PDA

View Full Version : IR before CPL????

Dan 98
4th Oct 2005, 20:52
Hi,
I'm looking at starting my CPL / IR / ME in Mid to late Feb 2006. I'm going to Bristol Flying Centre. I'm after some advice as to whether to do the IR first due to the time of year ( likely to be rubbish weather ) and then do my CPL in May time when there's more chance of VFR weather. Or risk the weather in Feb for CPL!!!!
Has anyone done it this way round and regretted it and wish they'd done the CPL first? Are you likely to struggle doing the IR before the CPL with fewer hours etc..?
Thanks in advance

Dan

pipergirl
4th Oct 2005, 22:07
this has been discussed before and I think the consensus is that the IR before CPL is hard.(have a search, there willbe quite a lot ofposts)
I can see where you are coming from with VFR for the CPL and it is something that I had thought of myself.(I am hoping to do my CPL/IR after Christmas)
My own solution to it is to do the CPL in the states. For me, it is going to be quicker and cheaper and saves the worry of VFR weather in winter for the CPL in the UK.

whatevr you do, best of luck:ok:

Dan 98
6th Oct 2005, 13:19
Thanks Pipergirl. All the best.

Hufty
6th Oct 2005, 14:17
Hi there - I did my IR first (at BFC) and I don't think it really made much of a difference. The things you learn on your CPL will help you with the IR flying but the same is true of the reverse. By the time you get done with your IR you will be a bit more relaxed about the CPL knowing that the most difficult and expensive part is out of the way. Your flying will be sharper and your ability to fly accurate headings and maintain altitude will help you.

I also found that my confidence increased when the IR was over which definately helped my in the CPL. Also it can work out cheaper although I went over hours on my CPL to make sure I was ready and I didn't really save anything!

Hufty.

Sky Wave
7th Oct 2005, 08:40
I did my IR prior to my CPL and I felt that it was a good way to go. For a start once you've got your IR out of the way you only have to do 15 hours to get your CPL. Your flying has been sharpened by the IR and you just need to refresh the Nav techniques that you learnt during your PPL.

The only problem I can see with doing your IR in Feb is the possibility of icing which could stop you flying when it's cloudy. Perhaps re-post with a "UK IR in FEB?" question to see if anyone else knows.