PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a PC

aiglon
2nd Oct 2005, 14:54
I have a Compaq PC with what I assume is a failed HD controller - it won't boot up, saying there is no OS found and I can hear a series of error tones. Anyway, I have used it as an excuse to switch to the Mac. However, now that I have sorted out a new computer, I am still left with one that will work (I hope) if I can instal a new HD controller - then I can use it as a spare PC (or the kids can use it, more to the point). So to the questions!

1. Is this an easy task or should I give up now? I am not that good when it comes to fiddling around with computers but I have managed in the past to instal a new HD and a CD writer.

2. Where is the best place to get the necessary parts? I assume online would be cheaper.

Thanks

Aiglon

Gouabafla
2nd Oct 2005, 15:53
I don't think you can replace the HD controller as such (but I may be wrong) so you may have to replace the mother board. Depending on the age and speed of the pooter, you might want to get a full upgrade kit with a new processor and memory too. Novatech and Maplins (search on Google for URL's) will both do that for you with a variety of prices depending on what you want. Otherwise, you could go for a new mother board - I'd try Ebay.

Hope this helps.

Saab Dastard
2nd Oct 2005, 17:12
Aiglon,

I would be very leery of trying to upgrade a Compaq PC. Compaq and Dell are notoriously non-standard in their component designs - no problem with hard disks, CD / DVD drives and memory, but not processor / MOBO upgrades.

I may be wrong, but I very much doubt that you will be able to get a MOBO for a Compaq other than from Compaq - now HP. And that will not be cheap!

It is not just the physical arrangement of the board and the location of the external interfaces, but also the board power connectors and voltages.

I hope I am wrong (I know nothing of the Compaq Presario Home PC range), but I know a lot about the "Corporate" Compaq PC. If it is a Deskpro - forget it! As a matter of interest, what is the PC in question

Having said that, do bear in mind that the HD disk controller is mostly on the HD itself - have you checked the cables to the disk / tried another HD / checked the disk in another PC? It is the IDE interface controller that is on the MOBO. In my experience, the drive is 100 times more likely to fail than the MOBO.

SD

Spinflight
2nd Oct 2005, 17:37
Sounds more as though the HD has gone down, which does happen. Best thing is to test it in another machine, if its just a few bad sectors then it should be sortable as long as the sectors arn't too critical, though it does sound likely they are on the boot sector.

Ideally you need 2 operating systems to ensure that if one gives up the ghost you can still boot your computer to sort out the first OS. Don't forget that you can always use a Linux (Knoppix etc) bot CD to check your HD.

As for upgrading Saab Dastard is on the mark. Compaq use non-standard components. Then again even just keeping the case (though compaq seem to insist on using the smallest case possible) HD etc can make an upgrade reasonably cheap.

Depends of course on how fast your compaq was and how fast you want it to be. You can happily get a good Athlon or P4 Mobo for 20 odd quid with graphics and audio on board. Just add a processor for £20 and some memory...

I always use scan.co.uk for my hardware but I don't know whether they stock much lower range eqpt.

Dabs is good too but if you're looking at a lowish end upgrade then your local computer fair might be the best place.

aiglon
2nd Oct 2005, 18:52
Saab,

It's a Presario. I haven't checked the HD in another PC yet but that is next on my list. I cannot recall the exact error message (I have disconnected the monitor) but it had something to do with there being problems with the FAT. The HD itself is actually fairly new (about a year).

Aiglon

Saab Dastard
2nd Oct 2005, 23:37
Aiglon,

If the error message is to do with the File Allocation Table, it sounds as if it is the disk, not the MOBO that's the problem.

You should be able to query the BIOS to see if it "sees" the HD at boot - F10 at boot on every Compaq I've ever used.

If the HD is seen in the BIOS but can't load the O/S then it will be a duff HD - or possibly just a corrupted FAT / MBR (master boot record). If either of the latter, then you may be able to re-partition, re-format and re-install an O/S.

If you are going to get a new HD, be careful of the size you go for - depending on the age of the PC the BIOS may not recognise large ( > 60 GB) disks. I have a Compaq Deskpro PIII 600 that's about 4-5 years old and it won't take a disk bigger than 60 GB.

You can always look up Compaq / HP website - you have to search, but almost anything you need to know about your PC can be found (eventually).

If you live anywhere near Twickenham PM me!

SD