PDA

View Full Version : What do French Pilots do?

fly311
10th Oct 2005, 02:33
Salut!

I am sorry to ask this in english (If I try in French we will all be embarrased!) but I am an Australian pilot with a CPL and soon to be Instrument rated. When my training is finished I will be converting my licence to a JAA CPL with ATPL theory and my language to French.

When I have completed my training here in oz, I will be coming over to Europe.

What are the types of jobs French CPL graduates obtain when they finish their training? Is it similar to the UK where many pilots apply directly to airlines (and purchase jet endorsements) or are there job opportunities in General Aviation (GA) such as charters etc?

Unfortunately instructing is a little bit too difficult for me with the conversion (and language) rules etc so I was wondering what other types of GA jobs are up there for you guys. I don't want to come and take your jobs, however my partner is French and ideally it is the best place to be.

Je suis désolé pour l'anglais, j'apprends le français maintenant!
Merci Beaucoup

Doudou
10th Oct 2005, 10:29
Honestly, you will not take our job, because... there is not many GA jobs in France, even less than UK. Most of instructors do it for free, a little para dropping, very little aerial photo... but very very little. Yes, most of people here apply dircetly to airlines, and wait as FI.

Hope somebody will give you more advices, don't know much about UK, but I think it's a better destination.

Bre901
10th Oct 2005, 21:02
Doudou forgot one GA job : glider towing (rather seasonal I'd say except in the mountains).

fly311
11th Oct 2005, 02:48
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a difficult little industry to get in to. Much like the situation in every other country in the world I guess.

So I guess it'll be the UK for the short term. It is good to have some idea of what the French GA industry is like anyway. Thanks again for the info

Doudou
11th Oct 2005, 10:26
OH yes sorry, I forgot that one, but unfortunatly, they also do it for free.

PPRuNeUser0215
11th Oct 2005, 10:42
FLY311
The UK is a goldmine for jobs particularly for low time pilot as a jet job is well within their reach. Flying the Dash will come second but with the turn over companies experience at that level, a perfectly achievable career option. They often tend to forget it here ;)
Then you could fly some twin piston and companies paying decent money (for the type and size of aircraft that is) do exist.

Don't bother with France and save yourself time, headaches (French Administration) and money. Get a job instead that will allow to go on holiday or commute to and Fro France.

Good luck with you chosen move.

Bre901
11th Oct 2005, 13:11
Doudou

OH yes sorry, I forgot that one, but unfortunatly, they also do it for free.Not everywhere, my club hires a towplane pilot for 2-3 months in the summer.

fly311
14th Oct 2005, 06:12
Thanks for the info AMEX - sounds a little more promising on the other side of the creek!