PDA

View Full Version : desert flying suits in the JHC

ossie
6th Oct 2005, 19:40
An old knacker on the sqn is stirring up on the fact the JHC won't give the their crews desert flying suits due to cost grounds!!!!!
I thought we had had enough bad press over kit. From the theatre the buzz word is 'corporate' not flight safety!!!! The guys are particularly hacked off that if you are a steward on the timmy you get one but if you fly SH you've had it!

pigsinspace
6th Oct 2005, 21:18
and very sexy the stewards look as well.

Talking Radalt
6th Oct 2005, 21:29
Desert rompers? Keep 'em thanks.
I feel far more "comfortable" (in more than just physiological terms) wandering round BIA and elsewhere dressed like any other unimportant insignificant pongo.

FB11
6th Oct 2005, 23:29
You really don't want UK desert flying suits. They are 'salmon pink'. I spent one (1) day wearing it during TELIC amongst predominantly American personnel and realised that the UK has managed to provide aircrew with an hilarious 'gay' talking point amongst our coalition brothers.

Stick wth green one, significantly less banter.

The Helpful Stacker
7th Oct 2005, 00:00
I was under the impression that it was better not to wear flying suits out in the Gulf. Something to do with the aircrew blending in with the self loading freight if the cab went tits up and a unplanned landing was called for. At least thats why the AAC crews do it, I was told.

Amateur Aviator
7th Oct 2005, 00:27
This old chestnut! Haven't heard this one for a few months now. The statements so far are correct. Having been out there during the height of the summer, DCC is by far the most comfortable option (IMHO), and the most practical. It's great when you need to blend into the background (relatively so anyway, considering there may be a smoking wreck in the postcode). As for the corporate side of things, I think I know what is meant having spoken recently to some returnees. Without wanting to go for a self-hack interview without biscuits, its all about creating a bugg3ration factor for as many people as possible by creating wacky rules.

BUT, and this is the controvertial point- DCC goes up like a petrol soaked rag. Ask CAM Henlow to see the burning man trial results, and you'll see the advantage that desert gro-bags provide (fire retardency and flash fire protection is the answer). JHC are happy to risk front line, overstretched (yep, that's right, I'm fishing for Southside :ok: ) aircrew for the while by not getting us the dessie rompers.

I have the trial Non Fast-Jet Flying Clothing (fire retardent DPM), which is good as it does what it says on the tin. When the trial is over and the mods have been made, it will go into production in desert colours for use straight away. Not sure on the timescale of this though, I'm not sure which decade, let alone year. When the improvements are made, and I'm fairly sure that the tank drivers et al will want a copy as well, especially after the events in downtown Basrah in the past few weeks.

Time, as ever, will tell.

AA

BEagle
7th Oct 2005, 06:26
"When the trial is over and the mods have been made, it will go into production in desert colours for use straight away." That'll be a sure sign that Bliar will then send you all off to some diamond-protecting mini-war in the jungle again...

Amateur Aviator
7th Oct 2005, 09:15
BEags,

I didn't know you had a crystal ball! Have you got a stock number for it so I can get one myself?

AA

Huron Topp
7th Oct 2005, 12:03
Seems your contractors are either colour blind or received a discount on pastel dyes. "Salmon pink" for desert, and weren't the original MK16s turquoise, as opposed to sage/OG?:{ :E

Talking Radalt
7th Oct 2005, 14:18
BUT, and this is the controvertial point- DCC goes up like a petrol soaked rag
Whoops. Can open, worms everywhere, go!
So what about Warrior crews who "might" be subjected to petrol bombings? THEY still wear "Desert PJs; Extremely Flammable, Squaddie; for the use of; x1"
Are we somehow more valuable? :confused:

(Cue: Torrent of obvious replies)

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Oct 2005, 14:55
You're welcome to borrow some Aussie ones. They are great. You don't need to use a camel back; you can fill the pockets with water and they won't leak a drop! That's how well they breath in the heat. :{ <--- That's sweat and not tears :ugh:

heights good
13th Oct 2005, 11:43
Being a Puma man fire retardancy is a subject that is close to most puma crews hearts. Even when i was in hot places i always wore at least 2 layers of clothing even in a 45degree heat. If i could have got my hands on a desert flying suit i would have, reason being, massive difference in survival in a flying suit.

Follow the link at the bottom for the differences, these tests are not on flying suits but the clothing on the left is nomex (same as a fying suit) and the clothing on the right is not (read CS95.) Although this is not testing exactly what we wear, the videos are very similar to the results of when our clothing was tested. Bear with it, it takes a few mins too load

http://www.reliablesafetysupply.com/Protect%20Cloth%20Nasco%20Petro.htm

The Swinging Monkey
13th Oct 2005, 14:21
I remember the Falklands war (flying Nimrods), when we were all stuck in tents at Widawake airfield, Ascension. Major point at the washup: 'Sir, we need hot wx flying suits, these are no good in hot wx'
Reply: OK Monkey, we will look into that.

Gulf War 1 (NATO AWACS). Major washup point: 'Sir, we desperately need hot wx flying suits, its 'kin hot in these!'
Reply: 'Yes Monkey, youre right, it is damned hot! we will see what we can do'

Bosnia (RAF AWACS) Continuing washup points post deplyment: 'Sir, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEase can we have some of them Gucci Desert flying suits,'cos its bleeding hot out here in Aviano?'
Reply: 'Listen Monkey, we know its hot and we are working on it, now stop moaning!' - (Oops, sorry Sir!)

Kosova (Still AWACS) Still hot in Aviano, same moan, same reply

Afghanistan War (Yep, still AWACS) During a visit by the head of RAF flight safety team, a very big hairy-arsed Master AEOp says to the boss man:

'Sir, during the Falklands war, we were promised hot climate flying suits. We were promised them again during GW1, Bosnia and Kosova. Can you please explain to us why we are all sat in this tent, sweating our Knacker$ off please'

Can you guess what the reply was?? Yes, it was the following:
'We know its hot and uncomfortable in green flying suits, and we are doing all we can to rectify things and get some desert flying suits'

The word bollocks springs to mind. And lets face it, after todays comments by the select committee about the MOD procurement of kit for people, what can we expect. Yes, there now are some at Waddo, and we now sign them out, one each only, if and when we go to sunny climes'

The fact is, unless you are a lumpy jumper, OC supply, OC Admin, a movements clerk or some VIP, you aint gonner get one!!!

I found the best thing was to cut off the sleeves just under the arms!!

Kind regards
TSM

Stitchbitch
14th Oct 2005, 23:36
The CAM burn test stuff is food for thought, however certain SH guys found out about DCC fire retardancy whilst brewing up @ Safwan ...

Two thoughts

1.If you were to land sausageside and 1 of the crew was in a flying suit, 1 in DCC, who would be more likely to be off'ed?

2.With cotton underwear (longjohns) on would the burn effect of DDC be reduced to allow extra 'escape' time before being incapacitated?

regards
stitch

Mr Wippy
15th Oct 2005, 07:12
The C17 USAF flying suits currently available to RAF C17 crews on 99 Sqn are very good. Better than the RAF crap.

comedyjock
15th Oct 2005, 11:47
I know of a trial taking place in a secret Somerset base of fire retardant CS95. Although slightly heavier than normal stuff it should become available in Desert Cam. If operating in warmer climates probably best thing to wear and take a camel back.