

Didnt see the Harrier's
4x C130
1x VC10 trailing 2x hoses
2x Typhoons
1x C17

I think there was a Chinook involved, heard it, didnt see it....Believe there was a Lynx providing "top cover" around 6,000ft ish....

Was it worth it ????

haltonapp
13th Oct 2005, 13:21
I can remember taking part in Excercise Bold Guard in the mid 70's, 36 ship night formation of Alberts! Bit of a disaster from the planning of the DZ's, but what a p*ss up we had in the SNCO's mess when the first night was postponed. We all had to stay on camp until the excercise was flown. Little gems come to me, no catering because the plods closed the ramp and would not let the catering truck on, 5 hrs plus with only the water in the emergency flasks to drink and no cups!

Happy days!!!!

MOSTAFA
13th Oct 2005, 14:16
Sadly, so do I remember that night, vividly, but I was one of the poor sods dumped out of the back all over the place. One disasterous error after another.

I think the death toll topped 10 in the end.

Don't remember them has happy days.

Splash Coxswain
13th Oct 2005, 14:55
Haltonapp, you insensitive ass! Your "bit of a disaster from the planning of the DZ's" comment must be the PPRuNe understatement of the century! The airdrop was an unmitigated disaster that resulted in a significant number of deaths. If you were indeed anything to do with it, either in the planning or the execution, you should be hanging your head in shame not bugling your trumpet on PPRuNe.

Gainesy
13th Oct 2005, 15:02
Was that the clusterfcuk when a load of blokes went into the Kiel Canal?

truckiebloke
13th Oct 2005, 16:19
What i did find slightly amusing was the fact that John Reid insisted on having his on personal security team, even though he was flown in, was surrounded by civil and military police, soldiers and on an RAF base....

After all, we do have the best equipment, weapons and ammunition.... and lots of it.....!!!

Logistics Loader
13th Oct 2005, 16:43
TB,

So even more money and resouces used up...!!!

Just watched Local TV coverage of RAF Lyneham hosting the EU party.....

I watched in horror as the 2 Chinooks came in, with underslung loads....only to see what looked like a parachute, marking the drop point?? FLY UP....there was also other FOD , clearly visible...

Wouldn\'t have been a good PR job if it resulted in aircraft/personnel lost ....

rej
13th Oct 2005, 17:54
Did the place act with major overkill today? Are our own personnel a security risk?

I tried to get onto the Station today to go to the medical centre. 'Friendly plod' on the gate said that unless I was on essential duty I was not allowed onto the Station. When I explained that I was going to the Medical Centre, he stated that there was nobody there.

I bloody well hope that there was someone there if there was flying ops on the airfield and if there was nobody there why was there a window open in the dental centre. Total bull$****.

Does that mean that everyone not involved in the visit was stood down today, I think not.

Does a F1250 no longer give one access to a unit? -

What if I was a poor soul who lives-in - would I have been confined to my room, place of work or kicked out on the streets until the conference members had left?

haltonapp
13th Oct 2005, 19:00
I am sorry if my comment of Happy Days came over as insensitive, I was just making trhe comment that my time in the Air Force at that time was happy. I do believe that the German General who planned it committed suicide.

Hanging head in shame, all mistakes are Belgian beer induced! I do not work in NATO by the way, I earn my crust flying night freight, a jobs a job.

truckiebloke
13th Oct 2005, 19:02
rej,

if you were a poor soul who lived in, you would have been fooked around all week, not been able to park your car in the car park, have to eat elsewhere, and show your 1250 to get into your oom in the mess.....

Also, you would now be blinded by the ghastly blue and white paint job on the mess front and crash your car on the roundabout as the Comet is now lit up like a xmas tree!!!

All none essential med appointment were canx.....

Logistics Loader
13th Oct 2005, 19:19
So the world stops for the Common Man...!!!!

MOSTAFA
13th Oct 2005, 19:57
Apology accepted Halton, thanks

monkeybumhead
13th Oct 2005, 20:44
Just to confirm:

5 X Herc
4 X Carbon fibre death provider
2 X Rotary death banana
2 X Apache
1 X C17
1 X Vickers whisper jet
2 X Typhoo
7 X Meat bombs (Well worth the role change on Albert)
Not sure on the Lynx front but saw one skulking around in the cloud.
: took part in todays excelent spunking of tax payers cash.

Thought one of the carbon jobbies (the last one) was about to cause a scene as it dissappeared below the hedges (Forgot we live on a hill).
Utter waste of time, and I wasn't allowed to roam the asp like a lost soul (as per normal). The pointless aircraft moves were well recieved as well. Thanks to the bright spark who thought up that one. I mean 2 Js parked on the pan with leading edges off aren't going to fool anyone are they??????

rej
13th Oct 2005, 21:08
truckiebloke

Yup, I've already been blinded by the paint job. Thank god it was the paint, I thought the nausea was caused by too many beers at HH last Fri. I assume the plants are on 'sale or return'. And I am pretty confident that the illuminations will now be switched off - who's going to pay the leckie bill!

phutbang
13th Oct 2005, 23:35
These are nothing to do with me but...

here... (http://www.ukar.co.uk/board/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=7830)

and here... (http://www.ukar.co.uk/board/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=7836)

are some shots of Tuesdays and Thursdays events.

PS...Haven’t seen 305 looking so good since...?

monkeybumhead
14th Oct 2005, 06:47
Phut.

It only looks good from the front as her ar$e has taken a bit of a spanking.

Data-Lynx
14th Oct 2005, 07:35
Here's the spin from the MoD site:
Defence Ministers from across the European Union met at RAF Lyneham on 13 October 2005 to discuss EU defence matters, including the EUFOR (European Union Force) mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In the meeting, chaired by UK Defence Secretary John Reid, Ministers discussed how EUFOR should evolve in its second year of operation, and how it can best work alongside Bosnian authorities and other international actors to promote peace and stability in the region.
While at RAF Lyneham, the Ministers watched a demonstration of expeditionary military capabilities that the UK could deploy in a future EU-led peace support operation, such as in Africa.Rapidly deployable expeditionary capability is also at the heart of the development of EU Battlegroups, which have given the EU an additional capability that is ideally suited to crises where early intervention could prevent a large-scale catastrophe.

So now we know! Has the Med Centre re-opened?

monkeybumhead
14th Oct 2005, 11:57
The Med centre is now open. Book your appointments now for 3 months in advance, you never know when you may need one and it is the only way to ensure you can get one.

If all we can offer is 7 paras then it is a sad state of affairs.

tonyosborne
14th Oct 2005, 16:27
If all we can offer is 7 paras then it is a sad state of affairs.

It wasn't all that bad, I and many others were rather impressed by the whole show, its just a pity that such a display can't be shown to Joe Public...

Logistics Loader
14th Oct 2005, 16:32
Personally i'd rather have seen these "spare" aircraft
5x Herc
1x VC10
1x C17

Used to better effect for the jobs they should be on, not dancing around the sky trying to show others what we "may" be able to do if we had more manpower....!!!
Which we aint have we????

KPax
14th Oct 2005, 21:20
Spare a thought for the poor guy who ended up with a suspected serious leg injury. People were doing the job they were told to do, we are in the forces afterall. The parachute did blow onto the runway just as the C17 tried to land, he went round, runway cleared he landed. No drama.

The Rocket
14th Oct 2005, 21:36
Blimey!

That's twice now that this thread has been on the top, and Logistics Loader has been surfing PPRuNe all night

Is it possible we've found a topic he hasn't got an opinion on!!:eek: :eek:

;)

Always_broken_in_wilts
14th Oct 2005, 21:50
It's only a matter of time:E

all spelling mistakes are 'df" alcohol induced

TOPBUNKER
15th Oct 2005, 00:33
Well done guys. For those not at EGDL the front of the OM was 'decorated' overnight showing the Sqn's mark. Everyone giggling and applauding apart of course from the RAFP.

Aformentioned gits wanted to make Mess into a crime scene and press criminal damage charges.

Question though: Where were they (the Scuffers) when alleged offence was being committted-it took quite some time; surely they patrol the Living Accomodation areas (outside - we know that they would love to go inside to arrest JPs for enjoying themselves)?

Did they not notice the Large Crash Vehicle with it's ladders up being used for said decoration, or were they too busy scoffing Doughuts & Coffee to leave their front door?

They only noticed at 8A.M. ish, ('Offence took place arond 2A.M.)how long does it take for 'Al Qaieda' to plant a device?

What are they there for????

However, I say again, well done LXX.

BEagle
15th Oct 2005, 06:58
If Lyneham's OM is anything like most of the shabby old buildings on RAF aerodromes, I'm sure that a little fresh paintwork will have brightened it up considerably.

Someone at Lyneham must have a digital camera......

Or will Pinky and Perky pull them for taking photos of a 'crime scene'?

rej
15th Oct 2005, 08:23
Fan-bloody-tastic

One thing is for certain, the new paint job must have been of first- class quality due ot the number of 'artists' on LXX.

Poor old rozzers - I suppose the dictionaries had to come out yesterday at the Lyneham police HQ for them to spell words such as decorate and paint - they are usually only asked to spell things like 'movers' and '47 AD'.

Lara crofts pants
15th Oct 2005, 08:51
Please please please tell me that the RAFP aren't going to try to investigate with a view to pressing charges.

Mind you, they could have caught them rehanded yet still manage to cock up the sbsequent investigation - as per usual. Maybe we should be grateful that they are as rubbish as they are, as we can get away with more!!

Good on yer LXX