PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Cranfield Modular ATPL Ground School

november.sierra
7th Oct 2005, 07:22
Apologies in advance, but I could find very little info of relevance using the search function.

I'm about to finish my PPL and have enrolled on a modular ATPL ground school course at Cabair Cranfield for November and have a few queries regarding the course.

I also looked at Oxford (budgeting 26 weeks + exams), so how come Cranfield only budget for 19 weeks? Is this a set time scale and does it mean that consequently, more self study has to be done to get up to speed?

I also noted that Oxford have a 3 week leave period after phase 1, whereas nothing is mentioned by Cranfield (actually not even a Christmas break), so is there no leave period?

It seems there is also a requirement to have 150 hours before commencing the course, which is contrary to what LASORS says. (I definitely won't have them by the start date as I plan to hour build after). Can anyone shed any light on why this might be and how seriously this requirement is taken?

Just generally, what is the amount of self study after class that has to be put in?

In the guidance notes it said that modular students require no uniform and there was no formal dress code, so what does everyone dress like?

Finally, any particular recommendations for accommodation from the official list?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to the replies.

Stpaul
7th Oct 2005, 15:30
Cabair Ground school training is run by a Mr Paul(i need braces) Hardy, an excellent excellent ground instructor, you could do worse but to ring Cabair up and try and speak with him. (But remember these are flying schools, they do not always speak the truth, especially when money is concerned!). I will try and address your points.

1. Entry onto the course; PPL & Class 1 Medical & MONEY!(the 150hrs is the minimum requirement to commence CPL)
2. The course is run over 19 weeks, it is shorter than other courses in timeframe but not in hours so be prepared to put a lot of hard work into a smaller number of weeks. Av day 8.30-5pm and lots of work in the evening & weekends. The course is spilt into 2 (8&6 exams, with no time off inbetween). Its heavy going and could be better, but no one said it was easy! You might prefer a longer course that suits your mode of learning, I mean the longer you get to revise the better the grades!
3. You will get a few days off for Christmas & New Year but this should be used as a revision week if you are sitting exams the 1st week of January.
4. Dress code; Smart casual, no uniform for modular.
5. Its exactly the same course as the integrated (except they have an 8 week break for flying & revision inbetween)and with the same instructors just in a different classroom.
6. The course material is not great, i.e no colour computer grahics etc etc, just old fashioned overhead projector & black/white manuals and hand outs.but made up by the quality of the instructors.
7. Accomodation, try list of B&B in Cranfield, you need to visit them