PDA

View Full Version : Observed Flight Tests

BEagle
2nd Oct 2005, 15:00
When the CAA inflicted the eurocracy of the JAA upon us some years ago, they cocked up the recommendation that Flight Examiners 'should' fly an 'observed flight test' with a FIE, by changing the word 'should' into 'shall'. They were asked to explain why, but failed to do so.

I've done 2 of these utterly pointless flights now and will shortly have to do my 3rd. Out of interest, how much are UK/FE(PPL)s being charged by FIEs for these flights? One I know charges the same as for a full FI revalidation proficiency check - is this normal?

hugh flung_dung
2nd Oct 2005, 16:11
I did my FE renewal earlier in the year, but it was flown as a dummy test rather than being with a real stude.
I really hate the play acting associated with FE and FI renewals and wish it could be done by video recording a real test or series of instructional flights. Although the FIEs do their best it's still not a pleasant experience.

Check your PMs.

HFD

Stampe
2nd Oct 2005, 20:36
£126 fee for my recent (dummy ) test.I,ve been examining for over 20 years and this is the third such test I,ve undertaken.The last two with the same examiner.I,ve never had any formal instruction previously in examining as opposed to instructing and have found the constructive critique regarding my examining technique useful.I realise the authority want more uniformity in testing standards and of course they want their appalling paperwork completed in their desired way.I,m lucky to have found a practical FE examiner who actually makes an effort to earn their fee whilst keeping the experience pleasant.I guess some people are still paying a fee for "lets go fly for an hour" which sadly has been my experience of most FIEs in the past.Still not an easy way to make a moderate living and I did a little of it myself many years ago and thought it was quite the hardest form of flying at which to earn a crust I,ve ever tried.So all power to my examiner!!.Guess newly appointed examiners benefit from two days training on their course and are pointed in the right direction though I was very surprised recently when a newly appointed examiner came to me for some advice and appeared not to understand the paperwork.:ok: