PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating/Followed by Job offer

rziola
6th Oct 2005, 08:05
Good day Chaps,

Was recently reading a discussion about the instructors rating and while the positive and negative have all been discussed, I was wondering whether there are an flight school’s out there would offer you a job on completion of the course ?

Now, before everyone screams murder, I am not trying to buy my way into a job, just thought it is worth asking, as there are similar schemes in the IT Industry etc.
Any suggestions welcome

Also, what is the basic profile of a Instructor simply wanting to build hours etc

tacpot
6th Oct 2005, 09:01
Whatho!

You mean the flight school where you did your FI course offering you a job, as part of a package deal?

Well, if they've got a vacancy and can afford to wait for you to complete the course, I can't see why not. Or if they know an instructor is shortly going to be leaving, they might. But I can't see that they would if there was no obvious opening. If they did, I'd be very suspicious.

And here is the profile of the hours building instructor you asked for.

http://members.limitless.org/~suricata/meerka17.jpg

Cure, isn't he!

rziola
6th Oct 2005, 12:41
Now that is funny....

moggiee
6th Oct 2005, 23:53
We only employ instructors we trained - but it does not mean that we employ ALL of the instructors we train!

rziola
7th Oct 2005, 07:25
Thanks for that honest reply. Was just wondering whether it is worth doing the rating, seems a lot of money....but the hours would be great

moggiee
7th Oct 2005, 22:15
The reason we only employ people we train is quality control - we have a good reputation and this way we ensure that we get good people. We get a chance to "vet" them on the course.

GusHoneybun
8th Oct 2005, 12:01
As said, some schools employ 'their own' as they are a known quantity. these are invariably the larger modular schools. however, you maybe the best instructor since sliced bread, but if there isn't a job for you not much you can do about it.
there are plenty of other schools out there and if you're prepared to travel a bit you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work.
one of the bad things about working for one of these large-ish schools is that it take quite a while to build up a student base and you can spend a few months scraping by on trail flights. my first job was at a wee school oop norf and it was only me and the CFI. as a result all the existing students were mine to teach from day one. makes paying the bills a bit easier.

the rating may seem a lot of money, but ask yourself how much flying six grand will buy you and how much flying you will do as an instructor. suddenly it doesn't seem that expensive anymore.