PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Ettiquette for GA warriors

Horatio Leafblower
2nd Oct 2005, 09:19
Team,

I am just kicking off my third logbook :rolleyes: and I am looking at all those ratings and endorsements entered in the front of logbook #2 (Logbook #1 was before all this :ouch: )

What do you do to make your current logbook reflect all the things you did previously? If it had to be entered in the previous logbook to be valid is it invalid if not entered in this one?

I would appreciate your advice, folks.

Capt Claret
2nd Oct 2005, 09:48
Horatio old son, how be thee?

I am part way through log book 5 (I think) and admit that when starting the last two, I haven't summarised anything, just carried the totals over.

My opinioin is that not entering a summary of past experience doesn't negate the experience, just makes CV/Resume writing some what difficult as you'll no doubt start it on an overnight some where and not have the old log book with the data at hand.

I suspect that if interviewing and not being able to proffer a duly summarised log book, some interviewers might take a dim view. In reality, does it matter?

brisbane observer
2nd Oct 2005, 10:56
Capt Claret

5 log books WOW AMAZING

HL, just take all your logbooks to your interviews. They should have a summary of your experience anyway from your application.

5 log books UNBELIEVABLE

scrambler
2nd Oct 2005, 11:15
I photocopied mine and stuck them in the front for the first change over, next time I decided to not bother with it.
The endorsements in the old log book would still be current, I agree just drag them all with you to the relevant people for interviews / renewals etc.

Desert Duck
2nd Oct 2005, 22:06
Horatio

Buy a couple of extra logbooks - if you are going to be flying for a while, and then find a bookbinder and have three or four made into one thick log book - saves a lot of hassles and will be commented on at any interview.

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Oct 2005, 23:08
Great idea,
when your logbook goes missing (for any number of reasons) you wont lose 2 years worth of flying; you will lose 6 or 8 eight years. Brilliant!
I'm sure those comments from the interviewers will be rolling on in!

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

iceblock
3rd Oct 2005, 05:58
Not if you make copies of relevant pages as you go and occasionally the most recent ones...

Of course you would not store these in the same place as your logbook...

John Eacott
3rd Oct 2005, 06:26
5 log books UNBELIEVABLE

My first three (mil) books are bound together, which would be neat if I could do something similar with the civvie books. Up to No 7 now, and very tedious to transfer previous details.

One very helpful carry over from military days is to have a monthly summary, and an annual summary, broken into aircraft types.

Electronic logbooks are certainly easier to keep, though :ok:

Capt Claret
3rd Oct 2005, 08:35
John,

Do you use an electronic log book? If so, which one and why that one?

Thanks in advance.

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Oct 2005, 11:16
Clarrie old Boy,

I am fighting fit and Mrs B is in foal. Hope LuvvE is well at your end of the continent.

I must admit I too have baulked at adding up all those hours in various models of bugsmasher but it aint them that brings the question about - it's the ratings, endorsements etc. that were once kept in a wallet-style licence... and then on a sheet of paper at the BACK of your logbook... and then on sticky strips and added pages in the FRONT of your logbook... and are now kept in this wonderfully new and original wallet-style licence :yuk:

I suppose to be logical about it, one doesn't need to get their first solo endorsement re-entered in all their subsequent logbooks :}

I think I'll take Bris Obs/ Scrambler's advice and drag 'em all around.

Cheers

pakeha-boy
3rd Oct 2005, 18:03
Soooooooooooo....Capt Claret.....how much of those "5" logbooks is "Pencil Time" AY!!!!!......:D :p

Capt Claret
3rd Oct 2005, 20:25
pakeha-boy

None, it's all biro. :p :=

John Eacott
3rd Oct 2005, 21:16
Claret,

We use a company-designed F & D time/log book combo, Excel based. Seems to work for me ;)

Oh, and "biro"? Dear chap, a proper log book should be in proper ink :p :ok:

Robert Langdon
3rd Oct 2005, 23:03
Just off track abit but I'm about to buy a new logbook and I was wondering what sort of logbook is a decent type (the old Cessna pilot log doesnt really do it for me anymore!!)

Capt Claret
4th Oct 2005, 00:38
John,

Thanks.

As I never passed neat writing at school, if I were to use real ink, there'd be so many smudges that no one, let alone me, could read my chicken scratchings! :\

4SPOOLED
4th Oct 2005, 05:20
you can get the triple size log books from most pilot shops, although i admit i am using the thin biscuits still...

Counter-rotation
4th Oct 2005, 11:39
Leafy,

Why the question? Is it about interviews, or legality, or something else?

As said above, for interviews just take 'em all. I don't think previous sticky strips need to be re-entered in subsequent books to be legally valid.

I am only on number 2 book (3+ to go eh Clarrie et al). My first one is in a SAFE PLACE. Number two book at work has my wallet style licence (the pages minus the "wallet" thing) in the front - it lists ALL endorsements you hold. Also record of flight crew exams passed. When flying I carry the credit card thingy plus medical to satisfy the requirement for "licence and medical on board".

Wouldn't be nice if they'd get a system and stick to it?!

CR.:rolleyes:

pakeha-boy
4th Oct 2005, 15:11
CC...Good answer :suspect:

jandakotpilot
4th Oct 2005, 18:38
Having the oversized 'professional' logbooks spoils the self-satisfaction of completing a logbook.
As for electronic logbooks that were mentioned earlier, does anybody have any recomendations??

Lodown
4th Oct 2005, 18:50
Show you're a pilot of the 21st century. Keep your records on Excel and a backup on a USB memory stick. Take the memory stick to your interview on a string around your neck with the last 30 entries or so on a single-sheet printout.

mattyj
5th Oct 2005, 19:47
buy a fountain pen..stick it in your wrist and write your hours in blood..looks great at interviews and shows your committment to aviation:ok: :ok: