PDA

View Full Version : CPL ME/IR whilst still at work

Grass strip basher
6th Oct 2005, 13:02
In order to minimise the financial impact of training to get into the aviation game I am considering staying in full time employment whilst doing my CPL ME/IR.

This of course would involve training during evenings and at weekends + of course the occasional two weeks holiday ahead of test dates etc.

I am just curious to know if anyone has done this and whether it is possible or just completely impractical??

Just desparate to avoid a long period without any income.

Thanks for any insights you can give:)

Megaton
6th Oct 2005, 13:15
It's probably not impossible but it will be difficult. Continuity would be the main issue, I think, especially during the IR. Don't think the CPL would be quite as problematic. CHances are that you would probably require more hours than the minimum due to the need to refresh previous lessons or work on weak points. Superficially, it might be attractive but, from a trg perspective, saving up the money and then taking unpaid leave, if you can, might save you more money in the long run.

I did CPL in a 3 week chunk one year and the IR over similar period in the following year which worked for me.

Number Cruncher
6th Oct 2005, 13:15
No doubt possible, but it will make your life difficult.

The main problem is, with five days off between lessons its so easy to forget what you learnt last time, the exaggerated pre-take off checks for example!!!! You'll find yourself trying to remember these things on your next lesson, which will probably lead to going well over the minimum hours and ultimately, may well lead to you struggling for first time passes.

This is all going to cost you time and money. Also, if you're doing all this over the winter you're probably going to miss loads of lessons through weather and this will give you a real headache.

I was strongly considering doing what you're proposing, but glad I didn't. Two of us started CPL on the same day. Me full time, him weekends. By the time I finished I think he had accumulated about 5 or 6 hours!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hufty
6th Oct 2005, 14:20
Echo all the above. There is no substitute for flying every day if you can and devoting 100% of your attention to it. You really need to fly during the day then go back over the lesson in the evening and review what went well, what could have been done better then make your preparations for the following day. You can learn a lot just sitting on the ground or sitting in an aeroplane, so the more of your day you devote to it the better. All it takes is a partial or a fail and you've just eaten up some of the money you've saved!

Good luck.

Hufty.

642vgs
6th Oct 2005, 15:29
I did my CPL a couple of years ago while still in full time work. My shift system at work was 4 on 4 off so there was plenty of oportunity to fly regularly. I did the 28 hour twin CPL and overran by a couple of hours. I also partialed the test but re took it the next day and passed. The point I would make is that it isn't only the frequency that you fly that can be an issue. You should also be aware of the stress that will accumulate in doing your full time job with one eye on the weather and the other on cheque book! I know at times I felt maxed out.

I am about to start the IR now and have decided to take 6 weeks leave to do it. Non-the-less I know the stress levels will build up again as the money runs out and days are lost to the weather.

Still, it could be worse, I could have kids!

parris50
6th Oct 2005, 21:42
I did all mine whilst holding down a full time job. It's definitely possible but you will have to make sacrifices and be prepared to work hard.

Good luck!

Cutoff
7th Oct 2005, 11:00
I did all my training whilst in full time employment, yes you have to give up some weekends etc, do some of the sim work in the evenings, but very possible. I did mine at Bonus at Cranfield and they were very accomodating for me the true part timer!!