PDA

View Full Version : Origin Pacific

skywagon
3rd Oct 2005, 01:24
Gidday All !

Whats the go with Origin these days?...Has anyone been called from the last ground course and what sort of shape are they in at present? ....Cheers for feedback.

Sqwark2004
3rd Oct 2005, 02:47
G'day Skywagon

The guys and girls from the last ground course will be starting as fast as they can be trained, (which is not very fast since they only have 3 1/2 training capts.) The first one starts some time this week.

If you are still waiting on a call, then keep updating as it appears they may be having to run another course for both the J31/32's and the J41's shortly.

S2K4eva

Split Flap
3rd Oct 2005, 07:59
Don't forget to bring your own KY!!! You'll need it!!!

ZK-NSN
17th Dec 2005, 23:24
Dont forget a sense of humour...you'll need that too.:}

MOR
18th Dec 2005, 07:17
Is it really that bad at Origin? Sounds like a prison sentence. Anyone got anything good to say about them?

whiteknuckleairlines
18th Dec 2005, 07:29
I am still at a loss to understand all the negativity which comes out when people post on companies such as origin. They are an entry level operator for people coming from GA and give guys a great opportunity for turbine time and RPT. Sure, the money and conditions aren't great but if it's only for a couple of years before bigger and better things then it's not that bad!

Commercial realities exist and you are not going to get paid big dollars to fly the regionals.

I seem to remember that instructing for less than $15000 per year wasn't that flash but there were always bigger and better things ahead!

Capt. On Heat
19th Dec 2005, 05:56
Aren't they getting Embraer 145's soon?

MOR
19th Dec 2005, 07:33
145's... ha ha ha lol "yeah right"

haughtney1
19th Dec 2005, 12:48
Origin and the Taco jet?........ooooh is that a pig that just flew past my window??

MOR
19th Dec 2005, 12:54
Certainly was, a four-engined pig of course, none of those nancy-boy Boeing light twins! Only the finest avian bacon around here... ;)

haughtney1
19th Dec 2005, 22:31
LIGHT TWIN????? hmmmmmm better than four oil leaks connected by an electrical fault..:p

Still, Id like a go on the J41...see how it compares

:}

MOR
19th Dec 2005, 22:43
Well of course they are designed to do that, they used a similar oil system to the Triumph Bonneville. If it isn't leaking, that means there isn't any oil in it! Foolproof.

Still prefer that solid UK engineering to paper-thin American things. Ever seen a 757 after a heavy landing? The upper fuselage skin resembles the surf at Waikiki. Just ask the spotty M boys about that!

The J41 was a pretty good performer from memory, but it lost some of the that edge when they re-designed the cowlings to stop the engines shutting themsleves down.

haughtney1
20th Dec 2005, 00:07
No never seen one old chap:cool: ...landed two days ago at LGW 26L returning empty from chambery (1st trip of the season) weather was 4000m bkn 400 310/20 G35, A/C VERY light..in the vicinity of 63 tonnes..and hence as twitchy as a virgin altar boy:p ...the double bogey just soaked it up.
Having said that, the birdseed 737-400's have more creases behind the mainplane..than Don Johnson had in his suit jacket, ala Miami Vice

Is there any truth to this Origin rumour?..Id have thought theyd be better off gettin the Q400:)

Waka Rider
20th Dec 2005, 05:42
Back on the light twin subject MOR just tankered the weight of a 146 in fuel into LHR from KWI with full pax and 15000kgs of freight. Recall having difficulties with the RJ100 with payload and landing weight restrictions doing BHX-EDI with full pax and EDI wx CAT III. Seemed pretty odd with 146 being a regional aircraft and all.

End of thread creep. Did not think that many airports back home the ERJ 135/145 could operate out of with an effective payload. Had enough hassles with it out of BRS and SOU?

Split Flap
20th Dec 2005, 08:10
If you are at a loss to understand the negativity about working for them, try it for a few months and you will find out! Please remove the flt ops managers knife from your back when you leave, he will need it for the next guy.

wilson dawg
20th Dec 2005, 08:36
Why is Origin thought so badly of? Do they not pay the wages each fortnight, give GA pilots a foot on the ladder, an opportunity to build hours. How is it so bad, I am confused. I was under the impression that when you join any company they tell you the wages and conditions. Shift work, stbys which you get called out on. Weather and tech delays, is this not all part and parcel?

MOR
20th Dec 2005, 09:58
Ahh Chambery... many happy memories of trying to find those toll booths. Not to mention holding over the CBY and ending up in Lyon when the fog was about...

Can't imagine being landing weight restricted into EDI from BHX. Did that route for several years with no such worries. What were you using for an alterrnate?

Anyway, back to Origin. What exactly is so bad? In what way does the Flight Ops manager shaft people?

Maybe I should go work for them and find out. Do they take DE skippers...??? :p

Waka Rider
20th Dec 2005, 14:43
MOR

Maybe its an RJ thing. Usually we used our departure field as alternate for destination BHX-EDI options begining limited in that direction to NCL or ABZ. So we normally planned on back to BHX. No worries to do in ERJ 145 but was MLW tight on RJ, maybe the 146 is better in this regard than RJ.

feather stroker
21st Dec 2005, 03:09
ZK-NSN Where's my xmas card?

MOR
22nd Dec 2005, 04:46
Waka Rider

We generally used GLA or PIK as diversions. There was a time when you weren't allowed to use an airfield within 50nm, but that disappeared from the Ops Manual. I can't remember exactly what it says is required when the destination AD is Cat III. Of course Cat III was never an issue for us.

I'm also reasonably sure that the 146 is lighter than the RJ (typically), but I could be wrong.

Waka Rider
22nd Dec 2005, 07:42
MOR

Normally needed CAT II or better but please do not quote me have changed companies and ops manuals since RJ times but did find this scratching around to highlight the landing weight issues

MTOW 44.2
MLW 40.1
MZFW 37.5

We planned on burning around 2.2-2.5 tonnes an hour. So typically required about 4.5 to do BHX-EDI with BHX as alternate. With a fuel burn of 1.2-1.6 tonnes.

All this seemed to me to be a bit tight for an aircraft designed for short haul operations. I think we crammed something like 110 people in the RJ so we would get close to the MZFW.

craka
14th Jan 2006, 21:18
I hear they may be running a gnd course soon. Any calls yet??

pakeha-boy
17th Jan 2006, 11:49
MOR.....yeah mate!!! I remember some of the "solid UK "Lucas" engineering on my dads "morry" trying to haul ar#e up the gorge from Wgtn to the mighty "poriuaville"....talk about hit and hope.........

Sqwark2004
18th Jan 2006, 02:54
Ground Course starts 30 Jan. Calls should be out in the next couple of days.

MOR
18th Jan 2006, 04:39
pakeha boy

MOR.....yeah mate!!! I remember some of the "solid UK "Lucas" engineering on my dads "morry" trying to haul ar#e up the gorge from Wgtn to the mighty "poriuaville"....talk about hit and hope.........

Oh yes... Lucas - "the inventors of darkness". I used to have a Morry, used to stop every few miles along the Hutt Rd, get out, open the bonnet, tap the Lucas fuel pump a few times to get it going again, get back in, drive as few miles, repeat the process. And don't get me started on the lights... :}

haughtney1
18th Jan 2006, 09:17
Had the the "update" to the Morry..well almost, the mighty mighty Hillman "super avenger"

Fantastic car....I hit a power poll after losing it going around a bend doing about 15mph (an avenger specialty)..needless to say one replacement power poll required..and a pot of touch-up paint:}

Got rear ended by a morry...the driver was moaning about wet drums or something...........

MOR
18th Jan 2006, 10:31
Yeah I had an Avenger too... had a moulded rubber mat instead of carpets. And Humber 80... and a Super Minx... A Chevette... couple of Triumph Stags... my fleet is a little like Origins, old and British!

pungamoose
30th Jan 2006, 09:35
does anyone know how many people were interviewed, and how many got in??

Hugh Jarse
30th Jan 2006, 20:09
Yeah I had an Avenger too... had a moulded rubber mat instead of carpets. And Humber 80... and a Super Minx... A Chevette... couple of Triumph Stags... my fleet is a little like Origins, old and British!

ROTFLMAO MOR:}

Of course, the common thread is electrics by Lucas - "The Prince Of Darkness":E

Personally, I thought the Wolseley 24/80 was more of a chick magnet;)

haughtney1
30th Jan 2006, 20:46
Back on the subject of Origin......a moulded rubber mat??? ewwww

So the new guys they are taking on, what are they putting them onto? 31 or 41..?;)