PDA

View Full Version : Air south (adelaide)

lostsuitcase
2nd Oct 2005, 13:09
Hello

I am looking for a good flying school in Adelaide area and came across these guys. Does anyone got any positive or negative experiences with them?

They are offering a full time 12 monthly course for oz$60k
with GFPT, PPL, CPL, multi engine, and command multi engine instrument rating

Cheers

maxgrad
2nd Oct 2005, 23:31
Don't know any schools down there but all I can say is PAY AS YOU GO. If not you need to be VERY confident in the school, the instructors and be crystal clear of what you are paying for. Confirm hours or licence(s), a/c type, written subjects etc.
Do this for pay as you go to but you can generally change schools any time if unhappy, with a pay up front all singing all dancing deal, you may not have that option.

182days
3rd Oct 2005, 04:44
One school i know of is FTA, formally BAe. There is no way i would be paying the money up front, but as stated before you need to find out what the $60k covers. If it covers theory as well as all that flying, doesnt sound to bad. I heard of a place at Port Maquarie that is quite cheap, Johnston Aviation or something like that. Shop around because you'll be doing a lot of flying and saving a few dollars here and there is worth it. Also what aircraft endorsements and aircraft you will do your training in is important!

Best of Luck

lostsuitcase
3rd Oct 2005, 07:38
Thanks for the replies!

The course is not in one lump sum but divided in 5 parts

The course is as follows

General start up expenses
uniform, briefcase Medical
Books/ Exams
oz$ 1,080
-------------------
GFPT

30 hrs Dual
5 hrs Solo
1.5 hrs GFPT Test
Test fee
Landing Fees

oz$ 8,880
--------------------
PPL

nav equipment
Maps and charts (12 month)

PPL Theory Course
20 hrs Dual
6 hrs Solo
PPL Test
Test Fee
Landing/ Enroute Fees

oz$ 8,434
---------------------
CPL

CPL Theory Course
Dangerous Goods Course
CPL Exam sitting
Test and Landing Fees
License and Edorsement Fees
7 hrs Solo (C182)
25 hrs Dual
52 hrs Solo

oz$ 21,088
----------------------
Multi Engine Endorsement

6 hrs dual
Endorsement fee

oz$3,150
----------------------

Command Multi Engine Instrument Rating

DAPS
Text books
CIR Theory Course
ASL Exam Fee
20 hrs Sim
3 hrs Dual (172)
5 hrs Solo
7,5 hrs Dual (PA28R)
12,5 hrs Dual (BE58)
CIR Flight Test 3,5
Test Fee

oz$15,765
-----------------------
total oz$ 58,317

So how does this look?

Comments much appreciated!

Cheers

maxgrad
3rd Oct 2005, 07:45
Content and course...will let wiser heads answer there.
What if you do extra flying to make standard? What cost or is there an agreement on the licence? Look very closely at the fine print.
On an aside it is good that it is in 5 parts, but if you leave at any stage do you need to backtrack to pick up where you were?

(Had six pack on days off so hope this makes sense):O

Chadzat
3rd Oct 2005, 11:56
lostsuitcase, is their syllobus up to date? Because I have been looking for a 182 for hire in PF for yonks.

As for the fine print issue.....don't lock yourself into anything! You may fid that if you need to do extra hours they charge and extra high rate.

lostsuitcase
3rd Oct 2005, 12:29
They gave me this form last week after a half a hour talk. And the guy assured me that there were no hidden cost.

He said in a nutshell that they were working with "older & experienced" instructors and using a BE58 multi engine plane because it was most widely used in Australia.

what.. is yonks?

dude65
3rd Oct 2005, 22:17
Mr. Case

You would do better if they had a system where they ran an account for you that was topped up every couple of weeks. With electronic banking the transfers are almost instantaneous. This should keep everyone happy.

DO NOT PAY UP FRONT!

This takes all control out of your hands and allows them to do as they please. Remember who's doing who the favour here. You're a customer first and a student second.

Don't let them forget that.

lostsuitcase
4th Oct 2005, 06:47
Yes I will never ever pay up front!!! that's for sure

But to go back to my original question.
Does anyone know this flying school??

Are there other possibilities to find out if they are any good?

Do they have to be a member of some quality organisation?

Thank so much for the replies so far.

Cheers

Chadzat
4th Oct 2005, 11:44
in answer to your questions in order.

1. No
2. Yes...a TIF or just spend some time down there for a part of a day, see what the atmosphere is like.
3. No, they don't have to be some member of a quality organisation, I have been to one such FS and their quality was pretty average!

I say again, don't pay any lump sum.

Oh and yonks means A LONG TIME.

Poto
5th Oct 2005, 04:49
Don't remember back that far to be honest, in terms of actual costs, however "General start up expenses" alone sounds a little high.

Look on the CASA website for a DAME and ring for an initial class 1 medical quote. Find out what texts they are using and get quotes from suppliers. Find out exam costs from CASA website also.

theory courses are a bit if rort in my opinion. I did a couple of ATPL subjects (that I felt were harder for me) at a theory school. The rest I managed ok with homestudy. (Infact I was so "into" it that it was the most enjoyable study I have ever done.)

It depends on your study technique/time available etc.

Any questions you may have while studying should be answered by your instructor "as you go" really.

If you have the time/smarts and organisational skills look for a training provider who charges you only when the prop is turning with minimal additional charges.

Uniforms for me are worn when my employer supplies it (or at very least is paying me to show up and look the part):ok:

Happy training. Its meant to be enjoyable:8

Ozgrade3
5th Oct 2005, 06:24
Go and see Bill Whitworth at Bankstown. It will cost you maybe $35.000 with Billl and you can put the $25,000 you will save towards getting some experiance and your first job. Even other schools at Bankstown are cheaper than the Adelaide option.

60 Grand seems an awful lot of money for what you get.

PM me if you want some further help

From what I hear Airsouth seem to be a decent mob. But for that price you want endorseents on a couple of twins and lots of icus to be thrown in.

Get it all in writing before hand.

dude65
5th Oct 2005, 08:30
Mate
Go to this address and have a look at the prices. Go to the flight training tab.This crowd are looking at charging you 30% more. It will start to add up over the course of your training. I'm not saying to come fly in QLD, just giving you a price comparison.

www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au

Please note Woomera that this is not an add for the above organisation