PDA

View Full Version : A simple internet hosting question

Onan the Clumsy
5th Oct 2005, 15:40
Sorry but I couldn't think of a better subj.

I have quite a few docs and spreadsheets that I use and i also have a web site.

If I store the docs and spreadsheets up on my website, it looks as if Yahoo (my host) will do all the .htaccess stuff under the covers to protect them, but my question is this...

Can I actually use them from the web site as docs and spreadsheets? It looks as if I can. It looks as if Excel runs within the browser.

That would be very useful for me. Can anyone think of any problems. I have to admit I didn't check to see where it stores the spreadsheet once you hit save.

ExGrunt
6th Oct 2005, 08:21
Onan,

If the data is sensitive you might want to use a SSL connnection through https, if it is available on your webserver, so that the data is encrypted while it shuttles back and forth between your PC and the server.

EG

newswatcher
6th Oct 2005, 08:29
Onan, what sort of volumes are you talking about? Is this "free" web space? If not, wouldn't it be better to increase your local storage capability, now that space is relatively cheap? Perhaps an opportunity to build in more resilience, extra drive etc.

IMHO main reason for using web space, is to share with others.

Are these files important to you? Remember they will be unavailable in the "rare" event that you have problems connecting with your ISP!

Onan the Clumsy
6th Oct 2005, 12:22
Good points.

2 types of files and nothing very large.

1) blank leases and inspection forms etc. No sensitive info and the idea is just to make them available to me anywhere and where I don't need to back them up.

2) spreadsheets tracking the tanants' payments etc. That would be sensitive, though there isn't any information to identify the actual people. I'd do it just so the files were available and I can look at them anytime anywhere anyplace as the saying goes.

The docs part seems to work ok. They're word tamplates and forms, I fill 'em in and they get saved locally.

The spreadsheets aren't quite there yet. I hit save then give the url for the file name. It says "connecting to web server", asks for the logon info but then says it couldn't find the url :(

newswatcher
6th Oct 2005, 15:08
:hmm: depends how often you would need remote access. I take my USB stick around with files of this nature on it, but then I could lose it...........:{

Looking at the access issues, but sure someone will beat me to it!