PDA

View Full Version : Air Officer Dress Standards

Stan Bydike
3rd Oct 2005, 14:26
I just happened to be on an open top tour bus in Central London last Thursday.

I was absolutely amazed to see an Air Cdre, in shirt sleeves uniform, with briefcase etc striding down Piccadilly. What annoyed me was that a hat was nowhere to be seen.

Sounds trivial, and joe public wouldn't ever notice. However, people get bollocked for even going from their car to a sqn hq without headdress so why can't an Air Cdre maintain standards in full public view.

LuckyBreak
3rd Oct 2005, 14:33
bothered.......

BEagle
3rd Oct 2005, 14:40
Well, hold the front page......

:rolleyes:

Gainesy
3rd Oct 2005, 14:42
...maybe he was going to buy a hat?

Fg Off Bloggs
3rd Oct 2005, 15:21
Stan,

3 fairly PPRuNe predictable and immediate responses above but may I commend you for your attempt to maintain standards. There should be no excuse for anyone wearing uniform out of doors without a hat and rank does not draw any differential. Just a warning, however, I nearly dropped myself in the cack recently when I thought I espied a guy wearing KD (inc. shorts) whilst romping in the UK. He turned out to be from an antipodean air force and felt comfier in his tropicals in our August heatwave! He looked a complete jessie, however!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Oct 2005, 17:20
Gainsey

Please see PM.

Maybe the AC thought he was on a flight line and worried about the FOD hazard. Or thought he looked inconspicuous sans headgear?

Max Contingency
3rd Oct 2005, 18:03
All right point taken. I will wear my hat next time.

;)

tablet_eraser
3rd Oct 2005, 21:54
Spot on, Stan... dress regs apply equally to everyone who wears Her Maj's light blue uniform, regardless of rank. I'm sure there was some mitigating circumstance, but an Air Cdre should know better.

It's easier in the Army, of course... given their massive variety of uniforms he could have claimed he was in dress 14L...

:=

Blacksheep
4th Oct 2005, 01:21
Was he a REAL Air Commodore? I was once surprised to find myself behind a scruffy looking Air Vice Marshal in the NAAFI wagon queue, but it turned out he was an extra from a film crew.

Flobadob
4th Oct 2005, 07:28
Just maybe he was the same chap who lost his briefcase with all the Gulf War 1 secrets in many moons ago. His memory still continues to fail him, hence the lack of hat.

Surprised he has not been promoted higher:hmm:

reynoldsno1
4th Oct 2005, 07:39
Didn't realise tranvestism had reached beyond the Wing Commander level....

PPRuNeUser0172
4th Oct 2005, 12:42
Can we please have a forum for people with petty axes to grind, far, far away from the military AIRCREW forum.

I know we could call it the "Blunty Forum", that way they could discuss what floats their boats and likewise with us. ;)

The Rocket
4th Oct 2005, 17:52
So what do you suggest goes in the MILITARY aircrew forum?

A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here

Nothing about any side of the "Blunty" Airforce?

Would Stan Bydyke be banned from posting whatever you disagreed with? Even though he is "military AIRCREW"?

With an attitude like that, your new improved Mil Aircrew forum sounds like it would be a great idea:yuk:

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Oct 2005, 18:46
I'm right behind DS on this one, blunty - ponti - remf whatever your handle s@d off elsewhere and leave this forum for those it was intended for:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Impiger
4th Oct 2005, 19:23
Flobadob

I think the chap you are refering to subsequently left the Service and has since died of cancer.

average pilot
4th Oct 2005, 20:09
Shame, he was a great Sqn Boss, that's if your talking about the officer who took the wrap for the missing case but who was rumoured to have been a scapegoat for a more senior officer,

Pontius Navigator
4th Oct 2005, 20:57
Sucking the hind tit again I expect.

The Rocket
4th Oct 2005, 21:13
Think carefully about the consequences of that ABIW,

Wot no Allan907 to wind up:p :p

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Oct 2005, 21:28
Damn, it's that baldrick humour of mine, just cant seem to grow out of it:p .......still at least I now what teamwork is all about!!

Trumpet_trousers
4th Oct 2005, 21:29
I think the chap you are refering to subsequently left the Service and has since died of cancer

Shame, he was a great Sqn Boss, that's if your talking about the officer who took the wrap for the missing case but who was rumoured to have been a scapegoat for a more senior officer,

Impiger: Correct on one count (leaving the Service,) but I don't think DF would be pleased to learn of his (allegedly) early demise!!

AP:

Concur, and have also heard that version of events from other sources too!!

The Rocket
4th Oct 2005, 21:53
ABIW,

In that case, you should be very proud.

:p :p :p

buoy15
4th Oct 2005, 23:57
Come on chaps and chapesses

Surely a senior officer is allowed to have senior moments, such as forgetting the hat or losing a briefcase.

Working in Main Building is stress-full (so I'm told) but without the sand

Gainsey

Did you notice a brevet? - could have been a Nav looking for Main Building and lost his bearings after leaving home without his Buss Pass (and hat) !

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is Very Tasty

Love many, Trust a Few, Always paddle your own canoe

Gainesy
5th Oct 2005, 08:13
[QUOTE]Gainsey

Did you notice a brevet?

T'wernt me that spotted said chap.

(BTW, when was wearing uniform in public sanctioned? Thought it was verboten since the 1970s, IRA etc?)

JessTheDog
5th Oct 2005, 08:48
Should have b@llocked him! The top of a tour bus is surely a safe enough location from which to shout "YOU! WHERE's YOUR HAT!" and the chances of recrimination are few, assuming you are serving. :D

The only problem is that the story would be too good not to tell and word would invariably get back to the bare-headed one.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 09:02
Shouting a command in a firm military manner often provides amusing results....

A chum of my late father was a Happy Hunter Hero of the 1950s, now passed away. One fine day he and a chum attended another chum's wedding in London. Feeling playful, after the wedding they had a few sherbets, then swayed amiably down to Horse Guards Parade to watch the changing of the guard. As the "Dismount!" order was given, they waited until the troopers were half in and half out of the saddle before bellowing "AS YOU WERE!". Much cursing, dropping of swords and falling out of stirrups followed, much to the utter consternation of the guard commander (or whatever the pwoper cavalwy term is) - wherupon the giggling duo legged it back to the RAF Club sharpish!

Always_broken_in_wilts
5th Oct 2005, 10:36
Rocket,

Subtlety is lost on us mere mortals:rolleyes:

southside
5th Oct 2005, 11:10
when was wearing uniform in public sanctioned? Thought it was verboten since the 1970s, IRA etc?)

Since the threat reduced about 2 yrs ago. Not sure about the crabs or Pongos but in the RN wearing of Uniform whilst ashore is positively encouraged.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 11:32
Goes down a treat in the 'Blue Oyster', I hear.....

Kevin O'Neill
5th Oct 2005, 11:50
From what I've seen; "Security" never really got into East Anglia so no-one there ever bothered about it.

There was another person involved in the "Missing Lap-top Scandal" that was also 'scarred' by the Gulf War plans going missing - The Driver (who was also looking at new BMW's in the showroom at the time) - He was told (allegedly) he would never make it to Sgt and very soon left the RAF to form his own business (and is doing very well thank you).

Its nice to see that bickering isnt just a 'GC' trait!

brakedwell
5th Oct 2005, 14:44
HAS ANYONE SEEN MY HAT?

JNo
5th Oct 2005, 14:59
What he needs is a good dressing (no pun intended) down from a high ranking officer. Someone like a "Senior" Flight Lieutenant should just about do it.

Pontius Navigator
5th Oct 2005, 18:08
A senior flt lt does not have the gravitas. Now the CAS's WO would be a good one!