PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your JAA up

Arrowhead
4th Oct 2005, 16:07
I started with a JAA frozen ATPL and type rating, and ended up here in Macau. I therefore now fly on my Macau CPL and A320 IR.

QUESTIONS:
1) How do I keep anything on my JAA license current, and is it worth it (assuming I will go back at some point)?

2) Is it worth me going for the JAA full ATPL now I meet all the hours etc? Can I do the check ride out here? What is involved?

Any help much appreciated

Bounty 53
4th Oct 2005, 22:41
I had the same question, went to JAA and the answer was : with the lpc/opc forms, you can keep your jaa license valid, there will be a restriction though : only valid for HK registerred A\C, cruise relief pilot only. (in my case).

But, bottom line, you can keep things valid !!

sizematters
5th Oct 2005, 00:51
but why on earth would you want to go back to a third world type country such as they have in Europe????
Cold, Expensive and unwelcoming!!

Asia is the only place to be................

Speedbreak
5th Oct 2005, 01:17
Hi Arrowhead,
Are you working for Air Macao?
What's wrong with them?
I ear a lot of stories about that company( low salaries, low house allowances(if you can call it like that)).
First company in the world where the cabin crew has 2 wings, what about the pilot's? 2 wings and one stick....
Also ear that all pilots have to get a tuberculosis test , because of one of the Captain's has TB 3 month ago?
And a few pilot were contaminated? What about some passengers?
Looks to be well managed Air Macao...
Also regarding "maintenance", it's going down and down...
A lot of guy resign last six month...

Good luck at Air Macao...
Cheers...

Arrowhead
5th Oct 2005, 02:23
Thanks Bounty 53

Speedbreak - apart from the low housing allowance (which only pays 75% of a 2-bed appartment), each of your points is incorrect. Cabin crew are fine. TB test is optional. He did not have TB. Maintenance release procedures have changed as a result of Safety Officer's changes last month. And we have lost about 10 captains this year (approx 20% of total), but none in September. ie morale is low, but where isn't it?

Bounty 53
5th Oct 2005, 08:35
but why on earth would you want to go back to a third world type country such as they have in Europe???? Cold, Expensive and unwelcoming!!

Asia is the only place to be................

You're right but everyone can have a reason to do this, in my case : single engine rating ! And belief it or not..... it's 100 % free of charge :ok:

DeltaT
8th Oct 2005, 19:39
JAA licence can be renewed, even if you haven't revalidated the IR previously, as long as the privilages of an ICAO licence with equivalent privilages have been exersized.
You dont even have to worry about the 5yr retest and 7yr lose you ATPL subjects thing.
I think you may have to have a current JAA medical at the time of renewal though

stillalbatross
23rd Oct 2005, 00:54
Arrowhead, go back to the JAA state that issued the frozen licence and ask them. For france you need to do a flt test in an A/C they are happy with and since there are no French JAA approved testing officers in Asia (I think) it means a trip to the Air France sim. I would keep an eye on it all and get your Frozen ATPL converted to full JAA ATPL as soon as possible.