PDA

View Full Version : Putting an IR on an FAA PPL??

genius747
4th Oct 2005, 14:38
Hello,
I'm just a bit unsure about the story with this (as usual many conflicting answers).

If you have an FAA PPL issued on the basis of your JAR PPL with all limitations and restrictions on your JAR liscense applicable, and the FAA PPL only valid if accompanied by your JAR PPL and a valid medical.

Can you put an FAA IR onto this little green credit card?

Thanks for any responses guys 'n gals

G74

B2N2
4th Oct 2005, 16:47
Genius 747, yes you can.
Your restricted license will then read:

"...US instrument test passed.."

You can do all your flying for the Instrument rating as PIC because you hold a US license (restricted but US none the less)

Regards

Charlie Zulu
4th Oct 2005, 16:51
Yes.

The IR will have "US Test Passed" entered next to it, but it will be a full FAA IR nonetheless.

Your FAA PPL will still be restricted to the validity of your JAA PPL though. If you later take the FAA PPL or CPL checkrides / writtens then your licence will be unrestricted and you could then let your JAA PPL lapse if you so wish.

genius747
5th Oct 2005, 01:17
Cheers guys,

But B2N2 Why is it that I could log PIC for the FAA IR training? Should that not be dual time as I would be recieving instruction?

Many Thanks

slim_slag
5th Oct 2005, 10:50
You log training time because you are being trained, and you can log PIC time because 61.51 says you can when you are "the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges". Other regulators may not think that is sensible so will disallow that as PIC time.

genius747
5th Oct 2005, 18:57
Ahh yes, You can log the time as PIC in the eyes of the FAA, but if it goes into your log book as such the CAA will not recognise it for any CAA liscense issue, am I correct? Anybody reinforce this for me?

slim_slag
6th Oct 2005, 12:31
What if you agreed with the instructor before the flight that you were responsible for the safe conduct of the flight. That would make you 'legal' PIC and allow you to log it that way. The FAA instructor shouldn't care because he can log the time PIC anyway purely because he is giving instruction. Would that work with the CAA?

Stpaul
7th Oct 2005, 15:36
FAA Dual PIC
JAA Dual PUT

Hope it helps (you might want to keep 2 log books!)