PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in NZ

EGPE
7th Oct 2005, 16:41
Hi
I am heading to Christchurch next week from scotland. I will be over there for 6 weeks and intend to fly about 70hrs, so i can return home and start CPL etc. Any tips on where has reasonable hire rates, good trips to do etc. I was thinking about Canterbury aero club any feedback on them?

Cheers
Dave

sir.pratt
8th Oct 2005, 02:11
before you blow 10 grand, check with YOUR licensing body as to how the hours can be counted.

there are plenty of clubs in the south island that will be happy to help you out. search on google.co.nz for 'canterbury aero clubs' or similar

climb11thousand
8th Oct 2005, 19:26
Canterbury aero club have some of the best hire rates in the country (i.e about $132 for a pa-28-161) however if the aircraft is not a traumahawk or pa-28-140 you have to book well in advance to get a particular type

flying ginge
8th Oct 2005, 23:41
EGPE,

Canterbury Aviation check them on the web. Plenty of practical experience zooming round the mountains etc. Couple of 172s to hire. Main earner for these guys is Milford Sound and Mount Cook trips. PM me if you want.

FG

zkcub
9th Oct 2005, 07:29
You could also have a look at the Christchurch flying school at Wigram(uncontrolled airport 5mins from town)They have a couple of cherokees & a 172.rates quite good & no problems with having to book too far in advance.PM me for any more info

cheers
Cub

EGPE
10th Oct 2005, 20:52
Cheers lads a few ideas for me to check out there!

flaming_moe
10th Oct 2005, 22:58
...I would'nt say the Canterbury Aero Club are good value for money, at last check they were one of the most expensive. You can save yourself around NZ$40 per hour at the Christchurch Flying School. Although the aero club have later model 161's, the flying school is a great place for hour building. Or if money isnt an issue, Canterbury Aviation have an amazing wealth of knowledge about back country flying around the alps in their all Cessna fleet.
Have Fun!