View Full Version : US Navy 1, US Air Force 0

Gainesy
9th Oct 2005, 11:51
Classic, couldn't happen here. Or could it?:E

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2005/10_06-46/TOP

Point0Five
9th Oct 2005, 11:56
Nice work, quite funny really.

But I mean honestly, couldn't their time be better spent bastardising each other?

monkeybumhead
9th Oct 2005, 12:39
That could start a trend, I mean the 47AD Dakota would look nice in a fetching coat of grey.:E :E :E :E

Or possibly light blue.:ok:

ProfessionalStudent
9th Oct 2005, 13:25
Fan-bloody-tastic!

I could just see that kind of thing being taken in such good humour by our top brass...NOT!:ok:

rej
9th Oct 2005, 13:44
I recall going into work one morning at Wyton to see that the 'tatty ton' had painted the ship's gun outside of 360's HQ in blue and yellow checks. Revenge was not too far away when the skull and crossbones painted on the rubber doors into the ton's HQ were found to be wearing a natty bow tie (I'm pretty sure that it was a nice shade of pink, but not 100% certain).

Pontius Navigator
9th Oct 2005, 14:28
At Cottesmore, in '64, at the disbandment of 10 Sqn the sqn painted 'XV is Bums' on the roof of the Officers' Mess garages over the XV Sqn QRA park.

They were told to paint out the white lettering. They did in BLACK. The roof is NOT black and the lettering could still be made out over 30 years later. It may still be there.

john50uk
9th Oct 2005, 14:39
In Germany in the early 1970s we had one of our Chieftain tanks painted a rather fetching pink colour by a certain scottish RTR unit just up the road from us.

Guard commander having interview without coffee with RSM at 0800 the following morning.

2port
9th Oct 2005, 20:05
The "CXX" on the roof of their sqn building at ISK, became "CXXTS" overnight in the early ninieties I believe?

2P

John Eacott
10th Oct 2005, 00:24
Ah, the great zaps of time :cool: Most of the time you expected to leave another ship/airfield with a souvenir, some were better than others. 809 asked me to take this photo after Lossie left RN hands,

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Lossie%20Wardroom%20small.jpg

Then there was the USMC F4 that was stuck aboard Ark for a fortnight, the boss's aircraft, too: he appreciated the 892 tail scheme all the way back to the US of A!

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/US%20Marine%20Phantom%20RN.jpg

and of course RAAF Pearce left their impression on one of 899's Vixens, once again all the way back to the UK, and the scrap merchant:

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/Vixen%20124%20RAAF.jpg

wessex19
10th Oct 2005, 02:42
Certainly beats the old waking up in your rack in the middle of the quarter deck trick. On ya fellas!!!!

ZK-NSJ
10th Oct 2005, 03:55
i think it was the canadians who painted "WE (HEART) FAGS"
on the underside of a aussie hercules after the aussies made a nuicence of themselves durin a exercise, i dont think it was noticed till the bird got back in aussie either.

JessTheDog
10th Oct 2005, 09:08
I found the Matron's "Ooh Matron" parking slot outside the Mess at Akrotiri highly amusing. Is there a history to this?

Zoom
10th Oct 2005, 11:25
The USAF haven't always taken things so well. During my exchange we aircrew painted sharks' teeth on the jets' noses and they looked terrific - except to the base commander, who ordered them all painted out.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
10th Oct 2005, 11:30
Aussie 36 Sqn Hercs have a black sillouette of the prancing horse on their fins.
http://www.comradesandcolleagues.com/images/crests/36RAAF2.gif
Bullseye '97 at Trenton I nipped up with a red chinagraph and after 10 mins work, it had high heels, fishnet stockings, nipple tassles and lipstick.

They liked it so much they varnished over it.

In the mid seventies, a bunch of Halton Apprentices went over to Whipsnade Zoo and cut a huge knob on the chalk lion.

dmanton300
10th Oct 2005, 16:53
There was a more serious reason behind the F-4B with 899 tail. During it's stay on board ,the Ark docked in the med (Malta I think) and at the time relations between the US and Malta were at a very low ebb, so the tail was painted to make the aircraft look like it's FG.1 brethren from a distance and limit the possibility of a complaint from the Maltese authorities. It's a nice scheme but more than a simple "zap".

Dan Winterland
11th Oct 2005, 03:08
It used to be a regular event that the Cadets at Cranwell used to go down to the RMA at Sandhurst and nick on of the cannons that sit outside the academy to later place it outside College Hall. A flight commander while I was on IOT was keen to resurrect the tradition and several of us where primed to go and do the deed. However, as this was the height of IRA bombing campaign and the RMA was being protected by live armed Ghurkas, we decided against it.

Does anyone older than me remeber nicking a cannon? Apparently, they were usually bought back by train. One such event had the Cranwell cadets wheeling the thing through the streets of London!

c-bert
11th Oct 2005, 07:51
Legend has it that the Harrier at Shrivenham was once painted pink....

Chairborne 09.00hrs
14th Nov 2005, 07:30
'kinell!

Is there a photograph of that anywhere??

Krystal n chips
14th Nov 2005, 13:59
I have a very nice photo--sorry not got a scanner as I have no need for one--of a 17Sqn Jag circa late 70's which had a few days away in Lechfeldt ( sp ? ) and returned to sunny Bruggen bearing the WGAF insignia ! :ok:

However, the driver was not "too impressed" whe he taxied in. Not with the zap, he thought that was great as we all did--but with the flying prevention branch in the Tower, who, when asked by him "What do you think of the new logo then" as he trundled past, replied they could not see anything different--the very large signs being difficult to miss of course!

Regie Mental
14th Nov 2005, 14:29
The USN zapped an 892 Sqn F-4 when one was aboard a US carrier (I forget which) The national insignia on the port intake was changed to the pre-WWII US type, and the Royal Navy title on the aft fuselage was been changed to 'Colonial Navy'.

XWalterDriver
14th Nov 2005, 16:12
I think you will also find that once a small change was made to the lettering on the roof of the Squadron - it looked very fetching.

Fighting Cocks changed into Farting Cooks!

bluetail
14th Nov 2005, 18:37
Does this count, courtesy of those naughty boys from "Treble One" groundcrew. It was done ( and taken) by a very good friend, who recently joined a very select group.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9223/cxi7zz.jpg

FJJP
14th Nov 2005, 19:39
When Wyton ceased to be an op flying base [100, 39 and 51 moved to Lmg/Marham/Wadd], the final D-i-N was legendary. Also, a filing cabinet was placed on the roundabout outside SHQ. When blunties came to move it it wouldn't - a very long spike was welded to the cabinet and set into a very large block of concrete. It took a crane to finally pull the thing out of the ground!

g126
14th Nov 2005, 21:14
Sorry, the link no longer works. What was the original story.

G

Whaaa newark
15th Nov 2005, 06:48
Nice one LXX, but who has paid to put it right?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/greenie773/DSC00120.jpg

Gainesy
15th Nov 2005, 07:55
g126,
US Navy officer cadets re-painted an F-4 gate guard at the USAF Academy as a "Blue Angels" aircraft. I'll try and dig out a pic.

The Helpful Stacker
15th Nov 2005, 08:20
Gainesy - Do you mean like the post that started this thread?

Gainesy
15th Nov 2005, 09:16
Er... yes.
See g126's query.
(Link to original story has timed out).

g126
15th Nov 2005, 10:24
Ha! It must of taken them a bit of time to do that

Thanks.

G