PDA

View Full Version : Techno whinge - My turn!

Conan the Librarian
3rd Oct 2005, 16:35
Sitting here and running on minimums, in the form of the laptop as I try to move the PC and many assorted peripherals, screens,hubs, printers, scanners etc. and feeling just about ready to give it all up and go to the pub.

I know that I have a fair bit of kit and I also know that the matrix of cables, leads and plugs that I am attempting to bung behind a big corner unit, however careful I am, will resemble a ball of spaghetti in hours, without further Human intervention.

There must be a better solution to cable management than this.... Anybody got any clues? While we are at it, these peripherals all seem to need a 3 pin socket. What is the Pprune record for sockets used?

Conan

Mac the Knife
3rd Oct 2005, 19:22
See

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Tidy/index.html

http://www.standsunique.com/accessories.html

and

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/cable_sleeving.html

Buy a big length of square ducting & chuck a lot of cables in there - easier to cut a lot of 6" lengths of the covering and just plonk them on as needed rather than try to figure out where to cut the holes.

My study used to look like a CEGB substation - it's still full of crap, but at least the cables are out of sight and tidy.

Saab Dastard
3rd Oct 2005, 20:45
I find that cable ties (the plastic ones) are quite useful for bundling cables. Also I find that for speaker and other light cables, coiling up the slack and tying it off (with a cable tie) is helpful.

I admit that I am far more careful with rack-mounted kit in a data centre than with my own PCs in my own home, but I refuse to pay myself my hourly rates at home :-)

Conan the Librarian
5th Oct 2005, 15:22
Thanks Fellas,

Too late for this refit.. behind the unit looks like a Dogs' dinner again, or a wayward Spag Bol, but for next tme, I simply throw the lot away and move to a desert Isalnd. Not going through that malarkey again for a few years... But thanks for your tips and not least, your moral support!

Still got loads and laods of cables to fit, but can do this on an "As needed" basis. One needs a night of R&R in the Chav and Ferret tonight and one is damned well going to have it.

Right! Back to the shakedown to see what works and what doesn't...

Conan

PS Looks good though :-)

Evo
5th Oct 2005, 16:36
Well my Mac only has one cable, and that's for power... :p

Conan the Librarian
6th Oct 2005, 00:49
Well, Hic! it was a great night, although late out - but that doen't matter around these parts... Spent a few hours with a good friend who drives A340s (another fashion freak)and he was hacked off that his Mac is misbehaving - again! Yes, I love Macs, but when i comes to add ons and the miles of cable that ensue, I am glad that I have a machine that is (Censored) to start with. I know where I am!

Another two days should do it! Complete integration and who knows, QinetiQ might call with some superb offer.....

yours, from nostril level,

Conan