PDA

View Full Version : Europe or Aust

TVLand
8th Oct 2005, 13:56
Having just registered after watching from afar for some time, it's with some trepedation that I offer my first post in the hope that someone has taken a similar gamble and has had it pay off.

My situation is I live in Sydney and am about to turn 34, and want to fly for a living after not having been anywhere near an aircraft since my Australian CPL and M/E Instrument Rating in '98. The advice received here is that G.A. is just about dead and that I'm far too old for the airlines anyway, so I should just stick with my current rock-solid career and get on with it for the next 30 years or so.

Fortunately for me I have fantastic wife who just wants me to be happy, and is supportive of a possible move to Europe in the hope that there is a place for me in the much larger aviation scene. We both have European passports, and my wife is on the home stretch of a law degree, so we'd both look on this as an adventure.

I'm aware of the considerable sacrifices necessary to to convert my hopelessly out date Aussie CPL into a JAR fATPL both financial and otherwise, which leads to the question.....

Is there be anyone out there who has been crazy enough to attempt a move like this at this age and succeed? Or perhaps there are stories out there of things not being so bad in Oz for late starters, with examples of QF taking on guys heading towards their late 30's that aren't necessarily intent on flying the left-hand seat of a 747.

Many thanks in advance!

redsnail
8th Oct 2005, 14:21
Quite a few of us have done so and with varying degrees of success.

Firstly, I wouldn't entirely write off Oz as people are still getting jobs and still moving up to the airlines. You'll have to shift from the city and head up north or north west though if you want to get the career going again. Believe me, that is an adventure in itself. (I lived in the Kimberley for ~5 years)

The biggest catch is explaining why you haven't flown for that period of time. Either move will cost $$ and have the risk that it may not work.

The UK is a different kettle of fish with a much greater risk. I am not sure exactly what your wife can do re her law degree as I don't know if it's a simple conversion to practise law in the UK from Oz quals. You'll have to check that.

Make no joke about it, it is bloody expensive to convert and takes a long time. (ALthough the exchange rate is helping a bit now). Budget about a year to get it all done. (medical, exams, results, flying, paperwork). A year in the UK isn't cheap. I don't know of any low houred Aussies that have come over but all the experienced guys have done ok.

I am glad now I made the move but it was a long time before the bank balance went back into the black. (4 years)

Good luck.

Googlewac
8th Oct 2005, 15:37
Hi TVland

I'm in pretty much the same dilemma as you and after doing literally years of research on the subject I still can't come up with a definitive answer!!

What it comes down to is really examining your own situation and making a decision from that. Remember that aviation is a cyclic industry so (dare I say it) even though things may be good at the moment theres bound be be a down time. If this happens do you have a career to fall back on?

Also have a look at WA aviation college, they're now doing JAA conversions but I'm not sure on cost.

I've got a supportive wife too but sometimes thats worse cause you really dont want to let them down.

TVLand
9th Oct 2005, 02:22
Hey thanks Redsnail and Googlewac for your replys. Strangely enough, I think my wife would rather us take the plunge and give Europe a go than spend 4 or 5 years at the top end.

By all accounts there does seem to be more opportunity over there and particularly up towards Scottland for low houred guys, but as you say Redsnail will need to fork out some serious GBP to be employable. I'm pretty sure I've read fellow ppruners mention they don't know of any guys up there with MCC that are looking for work.

Googlewac, completely know where you're coming from regarding the understanding wife which is fantastic, but at the same time not wanting to let them down and blow a bucket load of cash in the mean time!

Some serious deliberating to be done in the next couple of months I think.

Thanks again.