PDA

View Full Version : Westland Wasp over Wiltshire

Lyneham Lad
9th Oct 2005, 15:09
Sorry about the thread title - couldn't resist the opportunity for a bit of alliteration :p

Seen today over Fyfield Down (high ground W of Marlborough) whilst out on my Sunday lunchtime amble. It was heading towards Lyneham. A quick search on Google shows the Wasp to have been phased-out of service in 1988. Would have thought maintenance etc would be quite pricey for a private organisation (or individual). Anyone know who is operating it?

BEagle
9th Oct 2005, 15:35
If you go to G-INFO at http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1 and type in 'Westland Wasp', you'll find 6 registered privately.

maccer82
9th Oct 2005, 16:19
www.airliners.net/ update/index.main?id=758894

This one was on discovery wings not that long ago, owned by Kennet Aviation, based at Cranfield i think. Think they mentioned on the program that they do airshows in it, so it could be the one.

KPax
9th Oct 2005, 16:58
Believe the c/s is G-NOTY and is owned by an ex mil pilot who still does some sort of flying training. He is based near Lyneham

The Nr Fairy
9th Oct 2005, 17:45
There's a Scout which lives at Ogbourne St George, on the RHS as yo ugo towards Swindon.

There are one or two Scouts plus a Wasp based at Draycott Farm, just a bit north of there.

And there are some which Military Helicopters maintain / rebuild based at Thruxton, plus others around the country.

Lyneham Lad
9th Oct 2005, 18:58
Thanks for all the responses. Looks likely to be G-BYCX as it was most definitely a Wasp (4 dangly wheels for landing on-board, rather than the Scout's skids).

rej
9th Oct 2005, 21:19
Saw the Wasp on the ASP at DL this pm. It looks pretty smart with the black and yellow tail; not sure if it is still wearing the mil serial of XT435 (with HMS Achilles on the nose) but looking at G-INFO it appears to be G-RIMM (Lyneham Lad, you can find all the details there).

A few years ago my lad, wife and bro-in-law were fortunate to get a flight in a Scout, thanks to a great deal of generosity from the owner, whilst I drew the short straw and had to control them as they flew around the local area. My lad was very lucky and was allowed quite a bit of 'hands on' as well . What a great experience.

Isn't it great to see these old things still flying - I wonder how many of today's Brit mil helicopters will still be flying after 39 years

ProcATCO
9th Oct 2005, 21:50
G-KAWW used to be based at Swansea and owned by a local businessman called Gerald Williams.

Anybody know where it is now and who owns it?

Keep the old kites flying!!!!!!!!! :O :ok: