PDA

View Full Version : "High and the Mighty" - John Wayne

PPRuNe Pop
10th Oct 2005, 09:48
I ordered it, and Island in the Sky, from Amazon today at a cost of about £20 inc of shipping. Best to put the title in Google I think.

As this a subject that comes up frequently I thought you would like to know. Its been a long time coming!

PPP

Bus429
10th Oct 2005, 11:12
Is that the one in which John Wayne (copilot) gives Robert Stack (the big cheeese) a couple of smacks to demonstrate commitment to CRM?

dusk2dawn
10th Oct 2005, 14:35
Well, as the introduction says: It's a movie of its time ;)

Groundloop
10th Oct 2005, 14:57
Trouble is they are both only available as Region 1, NTSC DVDs.

I've got an NTSC compatible TV but not a Region 1 DVD player!

Hope they eventually realise there is a market outside the US and issue it for region 2 players (with PAL TV format).

PPRuNe Pop
10th Oct 2005, 15:52
Mike J is right. You can do it pretty easily and be legal. But on the other hand its nobodys business if you alter your own machine. For £20 most Video repair shops will install a chip that sorts it. It will invalidate your warranty though.

On the other hand you can pay £24 for a cheap but very good Hitachi DVD player at Argos and bingo = All regions.

Bof
10th Oct 2005, 23:02
I bought a Pioneer DVD recorder last year from Empire. They offered in their blurb, an all regions conversion for £8. No problem. I think it took them about 10 minutes to convert.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Oct 2005, 21:42
I have just spent over two hours watching the High and the Mighty. A good film that I even in my years I have not seen before. Very good it was. A little bit schmalzy in places but a good watch.

Island in the Sky will be good for the weekend.

dusk2dawn
28th Oct 2005, 11:42
Just bought a Phillips DVP 3005 player for 89 € and the salesman politely offered the "how-to-alter-region-as-desired" in writing. Piece of cake !

Taff Missed
28th Oct 2005, 12:49
Based on the excellent book by Ernest K Gann of 'Fate is the Hunter' fame.

Taff

Flyrr100
28th Oct 2005, 13:52
I bought a JVC XV-N312 DVD player I found on ebay. It's multi region, multi system, multi voltage. It'll play a PAL DVD on a US NTSC TV. Cost around $60.00 brand new. I've been playing Brit DVDs for a year now. And love it!
I'm sure it'll play the other way around. No hacks needed.
Enjoy.........

Conc
28th Oct 2005, 19:19
Watched "Island in the Sky" the other day, "High and the Mighty" has not arrived yet. Gann and Wayne at their best!

PaperTiger
28th Oct 2005, 22:00
All together now, http://midistudio.com/Studios/TedK/midi/HighMity.mid

Daysleeper
30th Oct 2005, 18:35
Hello conc they let you watch dvd's at work cos your never home when I call.:}

barit1
30th Oct 2005, 19:24
Wonder who made more shekels from this flick, Gann or Dmitri Tiomkin (who wrote the music)?

pigboat
31st Oct 2005, 01:18
Do not under any circumstances, ever, ever pay any of your money - hard-earned or otherwise - for the movie Fate Is The Hunter, starring Rod Taylor. It is so unbelievably bad Ernest Gann disavowed having anything to do with it, and forbade the use of his name in the credits. :yuk:

XL5
31st Oct 2005, 07:22
Indeed. But it does give pause to setting one's coffee cup down on the centre consul. When handed coffee I now hum a few bars of 'Blue Moon' and set the cup down anyway. After all, it's only a movie.

Note to accident investigators: should I log my final arrival in a smoking hole you'll know which line of inquiry to pursue.

Peter Barron
31st Oct 2005, 15:57
Just to let you know for those who have Sky TV.

John Wayne in the Flying Tigers is on tonight at 7pm on Life TV Channel 160.

Peter.