PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR Winter Training - How long?

mach252
3rd Oct 2005, 16:51
Hi,

Just finished my ground exams and looking to start my CPL/IR at the end of this month in the UK. Can anyone give me a realistic time as to how long I should expect to complete my training in given the weather here? Looks like I will be training at Bristol or Exeter if that helps anyone who has trained at either airport.

Cheers!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Oct 2005, 07:42
Mach252,

I started my CPL in December 2003, and was ready for test the following March. As you know, the British winters are unpredictable and you will most likley lose quite a few days due to weather, which can be frustrating, especially if you are doing it full time, like I did. If fact, I didn't take my test until May, as I was stupid enough to injure myself playing squash a week before my test, however, that is another story :D.

I think most schools will quote about 3 - 5 weeks for completion which of course depends on the weather.

All the best with your training, you will enjoy it.

Northern Highflyer
4th Oct 2005, 10:25
I started in November 2004 and finished in April 2005, so about 5 months for me. According to the Instructors we were particularly unlucky with the weather last winter and lost a lot of days due to either fog or strong cross winds. We also had a week off for Christmas and Easter which didn't help matters.

sps1013
4th Oct 2005, 14:38
I completed my training in August this year and had mine done in just under 4 weeks. That is quite a record but we were blessed with 95% decent weather.

I have heard that in the months from now until the spring that it is really weather dependent. Having said that a friend of mine in Scotland commenced his in December and was completed by February so not all that bad.

If you are worried then talk to the school, ask around and if all else fails and your not happy then delay the course.

Good luck

tom24
4th Oct 2005, 14:59
Started CPL late August finished just over a month later and missed 4 days of flying due weaather, and oh, was only a four day a week bloke.

Tell me, i'm due to start IR next week. Can i finally loose my obsession with long term forecasts? Is weather a big factor with the IR?

How long do you reckon it'll take me start to finish based on 4 days a week? Obviously answers not taking into account my ability (which i'm probably about to loose faith in once i start this IR lark.......)!

heathrow hawk
5th Oct 2005, 09:18
Its quicker going off to Spain to get the 65hr IR then coming back for the 15hrs CPL did mine in 8 weeks, 6 weeks IR 2 weeks CPL at BCT kemble who were excellent esp Matt Litten the CFI. Time is money. Donīt listen to people when they start harping on about quality training etc most IRs were 16 hrs aircraft the rest Sim, I did 65 hrs 25 Duchess 40 complex twin. Enough said!

Cavallier
11th Oct 2005, 11:22
CAT3 C Autoland

You told us all that you hurt your back drinking squash, not playing it !

The Cav:eek:

AustralianGoose
11th Oct 2005, 12:03
Cat 3 is incredibly thick, please don't base your timings on a man of his limited ability.....

A friend of mine, Graham Kelly, has just completed his CPL/ME/IR altogether in just under 4 weeks - with the right mindset and ability you can do it, he is now flying for a regional in Southern Europe on 320's...

All the best

AG

CaptYanknBank
11th Oct 2005, 14:03
Is Cat 3 still walking around with that strategically placed carrot?:ooh:

AustralianGoose
11th Oct 2005, 15:25
Nope.....Cavalier ate it!!!!!

mach252
13th Oct 2005, 10:59
Thanks for your responses, its given me a better picture of what to expect....and to avoid squash prior to the course!!! Cheers!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th Oct 2005, 12:18
Oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:.

The thread was going nicely until Cavallier and AG stepped in. Cav, you are quite right drinking squash, not playing it.

AG you are one funny guy, I am still glad you have the upmost respect for me, as always :D.