PDA

View Full Version : Airfix turning away from WWII models ?

Bre901
5th Oct 2005, 09:15
Not quite, but they want to "head 2,400 years into future"

More on The Beeb website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4309408.stm) Despite the changes, Airfix has reassured fans of its more time-honoured models that the fighting machines of World War II will remain a key part of its business.

Reminds me I still have a 1/24 Spit MkI and an 1/72 ASK13 sitting in their boxes ...

Molesworth Hold
5th Oct 2005, 10:00
Airfix have always endeavoured to spread their appeal with various products over the years, this is just the latest.

A good Airfix site.
http://www.djairfix.freeserve.co.uk/kits.htm

As someone of Gallic leanings you may be interested to know that Heller was the subject of a management buyout and is no longer part of the Humbrol group that owns Airfix.

Maude Charlee
5th Oct 2005, 10:46
'Fiddly' model kits?

I don't think so. Always loved building model kits, and it's still probably the only proper hobby I had as a kid. Still, glad to see that at least they are prepared to move with the times and do something to ensure their long term survival. Far too many businesses go bust by their grim determination to stick to outdates products and practices either as a result of pride or lack of imagination.

Not built a kit for maybe 15 years now, but I do still have a box in storage with some virgin kits for completion one day. Wonder how many of the little tins of enamel will still be useable? ;)

teeteringhead
5th Oct 2005, 12:20
Gosh Airfix models ... that's a blast from the past. I remember making loads when they came in poly bags for 1/11d (about 10p!), for the smaller 1:72 scale models like Spit, Hurri, Stuka, Zer0, Me109 etc etc......

But ISTR then that the transfers/decals carried no swastikas for the German ones (Only "Iron Crosses"), something to do with export sales to Germany?? Is this still the case?

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 13:20
The Series 1 kits were 2/-! And Airfix cement was an extra 4d (or Humbrol 77 for 6d).

First one we ever had was a Me 109 from the House of Hobbies in Taunton, circa 1958. And it didn't have swastikas, something to do with the display of the emblem still being illegal?

OK - who didn't ever fill in one of those 'Nature of Complaint' slips and send it off to Haldane Place in order to get some more machine guns etc for your modified aeroplane! There must have been some very benevolent people sending bits and pieces off to eager schoolboys in the 50s and 60s!

So much more fun than s*dding Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Spodman
5th Oct 2005, 15:15
Gee, they got swastikas when I was a kid. Had a burst of energy a couple of years ago and made a bunch of Star Trek/Wars models, but haven't picked up a pot of cement for a while now. And the kids have been in the paint.

Got a Hurri II I'll do one day, there's a spot in the case next to a Spitfire!

Bre901
5th Oct 2005, 21:43
who didn't ever fill in one of those 'Nature of Complaint' slips and send it off to Haldane Place Reminds me that it was probably the first thing I wrote in English (outside school, that is), as the wings of my B17 were warped beyond repair. They did send a spare pair of B17 wings to Froggystan :ok: :ok: :ok:

Saab Dastard
5th Oct 2005, 22:18
I adored making models when I was in school - after Uni I graduated to making real buildings!

I still have a complete set of unmade 1:24 WW2 Aircraft kits (2 x Spit, Hurri, Mustang, Me109, FW 190 & Stuka) put away for something to do in my dotage... as long as the eyesight is still up to it!

I could never afford them as a lad - now I haven't the time!

As I recall, Airfix 1/72 scale models of almost anything were poor in comparison to similar offerings from the likes of ESCI, Hasegawa, Revell, Monogram, Fujimi - even Matchbox! But they were better than Frog!

Happy days :D

treadigraph
6th Oct 2005, 05:42
I've recently been collecting 1/48th scale kits, as Saab Dastard says, something to do in my dotage. I had ignored Airfix, but a mate tells me that their more recent offerings are really excellent, and up to the standards set by Tamiya et al.

Did you know that the name "Airfix" stems from the company's original business of making combs. Heard that in a pub quiz (we got the answer wrong), so it must true!

Gainesy
6th Oct 2005, 09:49
More triv, the editor of Airfix Magazine was later the ed of Recognition Journal, Barry something?

My first kit was the Spitfire which cost 1/6d I think. Twas painted a garish emerald green and royal blue.:yuk: which as a 6-year old looked quite er... dunno.

USE THE RUDDERS
6th Oct 2005, 10:56
This thread brings back some good memories.

I was bored a couple of months back and decided to look in my attic and found some old kits that had been kicking around for about 15 years and felt the urge to make an old Heller Constellation that had been given to me many years before.

Used to have loads of Airfix kits as a kid but over the years they ended up in the bin or smashed up by myself in a fit of rage when something went wrong while making them!I now find that my patience is more tolerable the older I get.

Was never really a fan of Airfix the older I got as I found the quality and detail lacking as opposed to the likes of Monogram, Hasegewea, Tamiya, Fujmi and Italeri.
Now prefer 1/48 scale now as opposed to the tiny 1/72 which are more fiddly the older you get.

You can pick some good bargins on ebay quite a bit cheaper than in the shops.

MReyn24050
6th Oct 2005, 12:22
"This thread brings back some good memories."

It certainly does. In the late 50's I was employed as a trainee draughtsman with a design company based in Cranleigh Surrey. The nature of the work was designing modifications, repair schemes etc for all types of commercial aircraft from Tri-Pacers to Constellations. All members of the staff were keen aviation enthusiasts. All new production Airfix Kits in those days were first stocked by Woolworth's Stores and new issues were always eagerly awaited. Whenever a new model was issued there would be a race within the office to see who could bring in the new model in a finished condition. However, one could be assured that it would be subject to serious inspection and criticism regarding the accuracy of the model, its markings and the skill of the modeller. For a young trainee this could be very daunting and with apologies to Air Clues "I learnt about 'modelling' from that…"

shack
7th Oct 2005, 08:50
There used to be a vertically limited siggie on the Squadron who we thought was a test pilot for Airfix.

jumpseater
7th Oct 2005, 12:12
One nearly finished
http://greengoscale.fotopic.net/p18218106.html
Tamiya 1/48th Beaufighter

Having built a few kits over the years, of late Airfix has started to bring the quality of their releases up to the standard of some of the Japanese kits, which is nice. keeps me off the streets at night and sometimes in beer money too!

Free cyber pint to who can spot the deliberate error! I only found out about it after painting and cant be bothered to fix it!

treadigraph
7th Oct 2005, 12:53
Funny thing: I've just ordered the Airfix 1/48 Seafire III/Spitfire V - you get the best part of two kits and can get an after-market (and more expensive) kit to make up the mising bits to complete the Seafire as a 17.

I believe same applies to their Seafire 47 and Mossie PR.XVI/B.XVI which contains two fuselages, two sets of wings and virtually everything else you need to build both, bar cockpit, u/c and props.

Why don't they just add a few more parts and sell you two complete kits in the same box? Odd...

Archimedes
7th Oct 2005, 13:29
Not sure whether this will be of interest to anyone, but I am led to believe that Airfix are going to be releasing a kit of the TSR2 in the next couple of months....

USE THE RUDDERS
7th Oct 2005, 13:35
Jumpseater,
Excellent model, without sounding like an anorak what airbush did you use if any?

Gainesy
7th Oct 2005, 13:44
Archimedes,
Yep, in the "Autumn" which is er, now.http://www.airfix.com/frame_set.htm

treadigraph
7th Oct 2005, 14:39
See their Spitfire IX is nearly ready as well... That was due in the "Summer" - perhaps they are working to Antipodean seasons...!

jumpseater
7th Oct 2005, 17:01
UTR
its not airbrushed, I've used Tamiya acrylic spray paints. The feathering is by using blue tack in a small diamter roll, and then joined with masking tape. When I do airbrush I use a Badger-200 single action, with a compressor.

BEagle
7th Oct 2005, 19:53
You forgot the landing light?

e-Hookie, please!

Photo
8th Oct 2005, 00:21
You left a Train:yuk: in the background. :E

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 05:57
Beags is closest so far, its air frame specific is the clue!

Oi photo! some of my bestest frends are traynes! (gets coat...)

BEagle
8th Oct 2005, 08:08
Radar antennae?

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 08:29
Nup, its not a bit I haven't put on yet like aerials etc, Its an Airframe item, well a pair of them! and the kit manufacturer got them wrong, and it was a long time before anyone spotted it in the modelling fraternity.

Gainesy
8th Oct 2005, 11:59
DF & radio antennae?

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 12:10
Nup, airframe, think wings and things, (js gets coat ready in case of hasty exit requirement...)

It should be finished this week by the way, then its a P47/Lancaster/Typhoon(WWII)/A7e/UK F86 to be done amongst the toy train commissions. What do prooners want to see next off the bench then?

treadigraph
8th Oct 2005, 12:16
Something daft like the tailplanes are upside down?

Photo
8th Oct 2005, 12:35
Engine Exhaust or Missile Racks?

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 12:59
Treadi has the correct components and something is indeed upside down, but its not the tailplanes themselves!

BEagle
8th Oct 2005, 13:18
Elevator tab linkages are incorrect - they should be on the lower side of the tailplane.

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 14:39
Beags wins 2 pints of Hookie then!

Gainesy
8th Oct 2005, 15:20
What is that stub on the port wingtip?

jumpseater
8th Oct 2005, 15:54
Gainsy, thats where I haven't fitted the nav lights yet!

BEagle
8th Oct 2005, 18:09
"What do prooners want to see next off the bench then?"

An Airfix TSR2 in 35 Sqn colours as it should have been in the mid-70s (dark green/grey wrap around camouflage) if the aircraft hadn't been killed off by Mountbottom, Wislon and the rest.....:mad:

Molesworth Hold
8th Oct 2005, 18:25
TSR 2 "what if" schemes to go with the new Airfix model.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=X72059

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=X72060

Photo
8th Oct 2005, 18:28
There are pictures of the TSR.2 and the new Spitfire models on the Airfix website.

BEagle
8th Oct 2005, 19:49
Some of those markings are just plain daft. Such as the Air Support Command two-shades-of-$hit and ETPS schemes....

Onan the Clumsy
9th Oct 2005, 15:02
the props turn backwards.

oh wait a minute, I see that competition is closed now :(

jumpseater
10th Oct 2005, 19:49
Its finished,

http://greengoscale.fotopic.net/p21344572.html

http://greengoscale.fotopic.net/p21344575.html

TSR2 eh Beags? got to admit the wrap round F4 style grey-green scheme sounds appealing...

BEagle
10th Oct 2005, 20:00
I don't think we ever had wrap around green/grey on the F4? The best a/c to copy would be the mini-TSR2 - the Jaguar - in wrap around green/grey.

jumpseater
10th Oct 2005, 20:11
You're quite right!, must put the lid back on the thinners:uhoh:

BEagle
10th Oct 2005, 21:27
....forgot to say - nice looking Beau'! You must be very pleased with your efforts!

treadigraph
10th Oct 2005, 21:46
I wish I could do so well. I have acquired a vast fleet of some 70 1/48th kits in recent months, sort of combination TFC/Shuttleworth/CAF/Whatever grabs my attention/Floatplanes selection, which spans from Cosmic Wind to B-29 and dates from SE-5A to Cessna 172. Suffice to say they are all prop driven: originally it was favourite WWII-era fighters, but I've expanded rapidly, some might say irrationally. Currently working on a Sea Fury and Harvard... Hmmmm... Could do better!

Cessna 172? Most memorable bit of flying for me was in the ultra-smooth lee of a storm down Chicago Lakefront in a 172 four years ago. Trips in a J-3 floatplane (got one of those) Waco UPF-7, Stinson Junior, Convair 440, Dragon Rapide (I'm sure I'll acquire Aeroclub's effort soon) were fantastic, but that flight was perfection, as in my limited experience I finally got trim sorted out and could enjoy flying the aeroplane and watching the view slide by.

I don't need any excuses for the rest, partuclarly the Grumman F?Fs and especially the Goose... Ahhhh. But I am going to buy James's 1/144 Mars.

jumpseater
11th Oct 2005, 20:55
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau6.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau3.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau10.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau8.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/beau2.jpg

Little Blue
11th Oct 2005, 23:54
Bloody hell..... Mine never looked owt like that...
I can only see a bit of glue stain on those wings....On mine, it was like another skin !
Always remember feeling really clever the 1st time I managed to put "bullet holes" thru' the fuselage with a red hot needle.
Onto a more nautical theme, did anyone here ever FINISH HMS Victory? It was ongoing, with me, for about 4 years and I still never got the masts up.
Favourite model, ever, was the Wellington MK1. Don't know, but was probably the last one the I broke.
Wish my son would take an interest. Maybe if Airfix started to model WWE wrestlers?!
;)

jumpseater
12th Oct 2005, 00:25
Glue stain?, if you mean around the wing root, and the Nav's position, thats silver paint to represent wear and tear, looks better in the flesh though!

Onan the Clumsy
13th Oct 2005, 00:19
Glue Stain :}

Personally, I'd knock of marks for those smudgey lines on the upper surface of the wings :E

Always remember feeling really clever the 1st time I managed to put "bullet holes" thru' the fuselage with a red hot needle Did you try grinding most of the plastic away from behind and then breaking through from the outside. That made good cannon shell damage :8

Best of all though was to fill them with plastacine :ok: it made 'em feel very heavy and solid. Kvality; that's vot it schpoke off.

Kevin O'Neill
13th Oct 2005, 16:19
What wonderful memories!

In the 60's I used to go to Woolies and pick one of the 'plastic bag' models every few weeks if I could afford them.

I've still got a few made-up models stored in the Garage roof!

A General Electric F16 in 70's Testing/Sales colours complete with its spare engine (in transport stand) and Tractor & Towbar; and a Bucc, quite well hand painted - but not to the Beau's standards - to RAF detail markings for spine vents and walkways, etc. (Still got the pages ripped from a Vol 1 somewhere!). And a Pre-WW2 Dennis Fire Engine? There's some other stuff too but I can't remember them all now.

I remember too 'Sinking the Turpitz', in the Garden Pond, as a kid - a Banger mounted in a central position under a loosened Main Deck worked quite well!

Onan the Clumsy
14th Oct 2005, 03:14
I made a spit once - out of balsa.

Solid Scale Modelling. That's Northern pluck for you.

we had to eat it later though :(

BEagle
14th Oct 2005, 07:52
Luxury...............

Us'd 'av t' burn 't booger t' keep us warm in 't winter - an' nobbut' gravel from 't road 't eat! If we were lucky....

All my Airfix models are now long since departed - I only have a Matchbox 1/72 Hunter FGA9 and an Italeri F-19 left!

treadigraph
14th Oct 2005, 08:02
We usta 'ave ter live in our Balsa Spitfire... with half t' tissue missing an' only a pair of dad's old braces ter keep t' prop on...

Halcyon Days
14th Oct 2005, 08:34
As a kid when my old models used to get a bit knocked about, I would finally finish their days by stringing them up with cotton from an apple tree in my back garden (the stronger the wind the better) and shoot them with my air rifle. Only the German ones of course!

PPRuNe Towers
15th Oct 2005, 08:54
Hi Jumpseater,

I suspect you've temped a few into having a go again so how about a few tips on the transition from schoolboy glue it together, insert banger and throw it out of bedroom level to going to the darkside. Flowback dirt/exhaust and the panel lines for instance.

Oh, and for Onan the tricky subject of Mum's breadknife and the art of compound curves could reawaken a whole new world;) ;)

For downroute modelling ( oooer missus ) there's a bloke in Liverpool who does IKEA style flat packs. Inkjet + card basic structure plus resin, etched brass props/fitting Etc. His Avro 504 and Dragon Rapide are astounding. Others do download and print pdf files on a variety of sites.

Regards
rob

PS Very keen to hear from anyone from with a contact in brass photoetching. I have a constant need for rigging plates in various larger scales. I'm one of the saddo's who builds open structure Edwardian and WW1 aircraft - I blame that W.E. Johns myself. I'm more your bleaching and woodstain rather than Humbrol type :8 :8

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/e-w/E-FK-DR1.htm

GrumpyOldFart
15th Oct 2005, 19:57
Errrm... wot's the green thingy on the port wingtip?

...and the red thing on the starb'd side?

:uhoh:

Noah Zark.
15th Oct 2005, 21:07
I used to make dozens & dozens of plastic aeroplanes. Airfix, Revell, Monogram, Frog, et al. I derived countless hours of pleasure from building and painting my own private airforce.
Then I joined I.P.M.S. The International Plastic Modellers Society. And that changed everything. The amount of detail they put into any model is just phenomenal.
I don't know if it is (or was, now talking 25-ish years ago) so in every branch but in my local group it was de rigueur to modify a kit as you built it. It was never acceptable to build a kit "as is", straight from the pack.
They used to have a " Model a Month" competition, where it was the done thing to bring a newly finished model to each monthly meeting. This was then judged by a different member each week as to the merits or otherwise of your offering.
How some of the guys had time to put in the effort required and do normal things besides I will never know. Also, it wouldn't "do" if the kit was pristine. It always had to have wear / accident / battle damage on it. I always used to argue that every aircraft was new once, and it must have looked something like that. (Whichever masterpiece I had offered!)
But how do you beat the guy who has brought a 1/72 Gladiator, with all the interwing wire rigging (made from stretched sprue), or a 1/72 Spitfire, with all the gun barrels and exhausts drilled out? All Airbrushed with camo, or whatever paint scheme?
It got to the stage where I lost pleasure in making a model that ended up looking something like what it was supposed to be, with the odd splodge of glue here and there.
If it wasn't utterly perfect, it wasn't good enough any more. And so I stopped making them.
What a pity. I still occasionally walk past a model shop and see something new and think " I'll get that, and make it when I retire or win the lottery!. And I do. i've still got dozens of unmade kits, from eons ago, all over the place.
Will I ever get back to making them? Who knows.
But let me say this. I no way at all is this post meant to have a go at I.P.M.S.
If ever you find out where they may be holding an exhibition, (often at airshows) do go and have a look at the craftsmenship that goes into their models. I'm sure you will be very impressed.

BEagle
15th Oct 2005, 21:27
Ooops - you're right, Jerry! The nav lights are on the wrong sides!

Easy to remember - red port wine! Or 'The Reds are on the left wing'.

Saab Dastard
15th Oct 2005, 21:36
jumpseater's colour blind,

nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!

Sorry, get a grip.

On a more serious level, it's a NF (given the antennae), so where's the black paint?

SD

Onan the Clumsy
16th Oct 2005, 02:21
I reckon he's a Muslim and did it on purpose. (only Allah can create something perfect, so every rug, piece of tiling etc etc has a purposeful flaw built into it. It can be fun to find it too )

jumpseater
16th Oct 2005, 21:48
Yup I've cocked them up! I looked at a colour picture of the underneath of a beau hence green on left wing and red on right! I double checked to make sure I'd got it right, only thing was it never dawned on me that i was dozily copying the underside, when you turn it the right way round as the sensible ones have spotted, it throws 'light' on my error! Thanks for pointing it out:{ I think I can get em off and swap them!

SD it is indeed a NF from 96 Sqdn 1943 Banff I think, not all were painted black, mosquito's had a similar variation.

NZ the IPMS is indeed a good organisation but I like you have found some individuals in it need to get out a bit more often. Like any society they have the hard core element as well as the more genteel members! I too am not a member!

Mr Towers, I also work with trains on the modelling side, so I can certainly get you sorted with photo etch contacts, I'll wizz you a PM in due course. As far as tips go I can put together a quick how to do it, illustrated as I put one together. It'd be an occaisional update to this thread if anyones interested! If anyone has a specific query I'm happy to answer them, either PM or on forum if i know the answer. For example panel lines is done with a wash of black ink. The ink is so thin the capilary action runs it along the panel lines already engraved in the kit. Any excess has to be wiped away immediately so I work on a few panels at a time. The exhaust and smoke stains are from artists pastills (Windsor and Newton) ground up into a fine powder and applied with a fine brush along the natural slipstream line of the airframe. I always try to find a photo to use as generic info for that sort of detail. Some types had very specific weathering patterns P51 exhaust stains being a good example. With todays pristine flying examples you simply dont get to see that effect, so historical pictures are essential.

I too won many a Battle of Britain dog fight armed with nothing more than a 2/- Spitfire or Hurricane. Being a 60's kid I actually saw some of the BoB filming overhead mid Herts from our school playground. For extra authenticity some models were set on fire and we inhaled the glorius acrid black plastic smoke. Mum never found out why me and my best friend occaisionally looked very green round the gills having been playing with our planes. She probably thought it was the 'G' forces or summat!

Trumpet_trousers
17th Oct 2005, 09:19
ah, but surely the nav lights are in keeping with the upside down tailplane thingy-majigs? non?

jumpseater
22nd Oct 2005, 20:25
The Me410 the german Mosquito, 1/48th scale model as it comes from the box.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/48thair/IMG_5867.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/48thair/IMG_5863.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/48thair/IMG_5857.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/48thair/IMG_5856.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/48thair/IMG_5868.jpg

ps Mr Towers haven't forgotten the etch stuff!

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Oct 2005, 03:42
The models I made in my youth always turned out like that...in my mind at least, though unfortunately not in reality.

Great work :ok:

treadigraph
23rd Oct 2005, 21:45
I give up, I can never match that! Anyone want to buy 70+ 1/48th unmade plastic kits?

No, Treadders, perseverence...

Onan the Clumsy
24th Oct 2005, 00:28
He even got the footprints of the Dutch ground crew on the engine cowlings :ok:

amazing!

forget
30th Oct 2005, 10:01
I stumbled across this - an F-15 cockpit before it goes into the 1-32 model. Unbelievable!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/6677.jpg

See the rest at

http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Gal4/3001-3100/Gal3071_F-15_Tsang/gal3071.htm

Noah Zark.
30th Oct 2005, 11:45
That is stunning. A long time ago, I set about a cockpit interior for a 1/32 scale F-4. I modified the kit to the extent that the instrument panels were illuminated via a bunch of optic fibres, and having completed that, never touched the kit again! I think I suffered "Over-the-top detail burn-out"!
Threw said kit away years later. (Which is now years ago!) :{

jumpseater
30th Oct 2005, 20:41
Yup I can belive it! I'm working on a Hawker Typhoon at the moment, the add on kit I'm using has individual insturments and panels in 1/48th scale.

I probably need to get out a bit more........

Ps treadders, the main secret is not rushing things, if it gets to the 'too difficult' stage, just walk away from it for a day or two, frustration leads to cock ups being magnified, its easy enuf to make them when the pressures off, see lights....:uhoh:

treadigraph
1st Nov 2005, 12:06
This bloke likes his detail - and it's 1/72nd!

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/ac130hjv_1.htm

Peter Barron
1st Nov 2005, 14:16
Here is a model that my Dad made.

Its the Monogram 1/48 DC-3 kit, but he wanted it to look like the real thing in polished metal.
He cut every panel out of thin aluminium and covered the model, anything with curves like the engine cowls, nose etc he had to make up his own tools to get the right shape out of the aluminium sheet, it took him over 6 months to make.

Peter

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/GEMINAIR1/dc3.jpg

Peter Barron
1st Nov 2005, 17:55
Thanks Mike, very nice of you to say so.

Peter.

treadigraph
1st Nov 2005, 18:04
Wow! I have the Monogram DC-3 in the pile (and a C-47 too) - if only I can do half as well!

jumpseater
2nd Nov 2005, 11:49
The DC3's excellent, I havent yet gone the aluminium route but it produces superb results.
I initially thought that some of the C130 may have used resin detailing kits which are very good and easy to use, but looking at it he's likely done it all himself, must have taken a while! Looking at it brought back memories of chasing Papa New Guinean cane toads and assorted snakes out of one on the ramp one day! :yuk:

forget
2nd Nov 2005, 15:51
Peter B, Your Dad's DC-3 deserves a place in the experts Gallery at

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/gal-fea.htm

Let's know when you've got it up there.

Peter Barron
2nd Nov 2005, 17:36
forget.

Very nice of you to say that.

I had a look at the site, but have been going round in circles, just can't do it, not very good on computers.

Peter.

treadigraph
2nd Nov 2005, 18:04
Peter, my mate (and modeling mento) Darius posts on ARC - if you want some help, I am sure he'll be happy to assist. PM me.

Treadders

Farmer 1
2nd Nov 2005, 18:09
Aye, them were t'days, when nostalgia was summat else altagither.

Price of an Airfix kit in Woollies? Two bob. Weekly pocket money? Two bob. A little tube of cement included - but no money left over for paint! I had an enormous collection of grey model aeroplanes - had to wait until I was old enough to get a paper round, then things got a bit more colourful.

By the way, the best collection of plastic models I have ever seen was in the Museum of Army Transport in Beverley (no, not the Hills). It was put together, if you'll pardon the pun, by the local MP - no idea who he was, unfortunately. I still cannot understand how he managed to find the time to make them all, there are so many, even if he worked at it full time.

So, for anyone who has the slightest interest in the subject, I cannot recommend it too highly.

Trouble is, I think it's closed.

forget
2nd Nov 2005, 18:12
Well done treaders, I was hoping someone would step in.

Peter Barron
2nd Nov 2005, 18:51
Treadders - forget.

I did PM you Treadders but I think I have just been able to do it.
I have sent it in so they should get it.

Any idea how long it takes to get approved and appear on the site.

Peter.

treadigraph
2nd Nov 2005, 22:14
Just replied to your PM, PB!

No idea, I'll check with Darius tomorrow - think it takes a day or two usually.

Chiz

treadigraph
3rd Nov 2005, 12:10
Apparently it can take up to a month for articles about builds to appear on the ARC forum - apparently just one bloke runs it, and presumably has to fit in uploading submissions around work/family/modelling!

forget
6th Nov 2005, 12:22
This isn't a model! It's a shrunken Corsair. See the rest at

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Park.htm

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/ParkAC24.jpg

pigboat
6th Nov 2005, 22:54
As a subscriber to Finescale Modeller, I'd seen the original article. Awesome really doesn't do it justice. :ok:

forget
19th Nov 2005, 11:33
Now here's something you don't see every day. A proper scale model you can hang on the wall. I know the starboard side reg is wrong - but if I hadn't told you you probably wouldn't have noticed. Things you do when you get bored!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/Untitled-4.jpg

jumpseater
20th Nov 2005, 22:45
Allegedly they've announced for 2006 a 1/72 Nimrod and assorted Canberra's in 1/48th Including B1/2 PR9 and B57. Better nail the wallet closed now then:uhoh:

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Nov 2005, 13:14
Too bad the reg wasn't XX808

incidentally, did you know the word CHOICE is mirror proof? :8

forget
23rd Nov 2005, 13:18
You sure that would work? I'm having some difficulty getting my head around that! Er, yes it would. Er, no it won't.

OK. I've decided - it won't.

MReyn24050
23rd Nov 2005, 16:15
Forget
I think you will find it does. Try it by writing XX808 on a piece of paper on holding it upsidedown in front of the mirror

forget
23rd Nov 2005, 16:24
Ah, but the problem is, with the Lightning (I think) that the reg was readable coming towards you on the right wing and readable going away from you on the left wing. :confused:

So for it to work you have to ---------------- forget it :confused: :confused: :confused:

Conan the Librarian
25th Nov 2005, 18:40
The serial might be one thing, but that looks a mighty dodgy fin for an F.2A/F.6 to me...

Conan

Off-Black
26th Nov 2005, 07:12
CONAN I was just about to say the same thing!
Wing, belly and serial say F.6, fin says F.1/F.2....:confused:
Great mounting though, and the half retracted undercarriage is a cool touch as well. Nice work!:ok:
As a semi useless aside, XR769 was the last Lightning lost in RAF service.
I've got the airfix F.6 in my pending stash, along with some resin and white metal extra bits to flash it up.

forget
26th Nov 2005, 09:08
Conan & Off Black; Full marks, being an ex Vulcan guy I hadn’t noticed, but it’s pretty obvious when pointed out!

I’ll tell you what I think happened. I have an idea for producing high quality mirrored models for office & study display and I wanted a sample. An expert modeller offered to do the Lightning for me. The fin in the model kit is in one piece so I suspect he’s scratch-built a half fin - but from an F1. Ah well.

Anyway, if this works - look out for ‘Airborne Reflections’.

Anybody want a wall mounted VC-10 trailing a centre hose into a - what do you fancy?

Onan the Clumsy
27th Nov 2005, 15:07
If you could do two halves of a VC 10 trailing a (non-centre) hose into only one aircraft. Now THAT would be impressive.

of course there's only one aircraft you could use...ten points for guessing it's identity :8

forget
27th Nov 2005, 15:38
.... wall mounted VC-10 trailing a centre hose into a - what do you fancy?

Current RAF aircraft? Anything you like so long as it's a Nimrod. ;)

Off-Black
27th Nov 2005, 23:49
How about a TSR.2?:E

Conan the Librarian
28th Nov 2005, 21:26
here to collect my ten points Onan. 'tis the Vampire, isn't it?

Conan

Onan the Clumsy
29th Nov 2005, 03:13
:p I told you all it was ...dead easy

Very good Conan add ten points and give yourself a bonus of a five minute rummage in Matron's underwear drawer

forget
30th Nov 2005, 12:02
What's this mean? Vampire? I'm lost. Explain Onan.

Onan the Clumsy
30th Nov 2005, 21:15
:{

Ok, remember the Lightning, or rather the half a Lightning made to look like it was flying because it was mounted on a mirror?

Then someone said they could have a VC10 tanker refueling a little friend...

That'd be ok, with the centre hose, but I said what if it was a wing hose, you'd have two little friends refueling because of the mirror...

...unless the little friend was a Vampire...

...wait for it...

...because you can't see a Vampire in a mirror

:}

forget
30th Nov 2005, 21:53
:p I'm impressed. Good 'sideways' thinking. I've spent hours trying to figure out what's assymetric about a Vampire! DH that is.

teeteringhead
1st Dec 2005, 15:07
But offhand I can't think of a refuelling probe that isn't asymemetric!

Onan the Clumsy
1st Dec 2005, 15:16
What about the VC10?

I think Air Force One does as well

http://images.airliners.net/photos/middle/0/3/3/653330.jpg

http://images.airliners.net/photos/middle/0/9/9/672990.jpg

pics copyright of airliners.net

forget
1st Dec 2005, 15:37
But offhand I can't think of a refuelling probe that isn't assymetric!

.............and Nimrod.here (http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/4/7/0/950074.jpg)

Conan the Librarian
1st Dec 2005, 16:04
Onan, I think I would stick with the latter suggestion in your PM :-)

Conan

Off-Black
5th Dec 2005, 08:29
You could just trail the hose with nothing on the end of it and say it was refueling a Phantom:D

jumpseater
12th Dec 2005, 08:46
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/jumpseater/IMG_6864.jpg

probably:ooh:

Onan the Clumsy
14th Dec 2005, 17:03
Is that the new two hundred pound coin?