PDA

View Full Version : Leaving?

rotordoter
1st Oct 2005, 19:28
Leaving (again after the 9/11 fiasco), heard a rumour that if you're in your final year and you get a positive job offer then you can be released before terminal leave/resettlement kicks in. Does anybody have any examples/case studies with timescales?

The Helpful Stacker
1st Oct 2005, 19:35
I was at Locking with a lad who got offered a job when he still had 10 months to serve but he was released early to take up the job.

As it happened he was still officially in the RAF which is why 8 months later he got picked up for promotion which considering the job he was in was paying £36K a year basic he strangely turned down.

I believe it depends on if your trade is over-manned, whether they can spare you or not and if it effects the RAF's operational ability at all.

Yellow Sun
1st Oct 2005, 20:37
rotordoter

heard a rumour that if you're in your final year and you get a positive job offer then you can be released

That certainly was the case when I left under those terms. However the Queen was 16 years younger then so I would suggest that you check to see whether the concession is still available. The deal was that you left on PVR terms.

YS

leopold bloom
2nd Oct 2005, 06:33
Just write letter to your desk officer outlining your case. If he's a reasonable sort he'll let you go early, worked for me. I don't think there is any entitlement though, each case is judged on it's merits.

MrBernoulli
2nd Oct 2005, 07:19
Your current Boss will also likely have to agree that he can manage with the loss of your 'manpower' - your desk officer will contact him/her about that.

Megaton
2nd Oct 2005, 07:41
I left about 3 months before the start of resettlement/terminal leave. Double earnings for 6 months eased the transition very nicely :)

PUP
2nd Oct 2005, 07:44
About 5 years ago it was in QRs, probably still is! You can leave up to one year early, but it does have a small effect on pension or gratuity, I can't remember which but its all there in black and white. Also most posters knew (still know?) all about it because for them someone invoking it was a nightmare scenario!!

crabbbo
2nd Oct 2005, 10:16
I have recently left. I had a job offer which wanted me out 3 months before all my resettlement, terminal leave and remaining annual leave kicked in prior to my 16/38 point. Despite my CO being very supportive and happy to let me go early the Stn would not give me gardening leave and the poster would not post me ineffective or give me 3 months grace. Following lengthy discussions with PMA the only way i managed to get out 3 months early was to PVR. The PVR was supported and i was allowed to leave on the day i wanted. However, the drop in pension is about £1500/year due to going on to PVR rates despite it only being due to 3 months and already having qualified for the pension. A 'lovely' way to leave after 19 years service but i am so glad i did despite the financial penalty.

The Gorilla
2nd Oct 2005, 12:28
I left 2 years ago, SNCO under PVR scheme after 28 years service. Received a written job offer on 18 Apr 03 for a start date of 28 Aug 03. PVR submitted 19 Apr 03, I got the usual party line from PSF via telecom with Innsworth. No chance, 12 months minimum etc etc. The secret with the PVR paperwork is to ensure that PSF stamp the front page of the form prior to your taking it away for your boss to peruse. Due to a number of minor problems the form was not sent off Stn until 17 May 03, but the original stamp date was honoured.

You then have to present a good case as to why you should be allowed to leave early (in service writing format because it goes to 1 * level and possibly beyond) and every case is different and treated to its needs. You MUST keep your desk officer on side at all times or you have no chance!!!

I was successful, last day in uniform 30 Jun 03 with an exit date of 30 Sep 03. I did get some initial aggro from the resettlement jobs worth about working whilst on leave but what they don’t know officially doesn’t hurt!!

:ok:

engineer(retard)
2nd Oct 2005, 13:01
Gorilla

Keep one eye on tax and NI whilst you are ovrelapped. In my case the IR came after me for back tax (about £1250) but I also had to chase to get back excess NI (£600).

regards

retard

JessTheDog
2nd Oct 2005, 15:13
I PVRd relatively recently and managed to get a 1 month reduction, largely thanks to someone in the Innsworth chain I had worked for before (my eternal gratitude if you ever read this) after an initial knockback from the desk officer.

The Gorilla
2nd Oct 2005, 16:35
engineer

Thanks, I only had a problem with NI as I was on training pay for the rest of the tax year and I ended up with a large tax rebate!!. Had to chase around to get the NI back though.

Regards
TG

:O

Hammer Head Too
5th Oct 2005, 19:27
I PVRd recently too. Because the job I was going for was linked to WLS at Waddo I held onto my original papers (and dates) waiting for the dirty deed to be signed. On signature I thought I'd give it a go and slung the original papers in.

PMA? No probs at all, only too glad to get rid of me...with resettlement, terminal leave etc I left 11 days before PMA got the PVR !! Smilin like the Cheshire Cat.

HH2

moony
5th Oct 2005, 21:32
After 35 years in Air Traffic, I decided to PVR after getting a job offer to work in the VC10 Sim at Brize. My PVR letter went in mid November 2004 with a requested release date of 30 January 2005. In the first week of January my boss told me that my paperwork had been lost. I had a call later on from OC PMS, went and filled some forms in and about 10 days later, received notification that my PVR was accepted and I would be released from service as requested.
Moony

maxburner
6th Oct 2005, 07:59
It was certainly true in my case, but I think it helped that I chatted it through with my desk officer and had my boss onside as well.

The NI gotcha is quite easy to overcome with a letter to the NI contributions office - P2 should be able to furnish the address. As I recall, you nominate the income you want NI stopped from, on a government form of course, and hey presto, it all happens. They follow up every few months to see that the situation remains as you described it. Tax, however, is another problem. Write to your tax man and let him know the situation.

miles magistrate
6th Oct 2005, 08:17
It works the other way as well. My departure date was 2 days to early to entitle me to claim a whole terms Boarding School Allowance. You have to be serving at least one day of the new term and cannot claim part of the term. It was a hefty sum (10 years ago now), I was able to request a 2 day extension - it was granted, no drama.