PDA

View Full Version : Major Security Risk - Melbourne MCG

VMC4ME
7th Oct 2005, 01:24
Sorry for the dramatic topic wording, however I'd love for someone to explain to me how on earth our authorities can get away with putting a 1 mile NOTAM on the MCG for Grand Final day and allow aircraft to come within a mile of the Melbourne Cricket Ground with 90,000? people in there.

In airspace over Melbourne, one could fly straight up the Princess Hwy from Dandenong to Albert Park lake within a mile or two from the MCG, WITHOUT so much as even a radio call because it's class G airspace. Lets just say you were in a Chieftain at 180 knots and the MCG is only a mile or two from the hwy; thus at that speed they would have a minute (yes only ONE minute) to determine that something was amiss with that aircraft. Not a single military aircraft within hundreds of miles bar the unarmed roulettes PC9 trainers on the ground at Point Cook nearby.

I was literally watching the final moments of the Grand Final on the TV's located in the grounds on the grand-stand.

How is this possible when Melbourne has had recent direct terror threats? For fear of saying the wrong thing, I won't go into detail on what type of damage that someone could achieve doing the unspeakable....

NZLeardriver
7th Oct 2005, 01:34
And what sort of damage would this hijacked chieftain do?

Squawk7700
7th Oct 2005, 01:49
Read between the lines... I don't think anyone would like to describe what could happen. I personally can't believe they bother to chase and prosecute people for even the smallest things, yet they seem to completely miss the big picture!

Sykes
7th Oct 2005, 01:56
The Grand Final was almost two weeks ago. Did it take this long for you to think of this?

:rolleyes:

P.S. At 180 knots "a mile or two" is 20 - 40 seconds

VMC4ME
7th Oct 2005, 01:59
Does it matter when it was? Ummmm... no!

It could have been last year, it doesn't really matter.

As for a Chieftain at 180 knots, we all know that's 3 miles a minute. I personally wasn't sure exactly how close the blue line is to the MCG, so I didn't go quoting any exacting figures.

Needless to say that it's "too close for comfort."

No, I did think of this over 2 weeks ago, I just have priorities like real work to do.

Sykes
7th Oct 2005, 02:28
Okay...

Nice to hear that you thought of it BEFORE the Grand final but only bothered to alert us to the "danger" to 90,000 people AFTER the event.

I trust that you DID think to alert various authorities (Police, Airforce, etc) of your concerns before the Grand Final. What did they say back to you?

As for the "Too close for comfort" comment.

OH PLEASE!

But anyhow, if getting panicky and making alarmist postings (that really can only give people more ideas for mayhem) is what turns you on, I wont stop you.

cheers.

Lodown
7th Oct 2005, 04:30
Maybe the relevant authorities weren't thinking about terrrorism threats from the air. You're thinking from a pilot's perspective and their thinking was from a security and crowd control aspect.

Imagine the bunfight overhead with aviation sightseers with no overhead limitations and no procedures. One mile sounds like a decent compromise that allows sight-seeing aircraft to still get a good look without causing congestion directly overhead the stadium.

Additionally, if a situation develops on the ground in the stadium, the last thing you want is emergency/military/police aircraft fighting GA aircraft for egress. Imagine if a lockdown situation occurs and then trying to get rid of aircraft directly over the field. Without the aircraft directly overhead, it's just one less consideration for a spectacular and safe day's event.

It sounds like an appropriate compromise from my uneducated viewpoint.

4SPOOLED
7th Oct 2005, 06:59
At the end of the day, if these groups of extremist's want to find a way, they will.....

It could be a bag on a bus, it could be a fully laden 744 into the harbour bridge, at the end of the day, if they want to do it, they more than likely will.

Unfortunatly this is the world we are living in today, rather than look for flaws or ways these people exploit, why dont you enjoy the view of the MCG from your craft and hope that other people are doing the same:ok:

If your not into that, go play a round of golf and hope those thunder clouds dont come rolling in:cool:

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2005, 08:07
I think you have underestimated the power of the Roulettes!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Sarge/Tomcat.gif