PDA

View Full Version : RAF Leuchars MCASD 5 OCT 05

Funkie
3rd Oct 2005, 20:42
Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on Mil RT having never flown into or out of a Military Aerodrome before. I’m flying into Leuchars on Wednesday for the MCASD and would be grateful if someone could give a couple of pointers.

Basically, initial contact details, I assume “Leuchars Radar, G-ABCD” and then await response, or I am expected to pass all details, such as a/c reg, location, estimate for MATZ boundary, PPR reference and request recovery on initial contact?

Any other departures from civvie RT I’m likely expect?

The briefing document received covers all bases, such as circuit heights and directions etc, but I just to be a bit ahead of the game. Preparation and all that!

Cheers,

Funkie.

Flak jacket on….

tradewind
3rd Oct 2005, 20:54
As with any Mil base, keep your R/T short and sweet. Bare in mind the controller is probably working the usual Mil UHF frequencies whilst you bell up on VHF - If there is no answer straight away, don't keep on bleating and blocking the airwaves. Enjoy!

PS The main runway (09/27) is on the SOUTH side - the northern taxyway is always a gotcha.

serf
3rd Oct 2005, 21:00
the main runway is actually in the middle, the southern taxiway is on the south side!:D

tradewind
3rd Oct 2005, 21:06
Picky Picky!!

Your right, but the Northern is still the gotcha seeing as a. its straight and b. doesn't go through the HAS site!

tmmorris
3rd Oct 2005, 21:08
Don't quote the PPR number over the air (surprised that wasn't in the paperwork you've had...)

For the MCASDs, they will be expecting gash civilians, so don't worry too much. Read up on military RT in CAP413 and as tradewind says, keep it short & sweet. E.g. first call to Radar/App - 'Leuchars Radar G-ABCD [position] to join' is plenty. If they want more they will ask. They will have your details (a/c type, point of departure, &c) already.

Tim

BEagle
3rd Oct 2005, 21:11
See http://www.scottishaeroclub.org.uk/sac/documents/safetysense26.pdf

Those nice people at Scottish Aero Club have hosted the CAA's Safety Leaflet 26 - Visiting Military Aerodromes.

You will need Adobe to read it as it's in .pdf format.

Funkie
3rd Oct 2005, 21:59
Excellent, exactly what I was looking for.

Tradewind - given the proposed parking area, I would think the runway would be 09/27, which is the big one in the middle!

Tmmorris - the paper work actually suggests that we will be asked to confirm the PPR number with ATC.

Beagle - I’ve had a quick look at the document and it appears to cover everything, as you would expect. One to keep a hold of I think.

Should be a good day.

Many thanks for your time.

Impiger
4th Oct 2005, 19:27
OK I don't mind showing how dumb I am - WTF is an MCASD?

BEagle
4th Oct 2005, 19:37
Military/Civil Air Safety Day

At least you asked, old bean - most folk of your exalted status would have pretended to know and then bluffed it out!

The military invite unwashed spam can drivers (like wot I now is) to a day of useful 'learn about eachothers problems' presentations. Usually very good value.

Ask someone in PR, oops, 'Corporate Comms' - I'm sure they'll brief you in ;)

neilmac
5th Oct 2005, 00:22
Don't forget that mil RT: Land = ur full stop , go around is = overshoot, roll is touch and go, most mistakes made i with around),which is move onto deadside and climb to circuit height

cheers

Neil

tmmorris
5th Oct 2005, 07:06
Pronounced Mc-az-dee, I believe. You can get your logbook stamped, so when the CAA come after you for causing an airprox or the like you can show you are a responsible pilot who tries to remain educated... (plus it counts for the AOPA Wings scheme if you are pursuing that). And you get a free lunch in the Mess...

Tim

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 07:07
neilmac - I think that you'll find the 'go-around' you refer to is a local Benson procedure only and not the same as in CAP413. We have agreed the following with SATCO for our temporary operations from Benson:

Contingency procedures.

a. Go-around. If ATC direct a ‘Go-around’, pilots shall immediately climb away from the approach and reposition on the deadside at circuit height. This terminology differs from the CAP413 definition which is synonymous with the military term ‘Overshoot’.

b. Overshoot. Should it be necessary to overshoot from a visual approach, after carrying out the immediate procedure pilots shall move onto the deadside when safe to do so in order to remain visual with other traffic using the runway.

The use of 'go-around' in this context is actually what was once known as 'round again'.

Funkie
5th Oct 2005, 20:11
Just a quick note of thanks to ATC today, especially given the circumstances which occurred and the review which was taking place.

A good day had by all.

Cheers!

grow45
5th Oct 2005, 21:18
Seconded.

An interesting day out and a chance to learn some new things as well as reinforcing some things we should already know.

Thanks to all those who helped organise it.

g45